News Walter E. Disney overhaul

DisAl

Count me in too. The train/monorail shed is on my bucket list and probably (for me anyway) the number one attraction at Disney World. Unfortunately, I have never had a chance to go in there.
If you like the trains I highly recommend the "Magic Behind Our Steam Trains" tour. Part of the tour is a stop at the train shed (it is not really a roundhouse) where they are getting the trains ready for the day. FYI there are several videos that people have made on the tour posted on YouTube.

EricsBiscuit

This is a bit of WDW history I knew nothing about. This post has got my interedt up going to have to search for more info on this --Thanks
They were restored at the Port of Tampa under the supervision of Roger E Broggie who was the guy at the studio that machines Walt's personal miniature steam locomotive, the Lilly Belle. The rolling stock was also made at the Port of stamps. On the way from Mexico, they had the locomotives guarded by men with shotguns. They also had to be creative because of an embargo getting it to Tampa from Mexico.

montyz81

If you like the trains I highly recommend the "Magic Behind Our Steam Trains" tour. Part of the tour is a stop at the train shed (it is not really a roundhouse) where they are getting the trains ready for the day. FYI there are several videos that people have made on the tour posted on YouTube.
I try everytime we go. The family isn't always interested. I'll get there one of these days. BTW, if any of you are really interested in a great read.. I picked this book up at the Walt Disney Family Museum a few years ago:

https://www.biblio.com/book/walt-di...MI0viu6frD2gIVRcDICh38jQkoEAQYASABEgI18PD_BwE
It doesn't leave anything out. It talks about the Trains, Monorails, Viewliner and even the trains in Paris and WDW and Monorails in WDW, and FW Train too.

KYWDW

I try everytime we go. The family isn't always interested. I'll get there one of these days. BTW, if any of you are really interested in a great read.. I picked this book up at the Walt Disney Family Museum a few years ago:

https://www.biblio.com/book/walt-di...MI0viu6frD2gIVRcDICh38jQkoEAQYASABEgI18PD_BwE
It doesn't leave anything out. It talks about the Trains, Monorails, Viewliner and even the trains in Paris and WDW and Monorails in WDW, and FW Train too.
You read my mind. Rogers son travels the US with the Great Train show doing presentations and selling the book. It's very fascinating.

mhochman

I'm new to WDW Train interest and typically don't think much about it, but I love when old things are restored. I'm confused at the photo in the OP. Since the train is running in Florida, are we looking at an original part that was not used in the restoration? Or am I missing something? Thanks.

DisAl

I'm new to WDW Train interest and typically don't think much about it, but I love when old things are restored. I'm confused at the photo in the OP. Since the train is running in Florida, are we looking at an original part that was not used in the restoration? Or am I missing something? Thanks.
There are 4 trains. Walter E. Disney is not in Florida. As mentioned above it is being overhauled in Strasburg PA. There are three others currently in service at WDW; the Lillian Disney (locomotive 2), the Roger E. Broggie (locomotive 3) and the Roy O. Disney (locomotive 4).
Whether the boiler in the photo is going back into Walter or not would have to be answered by somebody more in the know than me....

mhochman

There are 4 trains. Walter E. Disney is not in Florida. As mentioned above it is being overhauled in Strasburg PA. There are three others currently in service at WDW; the Lillian Disney (locomotive 2), the Roger E. Broggie (locomotive 3) and the Roy O. Disney (locomotive 4).
Whether the boiler in the photo is going back into Walter or not would have to be answered by somebody more in the know than me....

Ah, got it. Thank you for providing the context. I knew they were down to three in the park, but didn't realize the fourth was off-site for its repair.

habuma

For those who are interested, here is a current photo of the Walter E. Disney at the Strasburg Railroad. You are looking at the boiler, firebox, and the steam dome closest to the cab, which is also the one that the whistle is attached to, on a flatbed trailer.

View attachment 278344

Other than this, I’m not really sure what the status is, in terms of progress. Hopefully everything is going well and is on schedule.

I'm not familiar with the construction of these engines, but...is the reason that the picture above looks so rough because there is a shinier red skin that goes over this when it is in service? Or did they actually strip the paint down to bare metal?

KYWDW

I'm not familiar with the construction of these engines, but...is the reason that the picture above looks so rough because there is a shinier red skin that goes over this when it is in service? Or did they actually strip the paint down to bare metal?
Usually this part of the engine is like your motor in your car. Is hidden within but has a protective coating. Usually during these rebuilds they strip it down to look for defects/imperfections. So yes there is a exterior that will cover this up for the most part.

habuma

Count me as another WDWRR and DLRR fan. I've loved trains from when I was very young and lived near-ish to the railroad tracks that ran through our town. I was always interested in model trains, but never have had the time or resources to get into them (although I had a very unexciting HO gauge set as a child that my dad set up to run in the more boring oval shape as possible on a green-felt covered piece of plywood). My love of trains merged with my love of Disney a few decades later and now although I don't know much about the internals of these machines, I'm quite familiar with their history, Walt's love of trains, and I can't help but stare at them whenever I'm in the parks.

So yes, count me in as a WDWRR fan.

Haha yes. I think that he and I are the only ones on the forums who are "WDWRR railfans".

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
To me it seems like the photo posted is the old boiler. They might build an entirely new boiler, or they could be refurbishing this one. My guess is that since this photo was taken outside they're building a new one which would explain how long it's taking.
I'm under the impression that the Walter is getting a new boiler, though they could also refurbish the current one like you said. If they're installing a new boiler, I'm assuming that Strasburg will build it seeing how Dixon is out of business? Either way, if they're refurbishing the current boiler, it's not finished, seeing how there aren't any rivets on it yet.

Did the Lilly Belle get a new boiler or did they refurbished the one that she had?

trainplane3

If anyone was wondering, before Disney began sending the locomotives to Strasburg, Tweetsie Railroad did all the major work on the locomotives.
Do you know the reason for the change? Just Google Maps'ing it, Strasburg seems to have larger facilities for this kind of thing.

That and the train does take you to Paradise which is also pretty close to Intercourse. Actually, I'm sure those were the real reasons :D

SteamboatJoe

I also recommend the Dana Amendola book from 2015.

https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/all-aboard-dana-amendola/1121014113

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
Do you know the reason for the change? Just Google Maps'ing it, Strasburg seems to have larger facilities for this kind of thing.

That and the train does take you to Paradise which is also pretty close to Intercourse. Actually, I'm sure those were the real reasons :D
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: But nah. I think that Strasburg made them a better deal, in terms of cost, than Tweetsie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom