News Walt Disney World to resume sales of Annual Passes (New sales resume April 20, 2023)

matt9112

That’s not really true. Have you looked at careers site? They’re hiring for almost every role. And even if they were fully staffed, just because the park can fit 80,000 people in it doesn’t mean they want that many people every day.

Offer more money? You cant sit here and say well x job isn't worth x rate but than kick and scream that you can't get any employees. Pay 30 bucks an hour to work the front lines....parks can operate at capacity next week.

castlecake2.0

I get people are mad, but where does Disney draw the line? There is not limitless capacity or reservations or labor. People would be just as mad having a pass with no days available to book.

matt9112

It's not that easy anymore.

Our hospital is having a heck of a time hiring people for even non-clinical positions. The pay and benefits are excellent, but now the problem is people in the non-clinical positions want to be fully remote. We are hybrid, people don't want it. (we just had a meeting about this yesterday - timely! :D)

It's tough out there for hiring, everywhere.

Employers need to listen to the demands of the work force. Most of the time employees are at the whim of there employer....for the first time in my lifetime its the other way around. Why not let them work remote as much as possible? Or simply keep increasing pay until sitting at a desk is worth it to x person.

castlecake2.0

Did you read the second half of what i posted? Offer more pay and or benefits....thats how it works...when labor pool is small you need to fight harder to retain and acquire talent. So basically yes disney dosen't want to potentially pay and or put effort into getting there parks to operate at capacity.

So....money full stop.
I’ll pass

dreday3

Employers need to listen to the demands of the work force. Most of the time employees are at the whim of there employer....for the first time in my lifetime its the other way around. Why not let them work remote as much as possible? Or simply keep increasing pay until sitting at a desk is worth it to x person.

It's nice to be an idealist, but sometimes you have pepper in some reality.

matt9112

Are you being serious?

Im dead serious.....if you cant hire employees at x rate....the rate and or benefits package isn't enough to attract talent. Its that simple. Now we can argue all day about if that job position is worth that but my fictitious example would inevitably likely solve the problem. People would legit quit dozens of other jobs at dozens of other companies overnight to work at disney.

So your answer is what? Stay understaffed forever? Where are these replacement workers ? Immigration is the only reason we have done as well as we have so far. We dont have a birth rate to sustain what were trying to do. (Speaking nationally here) not disney specific.

matt9112

It's nice to be an idealist, but sometimes you have pepper in some reality.

I mean sure....companies want to operate at x profit margin. So they will just overwork the employees they do have and customer service etc will suffer....i just want to know how you plan to do that....forever. permanent workforce losses are staggering. There not waiting for covid to go away there gone....forever.

Im far from an idealist....if you cant find employees you try harder to find them....thats as realist as it gets.

dreday3

Im dead serious.....if you cant hire employees at x rate....the rate and or benefits package isn't enough to attract talent. Its that simple. Now we can argue all day about if that job position is worth that but my fictitious example would inevitably likely solve the problem. People would legit quit dozens of other jobs at dozens of other companies overnight to work at disney.

So your answer is what? Stay understaffed forever? Where are these replacement workers ? Immigration is the only reason we have done as well as we have so far. We dont have a birth rate to sustain what were trying to do. (Speaking nationally here) not disney specific.

Then let's do it!

But then I don't want to hear any complaints as a consumer when your price of a park burger goes up to $32.50 and your park ticket price increases over 200%.

Or at your office job and your health insurance premiums sky-rocket due to employer not being able to afford to pay for it.

You can't throw out numbers like $30 an hour for part-time work at a theme park and try to have a serious discussion. I don't have all the answers, but I do think it's much more complicated than you are making it out to be. But I also agree they can probably figure out a way to add more benefits for their workers. Think out of the box. (and by the way, I would LOVE to be fully remote - it's very hard to change the thinking of the higher-ups who have been in their positions for a looong time)

Anyways, not sure this is all the reason they are discontinuing the annual passes! :D

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

Then let's do it!

But then I don't want to hear any complaints as a consumer when your price of a park burger goes up to $32.50 and your park ticket price increases over 200%.

Or at your office job and your health insurance premiums sky-rocket due to employer not being able to afford to pay for it.

You can't throw out numbers like $30 an hour for part-time work at a theme park and try to have a serious discussion. I don't have all the answers, but I do think it's much more complicated than you are making it out to be. But I also agree they can probably figure out a way to add more benefits for their workers. Think out of the box.

Anyways, not sure this is all the reason they are discontinuing the annual passes! :D
The answer is to rein in Wall Street. The demand for higher profits quarter over quarter isn't just unrealistic, it's also inhumane to lower-level employees who are the ones who feel the squeeze the most.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
managing attendance
“Retraining customers”
Maybe Disney checked out the Moving to Orlando groups on Facebook and realized the incoming nightmare scenarios.
Whoever’s on that…they aren’t bringing the kinda money Disney needs
Amen! The pixie dust is strong with a majority of the sheep consumers. I’m honestly expecting food/bev prices to increase while I’m here, since it’s the week of Thanksgiving and so … why not???
…but you’re there 🤔
Maybe they are gonna cut the reservations available down by alot... I think they are realizing the "pack as many in so we can sell genie+" is not really working. It's the only thing that makes sense.. because right now things are open...
That would be abandoning the entire strategy of upselling the lines for 100% free and clear profit. Don’t think they’d consider that this soon.
D23 event: “Check out all the exciting things that are coming!!”

Disney: “No Annual Pass sales until next year”

🤔

They have to clear out the backed up point inventory. Forcing members to plan a vacation 11 months in advance for years to accomplish that goal is unrealistic, but seems to be the only way to ensure a room sometimes, and I’m not even talking about peak times. There are things they probably could do - waive exchange fees, could they even reduce the number of points for things like a cruise or standard room? - to encourage points use.

Just got the email about “The Pause”. They added a paragraph and a Question/Answer to the AP website, not much else to report.

Too bad they won’t realize that regular ticket prices are outrageous and that’s a possible reason why many people are choosing AP’s instead right now. As DVC members, a 4 day PH this week is $250 less than what we can pay for a Sorcerer’s pass.
…and yet…you’re THERE.

don’t aim the gun at your own buttocks…is my suggestion.

matt9112

Then let's do it!

You can't throw out numbers like $30 an hour for part-time work at a theme park and try to have a serious discussion. I don't have all the answers, but I do think it's much more complicated than you are making it out to be. But I also agree they can probably figure out a way to add more benefits for their workers. Think out of the box. (and by the way, I would LOVE to be fully remote - it's very hard to change the thinking of the higher-ups who have been in their positions for a looong time)

Benefits to me are huge. And lets look at the most basic unique perk disney offers....access to the parks right? That is something they vigorously regulate and have acording to people here cut back on . I mean call me crazy but i feel like if your not on the clock you should be able to enjoy the parks. now i can understand blockouts for main gate passes for others but i cant reason why the employee can't themselves enjoy the parks whenever unless there at phased closing etc. Granted with the new parks reservation system that could be manipulated too.

matt9112

It’s 100% a myth that Orlando is “cheap”

it’s also antiquated to think anyone wants to make “livable” at this point either.

Yeah im not sure why that trope still rides around. Sure its cheaper than the most expensive citys in America....like anywhere is. To be fair there are parts of Florida that are cheap and far below the national average but its not orlando.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom