~Walt's Last ride~

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Are you aware that you responded to a four year old discussion? New Tomorrowland was also well under construction at the end of 1966 and would open in 1967.

LOL no I wasn't....sorry nothing to see here folks....what the ding? I only scan page one....unsure why it appeared there for me...never look at the date just page one....simply SOB....good for a laugh thanks.

Cmdr_Crimson

His last known photo of him during construction of the Disney World Project.
10021813-standard.jpg

Jakester

Haunted Mansion was ready in April 1971, the 1st attraction at Disney World that was ready for the general public, nearly half a year before the park opened.

FettFan

Walt planned the majority of the MK, and of cousre had Epcot in mind as well.

The last ride he actually had anything to do with was Pirates of the Carr. He died before it was finished.

It was Disneyland's Haunted Mansion actually. In fact, in Rolly Crump's book "It's Kind of a Cute Story", Walt was intrigued by the idea of the Museum of the Weird being added to the end of the ride, and had Crump and co working on different sketches and models for it. After he died Dick Irvine scrapped the idea altogether.

As for Walt Disney World...no. Dead wrong.
Pirates of the Caribbean was an afterthought. That space was originally going to be one part of Marc Davis' Western River Expedition.
They added it because so many people showed up in Florida wanting to know where the Pirates were.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Pirates of the Caribbean was an afterthought. That space was originally going to be one part of Marc Davis' Western River Expedition.
They added it because so many people showed up in Florida wanting to know where the Pirates were.

Yep thats true, I have read that in several books and too bad we got the shortcut version but better than none at all! :)

lazyboy97o

It was Disneyland's Haunted Mansion actually. In fact, in Rolly Crump's book "It's Kind of a Cute Story", Walt was intrigued by the idea of the Museum of the Weird being added to the end of the ride, and had Crump and co working on different sketches and models for it. After he died Dick Irvine scrapped the idea altogether.

The space intended for Thunder Mesa was not occupied by Pirates of the Caribbean. That space is now Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (which started as a part of that project) and Splash Mountain.

Goofyernmost

His last known photo of him during construction of the Disney World Project.
10021813-standard.jpg
I guess that would be dependent on what one describes as construction. At that point, which by the looks of Walt, it was not to far ahead of his death, did walk some of the grounds to decide where he wanted the park to be in relation to EPCOT. However, no construction has started at that time that I am aware of, just planning.

eddieh

From what I have read his last ride he worked on was POC. As he left his final day while planning POC he told Marc Davis "Goodbye Mark." and tiredly left. Marc said he knew he would never see him again as Disney usually said "So long Marc."

Also, he must have had some plans for WDW as it was he who purchased the land for it. I doubt he was just buying land without a strong blueprint in mind of what he wanted.

The other thing Walt did before saying goodbye was to point to a picture on Marc Davis' wall of a bear with a tuba that was being developed for Disney's Mineral Springs Ski Resort. This picture actually made him laugh and he mentioned something to the liking of "you've got something here". This ultimately became Country Bear Jamboree at Walt Disney World.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom