News Walt Disney World to resume sales of Annual Passes (New sales resume April 20, 2023)

flynnibus

Premium Member
I would think the opposite. Out of state pays the most by far per year, comes less, has a higher likelihood of staying on-site (assuming more Florida residents can do day trips or may have friends/family close by to stay with), and would seem to be suckers for upcharge events and upgrades comparatively because they can’t just come on a whim from so far away. Plus lots of out of staters participate in cash cows like runDisney races which both earn money and keep the racers out of the parks a large part of the day because of how early they have to get up to participate in the runs.

That really makes the case for NOT giving them such steep discounts if they are suckers who will come anyways :)

The real magic is in the data we don't have... the demographics of how much AP holders really use their passes.

Disney is on the right path for managing this I think.. which is instead of trying to control who buys what, simply control when that pass can be used.. to make sure the right discount class is used for the right purpose the company wants.

Need cheap bodies to fill the lower crowd periods... cheap passes = OK
Want to limit discounted admissions during popular times... only allow premium passes...

Disney has that control now with the blackouts and reservation system.

Then buyer patterns will follow what the buyer really wants to ensure they have access to.

CntrlFlPete

Now, for APs: If the parks are sold out, what good does it do anyone to buy an AP when they can't use it because the parks are SOLD OUT? Why would WDW sell an AP to someone and then listen to them complain and demand their money back because they can't use their AP because the parks are SOLD OUT?

yet haven't they already sold passes which folks can't use?

The only pass good those last few weeks in DEC is the top tier one that has no block-out dates, folks pay some $400 above the next closest tier to not have any dates that excluded them from the park-- I guess these folks should reserve their dates in OCT and then not visit in NOV (for they only get to hold around 5 days at a time) just so they can use their pass around the holidays (in which they paid extra to have the option).

Personally, I am sure Disney loves the AP program as many over buy/ do not use the pass as often as they could and they count on that -- but needing a reservation exposes that they do over sell the parks because of non-date specific tickets such as an AP.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would think the opposite. Out of state pays the most by far per year, comes less, has a higher likelihood of staying on-site (assuming more Florida residents can do day trips or may have friends/family close by to stay with), and would seem to be suckers for upcharge events and upgrades comparatively because they can’t just come on a whim from so far away. Plus lots of out of staters participate in cash cows like runDisney races which both earn money and keep the racers out of the parks a large part of the day because of how early they have to get up to participate in the runs.
It seems (Pengy is gonna hate this…because it’s cognitive reasoning and not what a nitwit in a name tag is told to say…) that we can loosely “prioritize” the AP groups:

1. Weekday potential - cheap pass but using up labor on dead days
2. AP/DVC from out of state/country - bigger money and guaranteed onsite. This is who they need to tiptoe with
3. Out of state “traditional” APs…more revenue but want to use weekends/holidays more that not.
4. Old school Florida APs (DVC or not)…only want to plug weekends and lush on food and wine. Not useful in the new order

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That really makes the case for NOT giving them such steep discounts if they are suckers who will come anyways :)

The real magic is in the data we don't have... the demographics of how much AP holders really use their passes.

Disney is on the right path for managing this I think.. which is instead of trying to control who buys what, simply control when that pass can be used.. to make sure the right discount class is used for the right purpose the company wants.

Need cheap bodies to fill the lower crowd periods... cheap passes = OK
Want to limit discounted admissions during popular times... only allow premium passes...

Disney has that control now with the blackouts and reservation system.

Then buyer patterns will follow what the buyer really wants to ensure they have access to.
I think the politburo may be just cutting to the chase and testing if the higher spending (a lot of DVC and more) will “crack” and just decide regular tickets are the “new norm”?

that would be the ultimate in customer failures if it happens.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For the record, its been established that the main/almost only reason AP sales were stopped was because Disney is done issuing park tickets/reservations for select peak days and they haven't for AP's, so they don't want a bunch of day guests buying AP's because its their only option.
So by that logic…AP sales would resume on 1/2?

let’s see how it plays…

uptake of annual passes at the ticket booths would be both a success and a failure for Disney…if you look at it objectively

Vegas Disney Fan

My answer would be to no longer offer out of state APs unless you own DVC. It's obvious they aren't big fans of AP holders.
I’d think we’d be one of the most profitable AP groups because we need hotels and stay on property. When we had our Premiere passes we had to take 2 trips a year to WDW to justify the cost but we’d usually go 3, vs our normal once a year, that meant an extra 5-10 rooms reservations for Disney plus a couple extra weeks of us buying all our food and drinks on property.

That has to be more profitable than the locals who come over after work for a few rides and then grab dinner at a drive through on the way home.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I wonder if eventually all APs will be blocked on Thanksgiving and Christmas weeks. Just tickets for those 2 weeks. Maybe throw in a ticket discount to DVC members for those weeks.

Someone seems to have decreed - No more DVC AP discounts. If that sticks around, there will be more and more displeased DVC owners who are willing to speak up and speak out. Good luck getting that genie back in the bottle without ponying up some good discounts and some serious tail-between-the-legs retreating.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Someone seems to have decreed - No more DVC AP discounts. If that sticks around, there will be more and more displeased DVC owners who are willing to speak up and speak out. Good luck getting that genie back in the bottle without ponying up some good discounts and some serious tail-between-the-legs retreating.
That would probably lead back to the same person not to give significant discounts to wholesalers on room rates as well…several years back. They’d have large chunks of unoccupied rooms right now if covid/low occ hadn’t provided a screen

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Which has nothing to do with stopping AP sales - because you already have a separate control for that. So... BZZZT.. spin again.

Exactly…if you have to reserve anyway…and there’s a separate annual pass basket…it’s not about staffing.

The AP bucket still adds to the (over) crowding.

Monday Dec 6 has MK sold out to day-tickets... and every level of Annual Pass.

So, if you bought either the highest tier AP thinking, "I can go whenever I want," or if you bough the lowest tier thinking, "at least I can get into the park on a weekday that's not a holiday week"... wrong. You can't into the MK, it is SOLD OUT.

So, @flynnibus, what is this special control on APs that fixes this for the MK on Monday, Dec 6 that doesn't involve angry AP holders yelling at Customer Service demanding their money back?

flynnibus

Premium Member
So, if you bought either the highest tier AP thinking, "I can go whenever I want," or if you bough the lowest tier thinking, "at least I can get into the park on a weekday that's not a holiday week"... wrong. You can't into the MK, it is SOLD OUT.

So, @flynnibus, what is this special control on APs that fixes this for the MK on Monday, Dec 6 that doesn't involve angry AP holders yelling at Customer Service demanding their money back?

The same exact controls that existing in the week's prior - The information that says PARK RESERVATIONS REQUIRED.

Chip Chipperson

I think the only thing they can do in lieu of pausing the sale of APs it make it crystal clear to people when they purchase their pass that park reservations are required and that they can and do sometimes sell out. Passes are good for a full year but nobody is guaranteed to get into a specific park on a specific day. If someone buys an AP in November and is mad that they can't get in on a specific day in December, then they haven't paid much attention and need to realize that there are still plenty of days left in their 1-year window that ARE available.

Also, what's so special about December 6??? Is there a cheer competition that week or something? I would have thought a random Monday in early December would be a low-demand day.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

We have zero legitimate idea what their current “cap” numbers are and just how the staff issues are comparable to them? I’d love to know…but no one here can provide them. Prove me wrong if you can.
Yes.

And they don't want that to get worse.
Here I do agree…that is part of the decision for sure…the question is whether that’s it? Maybe…maybe not?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom