News Walt Disney World to resume sales of Annual Passes (New sales resume April 20, 2023)

AJT607

I still think the primary reason Disney isn't ready to bring back the dining plan is based on labor and the amount of still shuttered/not fully-operational restaurants (e.g., think breakfast service at Garden Grill). A secondary reason probably has to do with the infrastructure required to build the plan in to their mobile ordering systems.

As plenty of other people have said - it was a profitable program for them because most guests either lost money or spent/ate more than they likely would have without the dining plan when they purchased it. Disney just can't launch the program and bear the complaints / refund requests that would likely come in if ADR availability remains limited and/or QSRs are unable to accommodate the plan through mobile order. As soon as they are able to overcome those challenges, I'm sure the plan will be back - bigger and more expensive than ever.

On a completely separate note, I know from talking to some former CMs that dining plan guests regularly did not tip as well as a la carte guests. I'm sure some of this comes from confusion about what is and is not included in the plan - but I doubt there are CMs out there clamoring for a return of the plan, as that would likely mean less take home pay for them at the end of the day.

While we considered the dining plan for almost every trip we have ever scheduled, we have only come across one situation where the dining plan worked out for our family to save us money vs paying out-of-pocket. I understand that there are folks out there that use it primarily as a budget tool, but I would encourage those folks to just save that money another way - perhaps by buying Disney gift cards - as those are also a great tool to help you budget/save for your trip.

matt9112

I still think the primary reason Disney isn't ready to bring back the dining plan is based on labor and the amount of still shuttered/not fully-operational restaurants (e.g., think breakfast service at Garden Grill). A secondary reason probably has to do with the infrastructure required to build the plan in to their mobile ordering systems.

As plenty of other people have said - it was a profitable program for them because most guests either lost money or spent/ate more than they likely would have without the dining plan when they purchased it. Disney just can't launch the program and bear the complaints / refund requests that would likely come in if ADR availability remains limited and/or QSRs are unable to accommodate the plan through mobile order. As soon as they are able to overcome those challenges, I'm sure the plan will be back - bigger and more expensive than ever.

On a completely separate note, I know from talking to some former CMs that dining plan guests regularly did not tip as well as a la carte guests. I'm sure some of this comes from confusion about what is and is not included in the plan - but I doubt there are CMs out there clamoring for a return of the plan, as that would likely mean less take home pay for them at the end of the day.

While we considered the dining plan for almost every trip we have ever scheduled, we have only come across one situation where the dining plan worked out for our family to save us money vs paying out-of-pocket. I understand that there are folks out there that use it primarily as a budget tool, but I would encourage those folks to just save that money another way - perhaps by buying Disney gift cards - as those are also a great tool to help you budget/save for your trip.

Free dining in October was the best! Spend a measly 3k on your week vacation and eat like a king!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

It hasn’t come back because people showed and paid menu prices without blinking.

But to your other points…I’ve heard people don’t tip with it. Which is ridiculous unless it’s cultural.
Like…shoot the messengers, ya jerks 😡

But I don’t want it back for hope that maybe the menu streamlining will ease some. Make better food…charge more for it. Simple

AJT607

Free dining in October was the best! Spend a measly 3k on your week vacation and eat like a king!
Yes very true… and they also often ran a 20-30% room discount in combination with free dining so we would calculate the potential room savings and compare it with the dining plan “cost”.

We only started visiting in the mid-2010s and I think free dining had already been sufficiently watered down (only giving you a QS dining plan, for example) by that point.

drizgirl

Yes very true… and they also often ran a 20-30% room discount in combination with free dining so we would calculate the potential room savings and compare it with the dining plan “cost”.

We only started visiting in the mid-2010s and I think free dining had already been sufficiently watered down (only giving you a QS dining plan, for example) by that point.
I think we got the last great deal. It was 2009 and you still got the full dining plan staying at a value resort. There were 4 of us so a great payoff.

I believe it started after the hurricanes in 2004 to lure people back that time of year.

Last edited:

Rickcat96

Not sure about this, if you mean that the "capacity" for dining is still diminished- Look what they did with diminished ride capacity, I.E. Gennie +

Dining plan has nothing to-do with mobile ordering as it's the payment method, not what's ordered.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The brand provides the cover that I’d argue no other company would get.

But particularly in Orlando…Iger REALLY screwed up by not adding capacity. It was the whole key to the financial success of the place…allowing for more and more frivolous guest spending.

They never understood their product. And now the chickens are looking for their hen house.

Bobs are amazingly clueless to what is going down.

BuT aDdInG cApAcItY oNlY iNcReAsEs DeMaNd...

jinx8402

Not sure about this, if you mean that the "capacity" for dining is still diminished- Look what they did with diminished ride capacity, I.E. Gennie +

Dining plan has nothing to-do with mobile ordering as it's the payment method, not what's ordered.

Correct, I remember on my trip in Nov 2019 with the dining plan it was already integrated into the mobile ordering. You could order from a QS and use your QS credit. So not bringing it back yet is not related to mobile ordering.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Yep…

And revenues, profits and per guest spending
And no one's planning a vacation based around Mary Poppins' Carousel. Or the Main Street Theater. Or Dumbo. Or... et al. Those kinds of things are what has been missing since Bob 1.0 took over - the complimentary pieces, the non-headliners, the B/C/D ticket things to do when the E-tickets have too long of a wait for some people. You have to build more than 2 things in a "new land". You'd have thought 50+ years of theme park history would have been a good teacher for the Bob Clowns, but here we are.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And no one's planning a vacation based around Mary Poppins' Carousel. Or the Main Street Theater. Or Dumbo. Or... et al. Those kinds of things are what has been missing since Bob 1.0 took over - the complimentary pieces, the non-headliners, the B/C/D ticket things to do when the E-tickets have too long of a wait for some people. You have to build more than 2 things in a "new land". You'd have thought 50+ years of theme park history would have been a good teacher for the Bob Clowns, but here we are.
I’m quite sure they have no understanding of at least 2 big parts of their portfolio

And many more “debatable” at the least

EPCOT-O.G.

Winner winner chicken dinner.
Bed Bath and Beyond model - mark up everything so moms think they’re getting a deal using their cache of 20% off coupons.

Not sure that’s a model to emulate for TWDC - they’ve performed even worse than Disney over the last year!

1CC0E01F-3A99-475E-B254-FEBBFACCC1E4.jpeg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Bed Bath and Beyond model - mark up everything so moms think they’re getting a deal using their cache of 20% off coupons.

Not sure that’s a model to emulate for TWDC - they’ve performed even worse than Disney over the last year!

View attachment 679087
Yeah…that’s “kohls pricing”…and we identified Iger doing that in parks during the housing crash.

There are no original ideas left

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

View attachment 679087

Kind of funny how a CEO isn't on the hot seat when the stock price for the company he runs is down 40% YoY and roughly 25% since he was installed as CEO. And still no dividend.

"We just need the consumers to purchase more units at higher prices to increase margins for our synergy machine" - Bob Chapek

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Kind of funny how a CEO isn't on the hot seat when the stock price for the company he runs is down 40% YoY and roughly 25% since he was installed as CEO. And still no dividend.
Because the Board that can fire him approved his strategy regarding D+ which was the same under Iger.

Wall Street, when they first saw that strategy, made DIS stock double. Wall Street is now down on that strategy and so it (and all the other streamer's stocks) is being punished.

I'm sure the Board is still on board with the strategy.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Because the Board that can fire him approved his strategy regarding D+ which was the same under Iger.

Wall Street, when they first saw that strategy, made DIS stock double. Wall Street is now down on that strategy and so it (and all the other streamer's stocks) is being punished.

I'm sure the Board is still on board with the strategy.
Go Big Tonight Show GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom