News Walt Disney World's COVID-19 reopening plans announced - July 11

coachwnh

We have annual passes (not activated yet) and a stay scheduled from July 20- August 3. Also meeting family there. They had purchased hopper passes for their stay. Its been 6 years since we were there and we are really looking forward to our stay, but Im not paying several grand for a room and not have park access. We had hoped to go the next two summers with our pass before our kids graduate HS and go away to college. Canceling this summer really puts us in a tough spot. This virus sucks.

the_rich

We have annual passes (not activated yet) and a stay scheduled from July 20- August 3. Also meeting family there. They had purchased hopper passes for their stay. Its been 6 years since we were there and we are really looking forward to our stay, but Im not paying several grand for a room and not have park access. We had hoped to go the next two summers with our pass before our kids graduate HS and go away to college. Canceling this summer really puts us in a tough spot. This virus sucks.
This is why I would think they would give preference to resort guests. Why would I spend so much more to stay on site if I have the same chance spending way less elsewhere..

Rescue Ranger

I hope for some changes when I arrive end of August into September. Or should I say hope/plan to arrive. As of now it's 2 weeks DVC split between Polynesian & AKL.

I suppose if Park Hopping and Water Parks are still not happening they'll just refund the difference on my tickets? I can use the refund towards Universal. I have an 8 day pass. I assume getting into at least 1 of the parks SHOULD be a non-issue. To be a resort guest and not get into one of the 4 parks will be a disaster for guest services.

bartholomr4

I hope for some changes when I arrive end of August into September. Or should I say hope/plan to arrive. As of now it's 2 weeks DVC split between Polynesian & AKL.

I suppose if Park Hopping and Water Parks are still not happening they'll just refund the difference on my tickets? I can use the refund towards Universal. I have an 8 day pass. I assume getting into at least 1 of the parks SHOULD be a non-issue. To be a resort guest and not get into one of the 4 parks will be a disaster for guest services.

Suspending Park Hopping is a deal breaker. Everything they have put out to this point has been manageable. But when you combine the reduced hours, more travel between parks on a bus, and now no ability to hop between parks.... I will be asking for a refund.

Stitch826

As someone who is a solo traveler to Disney and who lives out of state, I am certainly in no rush to book my next trip there any time soon. This is not so much due to Covid-19, but more due to the changes Disney has made thus far and continues to announce. (I’ll admit I haven’t read through the 96 pages of posts, so I’m sure I’m repeating some of what others have said here.) Personally I have no interest in character meet and greets. I generally avoid buffets during my solo visits. The deal breaker for me lies mainly in the requirement to wear face masks, even outdoors in the Florida heat and humidity. Add to that the rumor that water rides like Splash Mountain won’t be operating. Add to that the fact that the nighttime fireworks shows won’t be held. Then add to that the fact that being a resort guest won’t guarantee you admission to the parks. And don’t forget the fact that you can’t park hop either. I’m out for the foreseeable future. What really will be interesting will be seeing when Disney eases up on their restrictions and begins increasing capacity. Assuming things are back to relative normalcy by next summer (with some changes like temperature checks entering the parks and removal of self-serve buffets hopefully being permanent), you’d have to think Disney parks will be packed. Combine the 50th anniversary celebration with the countless number of guests who cancelled their 2020 vacation plans and Disney may see record attendance next year.

bartholomr4

As someone who is a solo traveler to Disney and who lives out of state, I am certainly in no rush to book my next trip there any time soon. This is not so much due to Covid-19, but more due to the changes Disney has made thus far and continues to announce. (I’ll admit I haven’t read through the 96 pages of posts, so I’m sure I’m repeating some of what others have said here.) Personally I have no interest in character meet and greets. I generally avoid buffets during my solo visits. The deal breaker for me lies mainly in the requirement to wear face masks, even outdoors in the Florida heat and humidity. Add to that the rumor that water rides like Splash Mountain won’t be operating. Add to that the fact that the nighttime fireworks shows won’t be held. Then add to that the fact that being a resort guest won’t guarantee you admission to the parks. And don’t forget the fact that you can’t park hop either. I’m out for the foreseeable future. What really will be interesting will be seeing when Disney eases up on their restrictions and begins increasing capacity. Assuming things are back to relative normalcy by next summer (with some changes like temperature checks entering the parks and removal of self-serve buffets hopefully being permanent), you’d have to think Disney parks will be packed. Combine the 50th anniversary celebration with the countless number of guests who cancelled their 2020 vacation plans and Disney may see record attendance next year.

The question we have been contemplating is where do the “restrictions” become an over reaction by Disney. The logistics of these decisions appears to be a huge effort (not only for Disney but for the guest). I understand the need to conform to the CDC and Florida guidelines, but a number of the restrictions (I.e. no park hopping) do not appear to have any mitigating or protective impact in protecting Disney, its cast members or the Guests from the Virus. If I stay at the Beach club and walk to Hollywood Studios in the morning, walk back to the hotel for a dip in the pool, and then walk to Epcot for dinner and a ride or two, I don’t see where I have increased or decreased anyone’s exposure to the Virus, than If I stayed in Hollywood Studios all day, or if I came back to the Hotel, and returned back to Hollywood Studios. This particular decision appears to be poorly thought out. Someone should think through the un-intended consequences of these restrictions.

peter11435

The question we have been contemplating is where do the “restrictions” become an over reaction by Disney. The logistics of these decisions appears to be a huge effort (not only for Disney but for the guest). I understand the need to conform to the CDC and Florida guidelines, but a number of the restrictions (I.e. no park hopping) do not appear to have any mitigating or protective impact in protecting Disney, its cast members or the Guests from the Virus. If I stay at the Beach club and walk to Hollywood Studios in the morning, walk back to the hotel for a dip in the pool, and then walk to Epcot for dinner and a ride or two, I don’t see where I have increased or decreased anyone’s exposure to the Virus, than If I stayed in Hollywood Studios all day, or if I came back to the Hotel, and returned back to Hollywood Studios. This particular decision appears to be poorly thought out. Someone should think through the un-intended consequences of these restrictions.
It’s about restricting capacity at this phase. If epcot is going to allow 15,000 slots and Hollywood studios 10,000 they want those slots to go to 25,000 unique individuals.

bartholomr4

It’s about restricting capacity at this phase. If epcot is going to allow 15,000 slots and Hollywood studios 10,000 they want those slots to go to 25,000 unique individuals.
The size of these parks allows for some “flex”. It should be 15,000 slots per hour or 15 minutes, or some regular interval. The reservation system should also allow for the guest to state how long they plan to be in the park. This will allow Disney to sustain the goal all day, but let more than the target number of people to visit the park (I.e. 15,000 slots at Epcot, allocated at a shorter interval, may equate to 18,000 actual guests).

Disney will know how many people are hopping and where they intend to move based on reservations (and the duration of these reservations). The automated queueing system they are introducing should be able to handle the dynamic movement of people across parks. The process should not make the management of people more cumbersome or harder to Serve. Such a strict allocation of the capacity to “unique individuals” is also going to result in less revenue.

And from my perspective (if it turns out to be true) three less visitors, and one large refund.

Clamman73

But that‘s just it though...park hopping puts more people in a monorail, bus, Minnie van, Uber, etc which is what they want to avoid in the near term. Not only does this prevent close proximity in a vehicle, but also the waiting areas.

bartholomr4

But that‘s just it though...park hopping puts more people in a monorail, bus, Minnie van, Uber, etc which is what they want to avoid in the near term. Not only does this prevent close proximity in a vehicle, but also the waiting areas.

I would argue park hopping will spread people out, enable greater social distancing by spreading out their movement over time. The alternative is everyone spending the entire day in one park and wanting to leave at the last minute all at the same time, creating a bottle neck of delivery. People will be on top of each other, waiting for their bus, or boat, or monorail, etc which has also had its capacity reduced.

peter11435

The size of these parks allows for some “flex”. It should be 15,000 slots per hour or 15 minutes, or some regular interval. The reservation system should also allow for the guest to state how long they plan to be in the park. This will allow Disney to sustain the goal all day, but let more than the target number of people to visit the park (I.e. 15,000 slots at Epcot, allocated at a shorter interval, may equate to 18,000 actual guests).

Disney will know how many people are hopping and where they intend to move based on reservations (and the duration of these reservations). The automated queueing system they are introducing should be able to handle the dynamic movement of people across parks. The process should not make the management of people more cumbersome or harder to Serve. Such a strict allocation of the capacity to “unique individuals” is also going to result in less revenue.

And from my perspective (if it turns out to be true) three less visitors, and one large refund.
Repeat after me, THIS IS TEMPORARY

They aren’t going to invest in a complicated dynamic system that will hopefully only be used for a couple of months.

Your proposal is also flawed. If the MK is capped at 15,000 slots, that’s the limit for the day. The total number they are willing to accommodate assuming they will all be there at the same time. Yes, maybe 5,000 of those might plan to leave mid afternoon allowing you to allow in another 5,000 crossing over from another park, but what if they don’t?

This is not about creating a reservation system that will be the future of WDW. This is about creating a system that will get the parks open now and it will disappear when no longer needed.

sbunit

I personally think a lot of these restrictions are a bit over the top and pose no real merit in safety. But I do feel there should be restrictions at this point in time. Again, Disney, as is any other major industry Leader is going to be under the gun in regards to anything they implement or may/may not transpire. Objectively speaking there is a lot of unfair criticism that can fall upon Disney if an outbreak occurs. Disney literally cannot afford that type of negative criticism (which media will have a field day with).

their restrictions are over the top and honestly as a fellow business owner (albeit a much smaller business owner) their business plan leaves a lot to be desired but I can’t fault them on the approach. They have to do everything they can at least initially to deflect any possible blame that can fall on their shoulders (because chances are it won’t be fair).

all these restrictions are not for me and we’ve made the decision to reschedule our trip to May (originally booked for the beginning of December). By then the 2nd wave would have passed (if it even transpires), a vaccine will be available (if you follow the news a vaccine is going to transpire come hell or high water and whether it’s effective or not) and I expect the restrictions to all be lifted by then.

Even if money is no object (which certainly isn’t the case), I can’t personally justify a trip to Disney under these circumstances at least for me and my family. But I can’t blame Disney for placing these restrictions either. I do think they should have been planned and communicated better and I sincerely hope they don’t give into too much of the media’s misaligned hype and lift the restrictions sooner rather than later

peter11435

I would argue park hopping will spread people out, enable greater social distancing by spreading out their movement over time. The alternative is everyone spending the entire day in one park and wanting to leave at the last minute all at the same time, creating a bottle neck of delivery. People will be on top of each other, waiting for their bus, or boat, or monorail, etc which has also had its capacity reduced.
The net result is the same. If a portion of the MK guests are able to park hop to other parks throughout the day they will be replaced by portions of the other three parks capacity crossing over to MK. Ultimately at closing there could and likely still would be the same number of guests. Probably even a greater number as people would have been less likely to leave before closing if they hadn’t already spent the whole day there.

jt04

The net result is the same. If a portion of the MK guests are able to park hop to other parks throughout the day they will be replaced by portions of the other three parks capacity crossing over to MK. Ultimately at closing there could and likely still would be the same number of guests. Probably even a greater number as people would have been less likely to leave before closing if they hadn’t already spent the whole day there.

I'm betting park hopping will go the way of standby lines and fastpasses. The App will disincentive it.

Shorter park hours and more evening separate tickets will also contribute. Wouldn't be surprised if "two seatings" a day becomes the standard. Except for DAK. IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom