News Walt Disney World to resume sales of Annual Passes (New sales resume April 20, 2023)

celluloid

Before the system became overly complicated they had phased closures during the holidays. The phased closures for certain times of the year were routine and easy to see coming. No reasonable person was really upset when phased closures occurred because based on decades of history it was understood and baked into the cake when purchasing an AP. Lastly, the failure to expand park capacity has been a problem for Disney for over a decade. Instead of expanding capacity through new parks, attractions, and adding to the massive space they have owned for decades in Reedy Creek; Disney elected to construct a multi-billion dollar digital crowd/profit management system that serves them rather than the consumer.

This is the summary of summaries. The company has switched to instantly serve themselves rather than serve the customer which serves themselves well. They are not going to patiently wait if they can feel control before and the pandemic cost cutting only accelerated it.

Jrb1979

I just learned about WDW stopping sale of the APs yesterday!

While it was understandable over in DLR as there is a lot of locals that purchased the very expensive top tier new AP with no blackouts, and actually expected to be able to use it with the totally awful park pass reservation requirement in place, I knew that was not going to work.

At WDW it’s more of an international vacation destination and there are less locals percentage wise, and even with the totally awful park pass reservation requirement in place, you could still work around it for the most part with the park hop; get into any of the 4 parks then hop to the one you actually wanted to go to.

This shows us TWDC makes changes whenever is needed, “turning on a dime” (hey, that has dual meanings 😀), doing anything it wishes at any moment in time, this time they can blame the pandemic again.

One thing is for sure. When they resume the “New” annual passes again, they will have HUGE (copyright FunSpot America) price increases!!!
Not only that I think there will be changes to the out of state AP. They know people buy them to get discounts on multiple trips. I'm sure they would rather you buy daily tickets versus an AP

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I just learned about WDW stopping sale of the APs yesterday!

While it was understandable over in DLR as there is a lot of locals that purchased the very expensive top tier new AP with no blackouts, and actually expected to be able to use it with the totally awful park pass reservation requirement in place, I knew that was not going to work.

At WDW it’s more of an international vacation destination and there are less locals percentage wise, and even with the totally awful park pass reservation requirement in place, you could still work around it for the most part with the park hop; get into any of the 4 parks then hop to the one you actually wanted to go to.

This shows us TWDC makes changes whenever is needed, “turning on a dime” (hey, that has dual meanings 😀), doing anything it wishes at any moment in time, this time they can blame the pandemic again.

One thing is for sure. When they resume the “New” annual passes again, they will have HUGE (copyright FunSpot America) price increases!!!
Your understanding of the wdw market is very flawed.

it is not full to any significant level with international visitors…nor is it full of locals…

its full of “the rest of America”…and limiting AP sales doesn’t really hurt that except for its longest and most loyal customers.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not only that I think there will be changes to the out of state AP. They know people buy them to get discounts on multiple trips. I'm sure they would rather you buy daily tickets versus an AP
They won’t force the longtime customers to pay by the day. Like DVC…annual passes are a “contract” to the customer…and there are two sides to it.

chapek is a bigger idiot than I thought if he thinks he’ll trick someone who has been going for 20 years to say “meh…I had a premium annual for $489 five years ago…but now I’m down with a $175 day at magic kingdom with no hopper…plus a ride on mine train is only $24!”

…there are always limits…sometimes you can’t see them till you get the pie in the face.

Oddysey

let me explain my frequent stance: morons like me (us) make the situation worse by feeding this beast…it has no limits to its consumption of cash at the expense of its own goodwill/reputation…

I gave up my pixie dust addiction and have been sober since just before Covid in 2020. I still visit this site from time to time like a person who stalks an old lover on Facebook. I check in to see if there is any reason to give my heart back to Disney. However, as is usually the case after a break up, observing their actions only push me further away and reinforce my decision by reminding me why we broke up in the first place.

wutisgood

I have been saying for a while I believe the endgame especially with all the additional partner hotels is that you aren't going to be able to attend the parks at all without staying in one of their owned or approved hotels. They have been adding supply so much over the years they can fill the parks pretty well on these places alone. We don't know how Disney is allocating park reservations between resort guests, pass holders, and day tickets behind the scenes. They are going to use the reservation system to slowly tweak the ratios to favor the people spending the most money on vacation packages. Sales of season passes are going to be limited and reservations blocked as long as they have enough of those people to fill the parks.

The cheap local passes are a necessity they probably hate to fill the parks when hotel capacity is less on some weekdays so they keep those resort guests buying genie + and lightning lane.

Disstevefan1

it is not full to any significant level with international visitors…nor is it full of locals…

its full of “the rest of America”…and limiting AP sales doesn’t really hurt that except for its longest and most loyal customers.
Sorry you focused on “international vacation destination” in my post. I just meant APs is a very small percentage of the visitors to WDW compared to the percentage APs that visit DLR, DLR being more of a local park and WDW gets visitors from many different places.

Disstevefan1

Agreed. This is feeling like another restructuring (and price increase) for the APs on both coasts

JoeCamel

Remember way back when FP+ came out? All the dusters saying "no way the mouse will monetize FP+"?
Wait til they find out they can't buy an AP for any price.
Mouse got a short memory, 9/11 or something will come again

Last edited:

Disney Dead Head

I rarely say that there will be pushback on ANYTHING Disney does.

but I’ve never seen worse management. Ever. They are completely delusional. This looks like it’s for a madman who is trying to dump everything and retire in 2 years…

they are rudderless on so many fronts.
HMMM where do I see the same management style currently.......... "What Inflation" "You're just going to get use to High Prices"

TrainsOfDisney

Sorry you focused on “international vacation destination” in my post. I just meant APs is a very small percentage of the visitors to WDW compared to the percentage APs that visit DLR, DLR being more of a local park and WDW gets visitors from many different places.
Do you know the percentages?

wutisgood

Even the DVC price on passes now makes me think the number of out of towners "saving" with season passes is minimal, much more so with the ap non dvc has to buy. If you have that much time off and money to spend at disney you can probably do better going once a year to disney world and then other places.

We all know how Chapek feels about passholders in any case.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom