News Walt Disney World's COVID-19 reopening plans announced - July 11

Hcalvert

It is what you get out of it.

I was there last week, and arrived at both Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios a 15-30 minutes before they opened, and left as they closed. Spent the full day at both parks, and had a great time. Epcot was a different story (arrived at opening, left about 6pm).

Did I enjoy it and find it "worth" the price: Yes.
Will I go back? Yes, already scheduled another trip in August.

Admittedly, I'll agree with your points about being able to do "everything" means that I don't need as much time at WDW, and I do question the value of staying on property at the moment. Dinner outside the parks I'm not sure is a huge issue (as a guest), since I get a much wider selection of food options and prices albeit at the cost of having to have transportation to get there; of course the restaurants at Disney Springs are still available.

Since returning, and friends hearing about my experiences, I've already had two friends make plans to go down; one family is there now and one heads down this weekend.

My family enjoyed our trip. We had booked 5 nights at Jambo and 9 nights at Poly (a combination of trips cancelled in March and June). We are not into character meet & greets and parades, so that was not a big deal to us. We enjoyed the lower crowds. Most people were respectful and I would say an overwhelming majority followed the rules. The only time I felt uncomfortable was at Disney Springs where I saw that the safety percautions were not followed as much and there was too much capacity in the stores. Because of my knee issues, I got a DAS to use on attactions with steps and if there was longer than 30 minute waits (which was not many). We were disappointed with the restaruants chosen to stay closed as well as with the menu changes at some of our favorites. I am so glad that we decided to drive so we ended up saving a load of money on food by going to Publix or getting carry out. Transportation was longer so we just drove to the parks.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wonder if they opened park hopping back up if that would increase the amount of people coming. I know that it is a big perk for many people, especially those who enjoy going to get dinner at Epcot. They don't seem to be hitting whatever capacity that they have set, so I can see park hopping as being doable.
1. It would
2. It’s a bad idea to do it.

cmwade77

The temperature screenings may not be a good thing...since asymptomatic transmission has been proven to be a significant issue.

It’s a PR move...and I’m not sure it may not “relax” the focus a bit for those in the parks/resorts.

It’s easy to “stay away” from this guy 👇🏻

View attachment 486935
Actually, the latest studies are finding those that are 100% asymptomatic (even the slightest fever makes a difference) are not generally contagious, there may be some one offs, but it is rare. Again, even the slightest symptom, which you might mistake as say allergies, can make a difference here and that is where it becomes difficult to distinguish, but it does mean the temperature checks aren't completely useless. Additionally, they may help keep out people with other contagious diseases, which would be a good idea as well.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Actually, the latest studies are finding those that are 100% asymptomatic (even the slightest fever makes a difference) are not generally contagious, there may be some one offs, but it is rare. Again, even the slightest symptom, which you might mistake as say allergies, can make a difference here and that is where it becomes difficult to distinguish, but it does mean the temperature checks aren't completely useless. Additionally, they may help keep out people with other contagious diseases, which would be a good idea as well.
I suppose...though high temperature isn’t a requirement of anything...

rreading

We just got back, and things were really, really well done at GF and the parks (didn't go to Disney Springs). Temp screening and park entry altogether was efficient and seamless. Spacing throughout the parks was great with well demarcated places to stand and plastic dividers when the lines converged. Many times we were reminded to stand still to take a drink even if we did not seem to be close to anyone to be at risk and the CMs were always polite in doing so. Pretty much everyone was wearing their masks and the only nuisance was simply that if you open your coke to take a drink, you would need to stop your family at the same time.

Otherwise, was an amazing trip and I'm SO happy to have visited. Over a long weekend, we were able to do almost everything at MK, DHS and AK; I wish we would have had a fourth day to have visited Epcot

SpectroMagician

I suppose...though high temperature isn’t a requirement of anything...
You are very correct. The WHO said this but were then forced to retract the truthful finding because governments want people scared to reduce people being outside.

Also temperature checks essentially do nothing.

Should just open 100% and if you are at risk, stay home. The rest of us should be able to get on with our lives fully accepting the risk of getting it.

JoeCamel

You are very correct. The WHO said this but were then forced to retract the truthful finding because governments want people scared to reduce people being outside.

Should just open 100% and if you are at risk, stay home. The rest of us should be able to get on with our lives fully accepting the risk of getting it.
Someone shows up with a fever they should not be in the parks covid or not.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Ok...but that wasn’t the open invite to “hoax it up”
It’s real...the precautions are necessary...that “team” lost.
Someone shows up with a fever they should not be in the parks covid or not.
This is true...bonus if you look at it that way.

bartholomr4

We just got back, and things were really, really well done at GF and the parks (didn't go to Disney Springs). Temp screening and park entry altogether was efficient and seamless. Spacing throughout the parks was great with well demarcated places to stand and plastic dividers when the lines converged. Many times we were reminded to stand still to take a drink even if we did not seem to be close to anyone to be at risk and the CMs were always polite in doing so. Pretty much everyone was wearing their masks and the only nuisance was simply that if you open your coke to take a drink, you would need to stop your family at the same time.

Otherwise, was an amazing trip and I'm SO happy to have visited. Over a long weekend, we were able to do almost everything at MK, DHS and AK; I wish we would have had a fourth day to have visited Epcot

We just returned from an 8 day stay at the Riviera. Our experience was the same as yours..... Frankly we felt safer at Disney than we do back at home in NC. The airport was the scariest part of the trip..... You didn't miss anything at Epcot. With Covid or not, the place is just sad. It is hard to justify a trip there as everything is behind a wall, and /or in need of some help.

We stayed at the Riviera, and fell in love with the Skyliner. Its 10 minutes anywhere you want to go (mostly Hollywood Studios, Boardwalk, or Epcot for us). We also think the way they are staging people to arrive at the parks (virtually eliminating a rope drop) should become the new normal. By far the best change in experience is the ability to get off the Skyliner, walk through a temperature check ( the attendants were all very pleasant), walk through the new no touch security, (They did find a woman with guns and weed while we were there so it does work), and then right through the gates with a magic band.

The rides (most of them) opened 30 minutes before the official opening of the park, so we had ridden 3 rides most days before the park even officially opened. That experience is a driver in your ability to ride so much and get the most out of the day. Limiting the number of parties who can get on a bus is also an issue, but also is a natural distance manager, as fewer people arrive wherever you are going at the same time.

We missed being able to park-hop and resort hop for eating and shopping, but all-in-all, it was a great time, and I personally would do it all again tomorrow if I could.

cgersic

We just returned from an 8 day stay at the Riviera. Our experience was the same as yours..... Frankly we felt safer at Disney than we do back at home in NC. The airport was the scariest part of the trip..... You didn't miss anything at Epcot. With Covid or not, the place is just sad. It is hard to justify a trip there as everything is behind a wall, and /or in need of some help.

We stayed at the Riviera, and fell in love with the Skyliner. Its 10 minutes anywhere you want to go (mostly Hollywood Studios, Boardwalk, or Epcot for us). We also think the way they are staging people to arrive at the parks (virtually eliminating a rope drop) should become the new normal. By far the best change in experience is the ability to get off the Skyliner, walk through a temperature check ( the attendants were all very pleasant), walk through the new no touch security, (They did find a woman with guns and weed while we were there so it does work), and then right through the gates with a magic band.

The rides (most of them) opened 30 minutes before the official opening of the park, so we had ridden 3 rides most days before the park even officially opened. That experience is a driver in your ability to ride so much and get the most out of the day. Limiting the number of parties who can get on a bus is also an issue, but also is a natural distance manager, as fewer people arrive wherever you are going at the same time.

We missed being able to park-hop and resort hop for eating and shopping, but all-in-all, it was a great time, and I personally would do it all again tomorrow if I could.
I'm totally with you! I just did 5 days at POP, fell in love with the Skyliner too and would go back tomorrow if I could. Glad you had such a great time!

Di$neyCPA

Any word or rumors on opening additional restaurants at resorts (those that are open/ing)? Seems like a way to generate additional revenue even from locals.

rreading

It won’t generate additional revenue if the tables are empty.

When we were there there were very few restaurants with availablility for reservations, which was too bad since the quick service restaurants only had basic offerings (pizza/burgers/chicken fingers). We would normally have expected this but it caught us off guard.

So if you do plan to go, make dining reservations before attending. It looked like most restaurant capacity was at Epcot, which was useless for us since we weren't at Epcot.

Even at GF, the night we arrived planning to eat at the resort, we only had quick service dining available after 7PM. We checked AKL, Poly, GF, Riviera, and Contemporary. Thursday night, everything was full.

Gringrinngghost

So, I wouldn't hold my breath on what immediate plans to reopen further. If anything I've heard for Universal. Its bad, like REALLY BAD. I feel like this can be a good analogy to it, to surmise the issue. "There’s a hole in the side of the boat. That hole is never going to be fixed and it’s never going away and you can’t get a new boat, this is your boat. What you have to do is bail water out faster than it’s coming in."

So I am sure you might have heard of Universal's new Florida Resident ticket offer, its in the terms of the two-park SeaWorld Fun Card, and for the same price. But for those wondering what it is. For $164, residents can get access to Universal Studios Florida and Islands of Adventure through December 24. For $193, residents can get access to Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure and Volcano Bay. These tickets can be used on non-consecutive days and there are no blockout dates.

Starting August 9th, (The Day before Orange County goes to virtual learning) Universal Orlando Resort has stated these attractions will temporarily close:
  • Kang and Kodos’ Twirl ‘n’ Hurl
  • Poseidon’s Fury
  • Fast & Furious – Supercharged
  • Storm Force Accelatron
  • Fear Factor Live
  • A Day in the Park with Barney

Universal has actively scaled back certain offerings as the demands haven't been there, mainly in the store/quick service locations. They thought that their attendance would go back up with the opening of Disney's Parks as they figured that more would be comfortable with the parks opening. However since the time Universal opened to Disney's opening, the state of Florida saw an increase of 182,663 cases. Since Disney reopened, they saw a further increase of 242,981 cases. That's not been a great catalyst.

Whilst, I can't go into the nitty gritty specifics on it, with the schools starting to reopen and the ones in CFL will be in some capacity whether they are doing distanced or in-person (some districts really want to try this seriously) in the near future. Universal is expecting a big attendance drop hence why they've cut hours with some estimates being nearly half of what they currently are getting, which is already less than a fifth of the overall capacity. With the spectacular attendance numbers going on at Disney, imagine this if you please.
Epcot is lucky to hit 2500 a day and usually is only hosting a few hundred at a time. Magic Kingdom is tormentingly under performing. There is simply no demand to fill the park out even to its limited capacity. The other two parks are also in dire straits, but due to their smaller size, there are certain days they can make a go of it

Think about that, if they are expecting a steep drop of 50% less of the bodies in the park. I fully expect to see reduced hours if not days where the parks are closed to save money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom