Was there ever a rumour (or more) about JTTCOTE coming to WDW?

Spike-in-Berlin

Original Poster
Since I saw videos about Journey to the Center of the Earth in TDS on youtube and elsewhere I am absolutely fascinated by this ride, I consider it one of the major reasons to visit TDS (and entire Mt. Prometheus of course) and one of the most fascinating rides in the world of Disney attractions. My favorite unbuilt ride at WDW is Fire Montain (there is still some hoping for an AL expansion in the far future) and it incorporates several elements of the TDS ride, although the technology in TDS is the of Test Track and the original idea comes from DLP. BTW if they would have built this ride there instead of the SM Paris version, I would have visited Paris for this ride alone several times, the same with the cancelled Indiana Jones Ride, instead they built one of the worst Disney rollercoasters ever.
But I only know of the plans for Fire Mountain in the MK in Adventureland, were there however also plans or at least credible rumors about JTTCOTE coming to WDW at sometime? I am talking about rumors in the category of Fire Mountain and Carsland DHS not mere fanboy fantasies.
And of course I would greatly appreciate any comment, additions about the topic in this thread as well how you would like the idea, the ride or something similar at WDW. Imagine e.g. a WDW Fire Mountain sub-land of AL, similar to MT. Prometheus, featuring a volcano rollercoaster in the upper part (Fire Mountain) and a JTTCOTE clone in the lower part with the mountain erupting in real flames every hour or so like its Tokyo counterpart.

FettFan

JTTCE was originally planned for DHS Backlot Tour, but budget constraints forced them to scrap it. Catastrophe Canyon wasn't going to be all by its lonesome.

Spike-in-Berlin

Original Poster
JTTCE was originally planned for DHS Backlot Tour, but budget constraints forced them to scrap it. Catastrophe Canyon wasn't going to be all by its lonesome.

If I get this right they only planned a section of the Backlot Tour with an underground scene in a volcano where the lava monster (a truly amazing AA in TDS although smaller than planned in DHS) appears and attacks the vehicles, not an entire ride like in TDS, especially not a true E-Ticket ride. If they would build this one in DLP (where it was planned as a part of their TL, "Discoveryland") I would definitely visit that park again. Instead they built another Space Mountain, bad idea.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

If I get this right they only planned a section of the Backlot Tour with an underground scene in a volcano where the lava monster (a truly amazing AA in TDS although smaller than planned in DHS) appears and attacks the vehicles, not an entire ride like in TDS, especially not a true E-Ticket ride. If they would build this one in DLP (where it was planned as a part of their TL, "Discoveryland") I would definitely visit that park again. Instead they built anothere Space Mountain, bad idea.
Where have you seen Journey to the Center of the Earth as an alternate to Dicovery Mountain, which appears in some of the earliest art for Discoveryland?

Spike-in-Berlin

Original Poster
Where have you seen Journey to the Center of the Earth as an alternate to Dicovery Mountain, which appears in some of the earliest art for Discoveryland?

JTTCOTE was not planned as an alternate to Discovery Mountain, it was planned as a part of it. Just like Mysterious Island and Mt. Prometheus in TDS it was designed as the location of several attractions, one of them being JTTCOTE, although in a slightly different design.

See here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_to_the_Center_of_the_Earth_(attraction)

and here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Mountain:_Mission_2

lazyboy97o

JTTCOTE was not planned as an alternate to Discovery Mountain, it was planned as a part of it. Just like Mysterious Island and Mt. Prometheus in TDS it was designed as the location of several attractions, one of them being JTTCOTE, although in a slightly different design.

See here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_to_the_Center_of_the_Earth_(attraction)

and here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Mountain:_Mission_2
The ride included as part of Discovery Mountain was a first generation Intamin freefall ride. That is not a slightly different design, but a very different and much shorter design. You'd go up and come down. Not at all comparable to what was built at Tokyo DisneySEA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freefall_(ride)

Mike S

I remember when I was just a lurker here there was a rumor that it would replace the speedway in Tomorrowland. Looking back I don't remember how credible that was.

cheezbat

I remember when I was just a lurker here there was a rumor that it would replace the speedway in Tomorrowland. Looking back I don't remember how credible that was.
If only something like that would happen. Speedway sucks, has low capacity, and takes up a huge chunk of land.

Spike-in-Berlin

Original Poster

That would come close to a dream solution, get rid of a very outdated, noisy and annoying eyesore and get a true, immersive and fascinating E-ticket ride for the MK at the same time. That's why I am quite sure it was only a rumor, that's not the way of the present TDO management.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom