Was the American Adventure Gingerbread House put up in 2013?

John

Christmas Update from 2013:

The ski chalet that's usually installed in the American Adventure was placed in the Boardwalk Resort, which did not have its own display for the first time in years. The smaller gingerbread houses that were spread throughout the other Deluxe resorts weren't made for 2013, either. The Grand Floridian, Beach Club, and Contemporary kept their displays.

The poinsettia trees that once graced all of Epcot as well as the International Gateway entrance were cut in 2012 to just the main and back entrances, and in 2013 to only the main entrance.

MVMCP capacity was raised in 2013 to proportionally match the "new" capacity of the MK, which is now internally considered to be about 95K, nearly 20K more than last year. They credit FLE for the new space since one C-ticket dark ride and a restaurant are supposed to handle 20,000 additional bodies. By the way, the MK starts to feel busy when it hits 45K.

Nearly the only way to secure a seat for the Candlelight Processional was to purchase a dining package.

The Studios did not install most of its garlands, which were sold off in Property Control earlier in 2013 for about $4 apiece. Also, the film strip at the Studios Christmas tree base once had stills from the animated short "Pluto's Christmas Tree," but those were replaced with random clip art of generic toys.

Animal Kingdom kept nearly all its prior decorations.

The Jingle Cruise lost most of its holiday script by mid-December, with many skippers tossing in an occasional joke instead of following the proper WDI script used in DL.

I'm sorry for sounding gloomy; that's simply a list of what happened last year. If you want good news, you can rejoice that the delicious gingerbread cupcakes returned to quick service food locations, although you may have noticed that the cupcakes, like all other portions, were smaller in 2013.

Cuts, cuts, cuts doesn't Disney realize what they are doing when they make these cuts. Its cutting the Disney difference. Its funny when I hear people say " I never notice any of these things" "when I go I have a wonderful time". Which I am sure they do. Its just so disappointing that this is the standard of todays WDW. Then I see apologist that say because of the size of WDW maintenance is a problem. Funny WDW isn't that much bigger then it was 15 years ago and the place is no where near as kept as it was then. On top of this the parks have never been more profitable.

In the end why should Disney care? The place still packs them in. There is anecdotal evidence that occupancy is down during the Christmas season. I am not surprised given the fact that is the most expensive time a year to stay on property. Can you imagine paying what amounts to a mortgage payment for one night at the Gran Flo?

COProgressFan

The ski chalet that's usually installed in the American Adventure was placed in the Boardwalk Resort, which did not have its own display for the first time in years. The smaller gingerbread houses that were spread throughout the other Deluxe resorts weren't made for 2013, either. The Grand Floridian, Beach Club, and Contemporary kept their displays.

The poinsettia trees that once graced all of Epcot as well as the International Gateway entrance were cut in 2012 to just the main and back entrances, and in 2013 to only the main entrance.

MVMCP capacity was raised in 2013 to proportionally match the "new" capacity of the MK, which is now internally considered to be about 95K, nearly 20K more than last year. They credit FLE for the new space since one C-ticket dark ride and a restaurant are supposed to handle 20,000 additional bodies. By the way, the MK starts to feel busy when it hits 45K.

Nearly the only way to secure a seat for the Candlelight Processional was to purchase a dining package.

The Studios did not install most of its garlands, which were sold off in Property Control earlier in 2013 for about $4 apiece. Also, the film strip at the Studios Christmas tree base once had stills from the animated short "Pluto's Christmas Tree," but those were replaced with random clip art of generic toys.

The Jingle Cruise lost most of its holiday script by mid-December, with many skippers tossing in an occasional joke instead of following the proper WDI script used in DL.

I'm sorry for sounding gloomy; that's simply a list of what happened last year. If you want good news, you can rejoice that the delicious gingerbread cupcakes returned to quick service food locations, although you may have noticed that the cupcakes, like all other portions, were smaller in 2013.

Sigh....

It's just such a shame. There is nobody at TDO or even in Burbank who looks at the whole picture of a WDW visit. It's just cut, cut cut, quarter after quarter, year after year, with accompanying price increases.

WDW was used to be a magical place, and even more so during the holidays. But they certainly seem hell bent on ruining it don't they?

71jason

I also noticed the weekly drop in seasonal jokes. My friends in MK GR don't know of any complaints. It seems someone simply decided to be a Scrooge.

The Skippers were not happy with the new jokes. Combination of their general dislike of being told how to be funny by suits in Burbank and the general consensus that at least 70% of the jokes were dumb/forced.

71jason

Eventually those kiosks will be permanent, I swear. F&W, FG, Christmas... Why even take them down?

Uhm, feel free to correct me, but as far as I remember every kiosk that offered a holiday menu is permanent. The two in Germany and the China one have been there for a few years now, Fife & Drum in AA, the dessert/champagne booth near Canada. Unlike F&W or even F&G, there was nothing "new" for Christmas except the merchandise kiosks outside AA (which have been there for at least a few Christmases).

mm52200

I guess I don't understand the cuts to existing decorations. I imagine it doesn't cost that much to maintain simple garlands and other things like that and it shouldn't cost much to put them up. They own the decorations already so I'm just trying to figure out the benefit in not putting up additional garland here and there. Also why would they sell off decorations? It all just confuses me.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
If that's the case, I misunderstood what kiosks are around during the holidays. I didn't bother to go to Disney during that time.
I'll default to your knowledge.

71jason

If that's the case, I misunderstood what kiosks are around during the holidays. I didn't bother to go to Disney during that time.

It was all very understated. More like the Pumpkin Spice Funnel Cake or the Holiday Sandwich at Earl (both of which are now permanent menu items, so bad examples). I doubt 95% of guests even realized that the menu additions was supposed to be "new" and "different." But no place was selling alcohol (or food for that matter) that isn't already open the rest of the year.

Goofnut1980

I for one, love Disney at Christmas. But this year some of the cuts just seemed silly. Why would you take down the garlands from HS... They totally fit the era of that park and the park seemed blah! Plus, I don't understand why HS and AK put their trees outside the park.

The Jingle Cruise, while I thought was going to be neat, it was lack-luster. Jokes were not good and the decorations were only at the entrance. They could have easily decorated with a few garlands on the temple or other show scenes... I just wanna see so much decorations it makes me sick! hahaha

tahqa

I can' think of a good place to put the tree inside DAK, where it wouldn't cause serious traffic problems. I'm pretty sure DHS used to put their tree where the BAH is now located.
From our good friends at Imaginerding

disney-mgm-studios-2000.png

erstwo

Interesting that they raised the MVMCP attendance. By all reports you'd never know.
All three of my friends who attended (different days & different weeks - Nov & Dec.) sold out MVMCPs this year with their spouses and children informed me the parties were the highlight of their MK time. Totally worth the extra money and the place felt empty after the first parade. Rides were virtually walk on.
I understand that non sold out might have been the same as years past, but If they raised the ticket number, and it still felt empty/ worth the money that makes it even more impressive.

Disneygal1

I noticed a lot of features were missing. HS axed the large nativity, which they always use to have. Boma's gingerbread display has been gone quite sometime now. Maybe Disney is trying to be sensitive to its guests, who do not celebrate Christmas...

JWG

Interesting that they raised the MVMCP attendance. By all reports you'd never know.
All three of my friends who attended (different days & different weeks - Nov & Dec.) sold out MVMCPs this year with their spouses and children informed me the parties were the highlight of their MK time. Totally worth the extra money and the place felt empty after the first parade. Rides were virtually walk on.
I understand that non sold out might have been the same as years past, but If they raised the ticket number, and it still felt empty/ worth the money that makes it even more impressive.

Well we attended in 2012 on a non-sold out night and it felt packed. I made the comment I was paying for the true Christmas experience crowd and all. That being said, it was just the hub/mainstreet. We did the castle lighting, first parade, castle picture show and fireworks so spend 3 hours on mainstreet. Once we left mainstreet it was just fine and not crowded at all. So, we did get 2+ hours of ride time that was reasonable.

GoofyFan1

We had lunch in Liberty Inn on Christmas Eve and there was no Gingerbread House there like previous years. There was a Santa and Mrs. Claus meet over by the new restrooms and the extra little kiosks selling Dept 56 figures, Precious Moments dolls and other seasonal items over in that area too as previous years. But no Gingerbread House for sure.
Thank you for answering the original question. I was looking on my iPhone and was sure I touched something and changes threads. Still not really smart enough for my smart phone.

hpyhnt 1000

Man, thats a depressing list. Guess those Magic Bands don't pay for themselves.

tirian

I noticed a lot of features were missing. HS axed the large nativity, which they always use to have. Boma's gingerbread display has been gone quite sometime now. Maybe Disney is trying to be sensitive to its guests, who do not celebrate Christmas...
The nativity is still there.

People go during this time of year knowing that the parks celebrate Christmas. There's no reason for Disney to be hyper-sensitive about it. :)

Disneygal1

The nativity is still there.

People go during this time of year knowing that the parks celebrate Christmas. There's no reason for Disney to be hyper-sensitive about it. :)

Really? I was just there, and it was gone. Did they move it to a new location?

71jason

Really? I was just there, and it was gone. Did they move it to a new location?

Yes, hard to describe, but basically between the two alleys in Streets of America. Believe it moved there in 2012. The prime real estate it used to occupy is now used for a Santa Goofy meet-and-greet.

PhotoDave219

Now that the 2013 Holiday Season is ending, I was researching for my trip later this year, and it seems as though there was a reduction in entertainment and decorations in 2013?

Off Kilter seems to have been replaced with Canadian Holiday Voyageurs, but was "Nowell, the Canadian Holiday storyteller" still there?

Also, was the Gingerbread House at The American Adventure put up in 2013? Or was this replaced with the Gingerbread Village in The Land?

It was not at American Adventure in 2013. I was told it was due to a new head pastry chef at Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom