Wannabe Photographer

Zipadeelady

Original Poster
@fractal, I'm still a hot mess when it comes to settings. I feel like I'm all over the place. Tell me I will get it in time. I forgot all about the eye auto focus I set up awhile ago.:rolleyes: and I'm going to have to look up focus peaking because I forgot what I read about that too. Unfortunately I'm one of those people that needs repetitiveness to learn anything or at least since I've turned 40.

I plan to go out again later today and shoot some more. I do have an account on Flickr. I used the same name, zipititdoda. All the pictures on that account are from quite awhile ago and there isn't very many. But it will be a good place to put my photos while I'm learning, so I can go back and look at them. Thanks for the reminder.

Jahona

I'm still a hot mess when it comes to settings. I feel like I'm all over the place. Tell me I will get it in time. I forgot all about the eye auto focus I set up awhile ago.:rolleyes: and I'm going to have to look up focus peaking because I forgot what I read about that too. Unfortunately I'm one of those people that needs repetitiveness to learn anything or at least since I've turned 40.

Hey we were all in you're shoes starting out. Photography beyond just point and shoot is somewhat complex. You don't feel like you have to learn everything at once, slowly progress into shooting. Learn the three major settings for your camera; F-stop, shutter speed, and ISO. Once you've learned those three you can start to mess with more advance features of your camera. You also don't have to always shoot in manual. Hop on over to Aperture priority and see how the camera handles settings as you change your F-stop. Then switch over to Shutter priority and do the same but with Shutter Speed. You'll find that the two settings are like a scale. Increase one variable and the other will decrease.

You have the advantage of working with digital from the start. You can almost always see right away how your images are going to look. When I started with film it was always a surprise afterward if any of my photos turned out.

Zipadeelady

Original Poster
Thank you @Jahona for that. I do need to learn some patience.

The local library has pushed back the photography class to July and I'm real excited for that to start. To be honest I haven't read much of my Understanding Exposure. I maybe tonight I should read instead of turning on the TV. :)

I would love to look at more of all of your photos. Please let know if you have a flickr account!

drizgirl

Thank you @Jahona for that. I do need to learn some patience.

The local library has pushed back the photography class to July and I'm real excited for that to start. To be honest I haven't read much of my Understanding Exposure. I maybe tonight I should read instead of turning on the TV. :)

I would love to look at more of all of your photos. Please let know if you have a flickr account!
Definitely stop putting off reading Understanding Exposure. It's a very important piece of the puzzle.

Zipadeelady

Original Poster
Definitely stop putting off reading Understanding Exposure. It's a very important piece of the puzzle.
I'll quit being lazy and get back to reading it. I actually picked it up last night and read a few pages before my eyes started to blur and it was time for bed.

Oh god I have a flickr account but I've not posted anything since I was in high school to it. It's a bit embarrassing taking a look back on it. Mainly my Macro and B&W photos are any good. Others were just more messing around.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sspc/
For just messing around I thought a lot of them were great!

ddbowdoin

I went ahead and started an account on photobucket. (under ziptitdoda). I was having a small problem with flickr. I don't have a lot yet but it will be fun to see my progress.
The only way to get better is to do it, every single day.

Also, investing in even a low end printer helps. You can make cheap, small prints and let work sit with you.

Zipadeelady

Original Poster
@Zipitidoda I think you have a (non-Disney) trip coming up.

I expect you to take hundreds of terrible shots, and dozens of good ones and a handful of great shots.

Have fun! :D
That's my plan too!!!! I can't wait!! Maybe I'll see a bear!

I don't get out as much as I'd like too, kids seem to suck up a lot of time, but I find it very rewarding.

Zipadeelady

Original Poster
The only way to get better is to do it, every single day.

Also, investing in even a low end printer helps. You can make cheap, small prints and let work sit with you.
Thanks for the input. I'd love to go out every day but find it hard to get the time. I do enjoy it and look forward to going out every chance I get.

thomas998

Thanks for the input. I'd love to go out every day but find it hard to get the time. I do enjoy it and look forward to going out every chance I get.

If you want to really understand your camera you need to pick a scene to shoot and then shoot it using different settings. The beauty of a digital camera is that all the settings, the aperture and shutter speed are captured and easy to see after you take the shot, unlike film where you needed to keep a record to look at later.... So find a scene and shoot it on P so your camera picks everything... then shoot it using A and shoot a range of shots with different apertures letting the camera set the speed, then do the same with S using different speeds.... Then go look at what you've got and afterwards on your computer and make not of the relationship between aperture and speed... look at the bokeh of the shots if your using a fast enough lens you should see some blurring... but you'll progress much faster if you focus on a particular scene and shoot it from all possible ways rather than going out and using fast shutter her slow shutter there on random scenes where you'll not be able to see the full impact of what your setting are doing... the real beauty of a digital camera is you get cheap instant feedback vs the old days when you had film that was pricey and took time to see the results.

Zipadeelady

Original Poster
If you want to really understand your camera you need to pick a scene to shoot and then shoot it using different settings. The beauty of a digital camera is that all the settings, the aperture and shutter speed are captured and easy to see after you take the shot, unlike film where you needed to keep a record to look at later.... So find a scene and shoot it on P so your camera picks everything... then shoot it using A and shoot a range of shots with different apertures letting the camera set the speed, then do the same with S using different speeds.... Then go look at what you've got and afterwards on your computer and make not of the relationship between aperture and speed... look at the bokeh of the shots if your using a fast enough lens you should see some blurring... but you'll progress much faster if you focus on a particular scene and shoot it from all possible ways rather than going out and using fast shutter her slow shutter there on random scenes where you'll not be able to see the full impact of what your setting are doing... the real beauty of a digital camera is you get cheap instant feedback vs the old days when you had film that was pricey and took time to see the results.
Thanks so much for the input. I'll admit i'm guilty of not doing this. I'll find something to shoot, take a few shots and move on most of the time. I'll take your advise and do this more often.

Zipadeelady

Original Poster
Just because.
DSC01571.JPG
DSC01581.JPG
DSC01542.JPG

It's been a very busy few weeks. Lots of end of the school year programs and gatherings. Lots of overtime from work and now time for a vacation to the Smoky Mountains. Was hoping to get lots of pictures while in Tennessee but the forecast is rain all week :( so you may see lots of indoor and family pictures.

fractal

Just because.
View attachment 209599 View attachment 209605 View attachment 209606

It's been a very busy few weeks. Lots of end of the school year programs and gatherings. Lots of overtime from work and now time for a vacation to the Smoky Mountains. Was hoping to get lots of pictures while in Tennessee but the forecast is rain all week :( so you may see lots of indoor and family pictures.

Nice @Zipitidoda !

Don't get discouraged by rain - it can make for some great photos!

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/photography/photo-tips/taking-photos-in-rain-richardson/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom