deleted

wiredforflight

They inside looks in great shape. Disney likely removed everything to dissuade souvenir hunters. Interesting to know if those were archived or not.

This is a real object of central Florida history so hopefully Disney does something responsible with it.
I agree there is a good bit of history here. If Disney does not want to do anything with it, or not sure in the short run, there is a good aviation museum not far from there in Lakeland. Would be cool for them to get it.

wiredforflight

What bothers me about this is why is the door just open for the elements to get in and rust the place out? As well as of course letting intruders just freely climb in to vandalise it.

Likely it was unlocked and he just opened it. Then walked away and then came back to it as if it was open. If you know how to open an airplane door like that they are easy.

With the state of the interior I would be shocked if they locked it truthfully. If it was locked people might break into it vs just open it up.

note2001

I'm about doing things the right way, this video is anything but.
Given that it is out there, I hope those who are watching this trespasser's videos are doing so with adblock on and don't comment on the video. No need to support scum.

Personally, I've chosen not to watch any of this questionable stuff.

trainplane3

What bothers me about this is why is the door just open for the elements to get in and rust the place out? As well as of course letting intruders just freely climb in to vandalise it.
It was closed. It's a regular plane door, there isn't much effort to open one. He probably didn't show himself opening it because it would further incriminate him. This is if something does happen, he can say "well you saw it was already open in my video".

Even though there was nothing inside it, there would be no point at all to leave it open to the elements or for animals to make their home in it.

halltd

I thought @wdwmagic had a policy about posting photos and/or videos that were obtained without authorization? What happened to that? I really wish people would stop giving that Sonswa kid publicity. It's just encouraging others to go out and do the same thing. If more and more people keep doing this, I have a feeling true fans are going to be impacted in same way.

GordonR

Ok, so as someone who gets involved in restoring aircraft here is my take :

Exterior has been really cleaned up and from the light reflections, the paint system looks in good condition. Hard to see details of areas for any corrosion setting in. Aluminium corrosion is like a bad cancer if left unchecked. Could the polished up exterior mean it’s about to be relocated?

Interior, firstly really good to see all furnishings and insulation that can hold moisture removed, plus panels up to let air circulate. This really does cut down corrosion. However corrosion does seem to be starting and like the exterior needs a bit of work and treatment.

What’s really needed is WDW to engage with a team of aircraft enthusiasts from one of the many museums around the state to put a preservation plan in place, or even discuss the aircraft going to a museum to be looked after, rather than back stage or on display in a theme park.

trainplane3

Ok, so as someone who gets involved in restoring aircraft here is my take :

Exterior has been really cleaned up and from the light reflections, the paint system looks in good condition. Hard to see details of areas for any corrosion setting in. Aluminium corrosion is like a bad cancer if left unchecked. Could the polished up exterior mean it’s about to be relocated?

Interior, firstly really good to see all furnishings and insulation that can hold moisture removed, plus panels up to let air circulate. This really does cut down corrosion. However corrosion does seem to be starting and like the exterior needs a bit of work and treatment.

What’s really needed is WDW to engage with a team of aircraft enthusiasts from one of the many museums around the state to put a preservation plan in place, or even discuss the aircraft going to a museum to be looked after, rather than back stage or on display in a theme park.
The thought is it may be moved back to some place that the public on property can view it. WDW works with Strasburg (well known to overhaul/rebuild trains with a large volunteer base) to restore its trains but it's to keep them running and looking good. I feel they only care that it doesn't fall apart and only looks good enough to the general public. It's a bummer that it's still sitting in the same place with new paint and no one can actually see it.

Also the plane was spotted in January of last year with it's new paint scheme. So it's been a while since they've done anything with it. Someone doing a flyby in a helicopter spotted it and wouldn't disclose the location so myself and others figured it out from the few, zoomed in pictures of where it was located at:
So here's this picture from the article:
disney-plane-andrew-barton-good-2.jpg

Now on Google Maps, I found this:
View attachment 258496
Look at the trees, powerlines running across it, and the gravel "road".
Now in 2D view with the latest images:
View attachment 258497
Turns more brown, gravel "road" is still there.
And lastly, the exact location:
kKPHwOE.jpg

Maybe someone else can confirm this?

Also, I suppose this would be considered "backstage". So please don't be an idiot and go running around back there. We know the plane is there, it's "safe", it could return eventually. That's all.

Fpsphil

It shows on apple maps satellite now
The thought is it may be moved back to some place that the public on property can view it. WDW works with Strasburg (well known to overhaul/rebuild trains with a large volunteer base) to restore its trains but it's to keep them running and looking good. I feel they only care that it doesn't fall apart and only looks good enough to the general public. It's a bummer that it's still sitting in the same place with new paint and no one can actually see it.

Also the plane was spotted in January of last year with it's new paint scheme. So it's been a while since they've done anything with it. Someone doing a flyby in a helicopter spotted it and wouldn't disclose the location so myself and others figured it out from the few, zoomed in pictures of where it was located at:

Attachments

• 29EB5693-8D70-4378-82AC-83EBD97F8E30.png
    29EB5693-8D70-4378-82AC-83EBD97F8E30.png
    464.6 KB · Views: 241

montyz81

Does anyone know of updated plans for the plane? Also, has anyone ever verified that the previous paint job was actually a wrap? I can't see why they would paint it in its original livery only to have it sit backstage to rot away.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom