News Walt Disney World to resume sales of Annual Passes (New sales resume April 20, 2023)

CntrlFlPete

as a (FL) consumer, I know there is a pretty big price difference between Sorcerer and Pirate passes. I should be able to look at block out date differences, think about how many of those dates I might use to get to a value (for me personal) to justify the price difference, same goes for the top pass -- but then, if capacity is not there for some or any of the dates one sort of paid extra for, well, what did folks pay extra for if they can't use the added non block out dates?? So I guess 12/25 really should be open for anyone w/ the top pass-- so why park res??

Touchdown

Don't you have to go after a certain point, use it or lose it? Technically, you can go to other places, but it defeats the purpose of a Disney timeshare.
Or sell it on resale, which will put downward pressure on the price of DVC units and require Disney to either accept this decreasing trend or force them to buy out the member with their own money.

sWANNISAX

This is really unfair to DVC members. The Annual pass discount is the only discount we get on tickets and was promoted as a benefit to owners. I'm currently the only person in my family with an AP because of the last time they stopped it. We were just talking about this and my family is going to be really upset when they hear this news today. They just bought giftcards at BJs preparing to buy their AP for their future trip and now they can't. It would be one thing if they did this absent of the reservation system but you need tickets to make a reservation and if you had planned to get an AP now your screwed.. The reservation system should be managing attendance if that's its point not this.

Muffinpants

Maybe they are gonna cut the reservations available down by alot... I think they are realizing the "pack as many in so we can sell genie+" is not really working. It's the only thing that makes sense.. because right now things are open...

Chip Chipperson

Don't you have to go after a certain point, use it or lose it? Technically, you can go to other places, but it defeats the purpose of a Disney timeshare.

Correct, DVC points can only be banked once and then you lose them if you don't use them. So DVC owners can really only put off a trip for a year before they have to either use their points themselves or rent them out to someone else who will almost certainly give Disney money for park tickets, food, and merchandise. And if you sell your contract then you're either selling to another person will will either give Disney money for those things or rent the points to people who will - or Disney buys the contract from you via its right of first refusal and then resells it to someone else, thus making additional money off of your contract PLUS the tickets, food, and merch money from the next buyer. What you can do as a DVC owner, though, is use your points to stay at a DVC resort and then buy food off property and not visit the parks and just enjoy the pool and any other amenities that don't cost any additional money.

However, where Disney could shoot itself in the foot is that creating bad word of mouth regarding DVC could limit the market for future DVC resorts and the existing DVC resorts in its portfolio. They still have unsold points for Riviera - which has some absurd restrictions on its resale contracts - and "new" DVC rooms at Grand Floridian and a new DVC tower being built in Anaheim. I'm sure they know there is enough demand for the Grand Floridian rooms or else they wouldn't be converting them, but if the Disneyland DVC tower has the same restrictions as Riviera AND they continue to not offer new APs/Keys for DL then that's going to hurt demand for that resort's contracts.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Correct, DVC points can only be banked once and then you lose them if you don't use them. So DVC owners can really only put off a trip for a year before they have to either use their points themselves or rent them out to someone else who will almost certainly give Disney money for park tickets, food, and merchandise. And if you sell your contract then you're either selling to another person will will either give Disney money for those things or rent the points to people who will - or Disney buys the contract from you via its right of first refusal and then resells it to someone else, thus making additional money off of your contract PLUS the tickets, food, and merch money from the next buyer. What you can do as a DVC owner, though, is use your points to stay at a DVC resort and then buy food off property and not visit the parks and just enjoy the pool and any other amenities that don't cost any additional money.

However, where Disney could shoot itself in the foot is that creating bad word of mouth regarding DVC could limit the market for future DVC resorts and the existing DVC resorts in its portfolio. They still have unsold points for Riviera - which has some absurd restrictions on its resale contracts - and "new" DVC rooms at Grand Floridian and a new DVC tower being built in Anaheim. I'm sure they know there is enough demand for the Grand Floridian rooms or else they wouldn't be converting them, but if the Disneyland DVC tower has the same restrictions as Riviera AND they continue to not offer new APs/Keys for DL then that's going to hurt demand for that resort's contracts.
This is why I’m thinking they may keep the borrowing restrictions in place…it makes DVC think about coming less frequently each year…but more total years.

danv3

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
This is why I’m thinking they may keep the borrowing restrictions in place…it makes DVC think about coming less frequently each year…but more total years.
They have to clear out the backed up point inventory. Forcing members to plan a vacation 11 months in advance for years to accomplish that goal is unrealistic, but seems to be the only way to ensure a room sometimes, and I’m not even talking about peak times. There are things they probably could do - waive exchange fees, could they even reduce the number of points for things like a cruise or standard room? - to encourage points use.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom