News Walt Disney World's COVID-19 reopening plans announced - July 11

mhaftman7

If people really thought that FP+ and existing reservations could carry on in view of all the changes they really need to have a good think and get a grasp of reality. It was very obvious that as soon as we got into the territory of requiring reservations to enter the park and extremely limited capacity that things were never going to be able to carry on as they were.

Perhaps the only blame with Disney could be that over the years they changed the park experience to reach such a degree of hyper-planning and complexity that it is now difficult and jarring to return to a simpler model.

As far as the dining goes, I really thought the modification would’ve started with “x” number of expected resort reservations being cancelled/rescheduled, followed by dining reservation cancellations/modifications impacted by operating hours, followed by dining reservations cancelled/modified with “incentive” i.e. small denomination gift cards per cancellation/modification. If that wasn’t enough STILL, then you’d have to make tough decisions.

As far as FP+ goes, how far out would they currently be? I mean depending on arrival and length of stay, early-to-mid August? I understand clearing the deck and modifying the FP+ system, but to lose it all together? Wow. I’m not saying I know the inner working of how that system works, but if Park capacity is reduced by 60% (or whatever the number is), couldn’t you make that reduction on the FP+ side as well?

I just hope a lot of this is relaxed by June, cuz I think that’s when we are rescheduling for. Too much has been taken away for us to risk the value for now. I hope everyone that is going has a MAGICAL time and it exceeds all expectations!

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Not surprising that they decided to cancel all the ADRs and Fastpasses, not sure how they could have avoided those decisions.

I'm disappointed that our Chef's table at V&A was cancelled, but I'm not going to freak out about any of the changes. This situation is unprecedented and if some of the decisions end up making the trip not worth it, we will do the logical thing and cancel.

There is still too many unknowns about what this will look like when we are due in August, but the idea of no Fastpass+ is a positive in my view, and the chance of being in the parks with lowered capacity is also a huge plus.

As long as we are able to enjoy some of the restaurants that we had booked, it could be a nice, relaxing trip.
The cancelled them for a few reasons. First, so that they wouldn't have to try to move millions of records to the new reservation system, weeding out those for park restaurants. Second, for those park restaurants, they will no doubt make sure that you get a park reservation before being allowed to make ADRs for that park. Once they roll the new system out, everyone can start making ADRs at the 60 day mark, and I imagine there won't be restrictions on the resort restaurants - just the park restaurants.

With limiting the crowds, there is also little reason to have a FP.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I think it would be safe to say at this point Disney would rather not have any UK visitors. They will not have the capacity in the parks to accommodate all the domestic guests, never mind international visitors.

There is, of course, also some doubt about the US opening the border, UK airlines resuming flights, and the UK allowing non-essential international travel.
Yup, international travel is pretty heavily restricted inbound to the US except for US citizens right now, and that's not likely to change for some time. Everything I'm hearing is they intend to open and act like they are a local amusement destination with very limited capacity and many fo the usual components of the resort unavailable for a while. They will then slowly ramp up to a US destination and slowly open up the resorts.

Having things in place for international guests requires so many governments across the globe to change things that are completely out of Disney's control they aren't likely even focused on that yet.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Yup, international travel is pretty heavily restricted inbound to the US except for US citizens right now, and that's not likely to change for some time. Everything I'm hearing is they intend to open and act like they are a local amusement destination with very limited capacity and many fo the usual components of the resort unavailable for a while. They will then slowly ramp up to a US destination and slowly open up the resorts.

Having things in place for international guests requires so many governments across the globe to change things that are completely our of Disney's control they aren't likely even focused on that yet.
Completely agree. I don't see WDW looking again at international travelers as a priority until at least summer 2021, and that's assuming things go well with COVID mitigation.

mhaftman7

Got word from the person helping us at Mickey Travels, and she said that our dining plan and reservations will be cancelled, but we'll be getting a 35% discount on the resort booking (we booked for May, had to move to August and had the free dining plan incentive at that point, which is now cancelled).

But we'll be getting the opportunity to make other dining reservations 60 days out, and we'll be able to make park reservations. So far, we're still going to go. It's WDW, our favorite place, and it's always been an escape from reality for a while (and we need it more than ever now!)
You are getting the 35% room rate discount on your August trip?!

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
As far as the dining goes, I really thought the modification would’ve started with “x” number of expected resort reservations being cancelled/rescheduled, followed by dining reservation cancellations/modifications impacted by operating hours, followed by dining reservations cancelled/modified with “incentive” i.e. small denomination gift cards per cancellation/modification. If that wasn’t enough STILL, then you’d have to make tough decisions.
I don't think people have any idea how incredibly difficult it would be to code that kind of query. Everyone needs to understand that just because your dining reservation is currently cancelled, doesn't mean you can't make them when their new system comes on-line. So it will be 60 days instead of 180 days. You may be able to everything back, unless you had a lot of park ADRs, and you're not able to get a park reservation for a particular day. There really wasn't anything else they could do.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Not sure what you are seeing, but when I check for late September, and look for even a 5 day stay, the only place at all is SSR, and even that is only for a 1 bedroom. October is extremely full as well.
The farther you get away from August the busier it gets, but all that I've seen in September and October, compared to previous years is that you have availability, where previously there wasn't any AT all. It is conceivable that if you are flexible with your resort preference you can score a 4 night stay, which was unheard of previously at this point in time.

BlackCauldron

Same here. We have a package starting July 10th. I was not sure how that might be handled. Would they cancel our entire trip or just force us to arrive one day later. Everything is still showing on MDE. Is the fact that I have not received an email a bad sign?

My package is in early September. I've also received no email, and all of my dining reservations are still present. I no longer have the ability to modify them, but I can cancel them. My 60 day window doesn't open until July 10, so perhaps they are wiping these out in waves, based on arrival date?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The farther you get away from August the busier it gets, but all that I've seen in September and October, compared to previous years is that you have availability, where previously there wasn't any AT all. It is conceivable that if you are flexible with your resort preference you can score a 4 night stay, which was unheard of previously at this point in time.
Where are you seeing a 4 night stay at any resort in September or October, with the 1 exception of a 1 bedroom at SSR? I wouldn't call that "availability".

Kingoglow

They had to clear out all dining and all Fastpasses. Without knowing all of the details, I bet it will be difficult to assure guests their existing dining and FP reservation with the new ticket/park reservation system.

If guests had MK Fastpasses left in the system, but couldn't get a ticket for MK that day, they would be livid. It is best to disappoint everyone right now so they can get over it and know to expect nothing.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Where are you seeing a 4 night stay at any resort in September or October, with the 1 exception of a 1 bedroom at SSR? I wouldn't call that "availability".
I see at least 3 to 4 nights of available for 1 bedrooms at AKL/KV, Copper Creek, Boulder Ridge, BW, OKW, BLK, and of course SSR.

Zeromancer

Those with tickets and reservations are supposed to get first crack are rescheduling. WDW doesn't know if in October their restaurants will still be at 50% capacity. They have too many rezzies now and it's likely a lot of people who had rezzies will have decided not to go. Better to start with a clean slate with those who are still willing or able to go.
But why cancel the dining plans ? I see no reason.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They had to clear out all dining and all Fastpasses. Without knowing all of the details, I bet it will be difficult to assure guests their existing dining and FP reservation with the new ticket/park reservation system.

If guests had MK Fastpasses left in the system, but couldn't get a ticket for MK that day, they would be livid. It is best to disappoint everyone right now so they can get over it and know to expect nothing.
That’s the exact reason. They don’t want someone with an ADR for Be Our Guest crying at the front gate because they dont have a reservation to MK. I assume the new system will not let you book an ADR or FP for a park unless you have a reservation to the park first. The only issue I see is people hopping to EPCOT for dinner. Unless they let you book 2 parks in a day. I thought I read somewhere that if they allow you to hop it may be that you have to wait until the day of and if there’s availability then you can switch parks. That would make ADRs at a second park impossible. Not a big deal considering everything else that’s changing but could still impact some people. On a bright note walking into restaurants at EPCOT May get a lot easier.

Ralf

There it is, the e-mail from Disneyworld UK (the WDW Travelagency for European Visitors). Not as specific as the one the US clients received I guess...
Schermafbeelding 2020-05-29 om 16.26.54.png

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I think some may not realize what social distancing is really going to look like in the parks.

Disney Springs reopened World of Disney this week, and with a relatively small crowd that gathered for the opening, it took an hour of waiting to enter a virtual queue, followed by a 4 or 5 hour wait to actually get inside.

Now imagine how the parks are going to look based on that.

Disney is going to be reopened in a very conservative and measured way.

Things like dining reservations, FP and all the things we've been conditioned to do over the years are just not going to be a big part of the picture for a while.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Folks just really need to totally and completely let go of everything you've ever known and every habit you've ever developed about a visit to Walt Disney World. Everything is going to be different and much will not likely ever return back to the way it was. Wait until all of this is sorted out, and Disney has announced all of the details of how everything will work. Then you can decide if you are comfortable with the new rules and constraints and determine if you want to visit.

Relentlessly trying to compare what's coming to the way you visited in the past is a fool's errand and will do absolutely nothing at all to change what they're going to do. Incessantly churning this over and over will do nothing but give you heartburn- it will not change anything. Take a breath and wait until all the details are out there and documented and then come back to plan your next visit under the new guidelines.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom