News Walt Disney World's COVID-19 reopening plans announced - July 11

KaliSplash

Business-wise, making that decision is a symptom of having a management problem in your company. if to control the capacity you have to reset your entire reservation system because you panic, you simply need new managers for the parks. It requires all QS or TS restaurants by prior reservation with a minimum of 15 days notice.with just that gesture you can previously calculate the total capacity according to the rules of social distancing.It is absurd and illogical to lose millions of dollars for your company when you could win this money them with total security for your guests.
No.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Sorry, but I have to completely disagree. They have been planning a completely new reservation system for over a year. They talked about it at D23 last year, and stated that it would be rolled out later this year. They are adding the capability to do park reservations, and moving up the timeline for release, so that it can be used once the parks are open.

As far as removing all of the TS reservations, well, they had to do that, as in all likelehood, there were already to many reservations to handle if they could only open with 25% or 50% or even 75% capacity. So how do you make it fair for everyone again? You cancel them all, and then at 60 days, people will be allowed to remake their ADRs, and their system will know exactly what the capacity is, so as to not give out too many reservations. If they hadn't removed them, how do you decide who gets to keep their reservation, and who gets bumped? Better to be fair to everyone to start over.
Just the park reservation system alone forced them to cancel any ADRs for a park located restaurant. If I had booked an ADR for BoG but then don’t get a park reservation for MK then I can’t actually use it. In theory they could have tried to leave some non-park ADRs but there’s still a capacity issue and you could also have a lot of resort guests losing in park ADRs with nothing good to replace it with. Imagine staying at Poly, getting your in park reservation cancelled and then finding out that OHana and Kona Cafe are booked solid too. That wouldn’t make for a happy guest. I think this system is the best way to ensure on property guests get every advantage before allowing others to take a shot.

DisneyDebRob

There should be plenty of places they could go. Any hotel with a DVC attached will be open for Disney guests. Outside of that some combination of resorts won’t be open right away. Probably 2 of the 5 values are open. 1 or 1.5 moderates and all of the deluxe except maybe YC with a possibility CR doesn’t open and just the main concourse stays open for BLT. Based on that there’s a number of possible resorts that will be sitting vacant anyway even if NBA takes one (likely CSR). MLS also doesn’t have the security risk the NBA has. The players aren’t at the same level of celebrity as basketball.
As long as these”guests” take care of our home while we are away for awhile.🙂

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The more and more i thought about it over the last few days, it makes total sense. We usually only get the QSDP because we like the convenience, and we only get it when others are with us. If its my wife and I, we just get platters and share, as we usually dont eat alot in the parks. However seeing that price drop off my reservation this morning was nice ha! With 2 teenage food vacuums on this trip, it would of been a nice convenience, but it was just that. Ultimately your paying for food either way, so honestly not having it gives me more flexibility.
Think about the snack credits too. They encourage and almost force you to indulge on Mickey Bars and Dole Whips by giving you 2 snack credits per person per day. I don’t need a lot of convincing anyway :), but it’s setup to allow guests to snack frequently. In the current environment I am assuming some (many) snack carts will be shut down. There will be snacks available but they don’t want lines forming in areas where the pathway is already tight. They also don’t want people spending too much time walking around with a snack and no mask. Based on that giving people 2 snack credits a day would also be potentially problematic.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Just the park reservation system alone forced them to cancel any ADRs for a park located restaurant. If I had booked an ADR for BoG but then don’t get a park reservation for MK then I can’t actually use it. In theory they could have tried to leave some non-park ADRs but there’s still a capacity issue and you could also have a lot of resort guests losing in park ADRs with nothing good to replace it with. Imagine staying at Poly, getting your in park reservation cancelled and then finding out that OHana and Kona Cafe are booked solid too. That wouldn’t make for a happy guest. I think this system is the best way to ensure on property guests get every advantage before allowing others to take a shot.
I agree, as I think they had to cancel even the non-park ADRs, as they do not know what the capacity of that restaurant is right now. I do wonder with their new system will they be able to hold back a few reservations for popular restaurants (like O'Hana or Chef Mickey for instance) for guests staying at that resort. I don't think their current system had this capability, but maybe the new one does.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As long as these”guests” take care of our home while we are away for awhile.🙂
What will be interesting to see is how much of the cash hotels open. For example if they don’t open YC and only open part of BC plus BCV will they open the main pool or leave it partly closed or maybe limited hours. Most DVC resorts have there own pool area so it’s no guarantee the main pools are open or all of the restaurants and shops.

TeriofTerror

Disney cracks me up. We had reservations at San Angel (don't judge; it's what they wanted), Yak and Yeti (ditto), Skipper Canteen, Le Cellier, and 'Ohana. 'Ohana disappeared right away. Y&Y disappeared and then came back. Now Skipper Canteen is gone. The other two haven't budged so far. How much sense does that make?🤣

Leahbobeah

There is little to no possibility that you will be able to change parks on a whim the day of, at least initially. Everyone is going to be booking at 60 days, and I doubt that Disney will hold any day of reservations for the parks. Again, initially. Once they start adding capacity each week like Shanghai has, then it might be a bit easier, but not much.
Are they doing the park reservations at 60 days out or was this just an example?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Disney cracks me up. We had reservations at San Angel (don't judge; it's what they wanted), Yak and Yeti (ditto), Skipper Canteen, Le Cellier, and 'Ohana. 'Ohana disappeared right away. Y&Y disappeared and then came back. Now Skipper Canteen is gone. The other two haven't budged so far. How much sense does that make?🤣
Mine are finally all gone except for 1 at sci-fi that I didn’t really want. All they had available was 8:25pm for the last night I was going to be there. I wanted to try to change it as time got closer anyway. I couldn’t figure out any pattern to how the reservations disappeared. My buffets all went first but that could just be coincidence. In park and out of park we’re staggered together. No real clue how they picked. It’s not a big deal either way but interesting (sad) to watch them go. Probably more sad for me because we are cancelling the whole trip and it’s just a reminder of what would have been :(

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Are they doing the park reservations at 60 days out or was this just an example?
Once it is live, yes, I believe the park reservations will be at 60 days also. So you make your MK reservation, and then that would open up the ability to grab ADRs for BoG, Skipper's Canteen, etc. for just that day.

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Mine are finally all gone except for 1 at sci-fi that I didn’t really want. All they had available was 8:25pm for the last night I was going to be there. I wanted to try to change it as time got closer anyway. I couldn’t figure out any pattern to how the reservations disappeared. My buffets all went first but that could just be coincidence. In park and out of park we’re staggered together. No real clue how they picked. It’s not a big deal either way but interesting (sad) to watch them go. Probably more sad for me because we are cancelling the whole trip and it’s just a reminder of what would have been :(
Same here in that one still shows up - Via Napoli. The only others were all resort restaurants, so we'll have to see what happens with those once the new system is up and running.

TeriofTerror

That would jive with 'Ohana being our first to go.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
They said ADRs at 60 days but you can’t get an ADR at an in park restaurant unless you are reserved at that park that day.
While Disney did not release a firm number of days for the park reservation system, I don't see that going to more than the 60 day ADRs. The way things are going in this country with regards to the phased openings, it is very doubtful that Disney is going to need the in park reservation system for very long. Yes, it might be for 2-6 months, but I just can't see it going much longer - unless of course they make it permanent - which I know we are ALL hoping they don't!

Mainahman

Think about the snack credits too. They encourage and almost force you to indulge on Mickey Bars and Dole Whips by giving you 2 snack credits per person per day. I don’t need a lot of convincing anyway :), but it’s setup to allow guests to snack frequently. In the current environment I am assuming some (many) snack carts will be shut down. There will be snacks available but they don’t want lines forming in areas where the pathway is already tight. They also don’t want people spending too much time walking around with a snack and no mask. Based on that giving people 2 snack credits a day would also be potentially problematic.
So what your saying, is your not supposed to use them all on Dole Whips?? asking for a friend of course.

TeriofTerror

While Disney did not release a firm number of days for the park reservation system, I don't see that going to more than the 60 day ADRs. The way things are going in this country with regards to the phased openings, it is very doubtful that Disney is going to need the in park reservation system for very long. Yes, it might be for 2-6 months, but I just can't see it going much longer - unless of course they make it permanent - which I know we are ALL hoping they don't!
I'll be going mid-September, and I would not be disappointed if it were gone by then. 😉

TTA94

Don’t know if anyone knows this answer but will it be possible for a AP to get a park reservation with a CM who is using their entrance pass? FPs worked fine, as long as CMs are not blocked out, but I’m curious if the new reservation system will let you reserve for anyone in your party’s list regardless of their way of admission?

AugieMorosco

Me too. Everything wiped except Sci-fi and Savi's Workshop. It's hard, but I'm looking at several contingency plans and patiently-ish awaiting my options from Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom