News Walt Disney World theme parks increase capacity but see longer waits and less physical distancing

Polkadotdress

Some of it has to do with the show formats as well.
  • Indy: Needs a "crowd" for Egypt stunt scenes. Sure you could space guests further apart while keeping several guests balancing on one leg. But during various stunt scenes the "crowd" is close together. May need to revise show to remove crowd temporarily .
  • FOTLK: Guests no longer in floor seating. Too close to cast members performing. Couldn't have kids dancing with cast either at the end of the show. Move guests farther up, space them every other row, with empty space within rows as in other theaters.
  • Nemo: Some scenes are in the aisles. Would have to move those to the central stage or remove them temporarily. Apply the usual every other row and spacing within rows.
  • BATB: This one is the most immediately ready to re-open as the entire show is on the stage and guests are sufficiently separated already.

And the performers in these shows are...superhuman? They won't be working in close quarters onstage/backstage?

Methinks you oversimply what it takes to put these shows on.

MAGICFLOP

How would it be to get there and find that all the virtual queues are full and every attraction has a 90 minute wait after paying your $100 per person entrance fee...and the shows are not running and many of the restaurants are closed.... Best to keep it limited for now... We went last weekend and found it too crowded for safety, the lines outrageously long, and lots of peripherals closed.
OK, so will you go back this weekend? Probably Not right? , so it is self limiting.. my point exactly.. so if WDW wants you back again, they will open more attractions / restaurants..

JohnD

And the performers in these shows are...superhuman? They won't be working in close quarters onstage/backstage?

Methinks you oversimply what it takes to put these shows on.

Methinks you think cast couldn’t perform at all and life has to come to a stop. Wrong. it’s all moot now anyway isn’t it? Assuming the shows could go on, it would be the same as sports teams - regular testing for CMs. Couldn’t do that with guests so the best you could do is separate guests from cast and guests from each other. It’s all moot because these CMs were laid off. Wouldn’t you rather they be “superhuman” than be laid off?

Last edited:

zengoth

Epcot today was vastly different than the experience we had in August. With every other store and restaurant having a closed sign (one in Germany is only open for the weekday crowds - which makes no sense to me) and only half the food/wine booths, it was a quick day. As a passholder, i paid about $45 for the experience, but i can’t imagine how folks who paid full gate price must have felt. Also the absence of cast members from different countries made the day a bit bland as well (although every CM we encountered was upbeat and engaged with us in lively conversation.) I hope the company has a good long range plan.

Vegas Disney Fan

At some point people will stop coming due to longer wait times and less things to do.
The locals and frequent visitors may stop coming as often as normal but Disney has millions of annual visitors to pull from, I think Disney knows they have enough fans they can sustain the limited capacity for several months, even without a lot of return visitor traffic. They just need to survive the next several months until we have a vaccine or treatment and then things can start to get back to some sense of normal.

I know at least a dozen DL AP holders from CA going in the next month, my Gf and I are coming from NV, my brothers family is coming from UT.. for all of us this is our first trip to a Disney park since before the shut down. We are all just happy to be going to a Disney park, if I can get on half a dozen rides a day I’ll be content. Judging by some of the negative reviews we may not be booking return trips for the next month but if they don’t reopen DL by next spring I can almost guarantee we‘ll all be back to WDW for another fix by next summer, my guess is thats true of a large percentage of the people saying they won’t be back too, they may not return next month but give them 3 months and they’ll be back for a Disney fix again too.

TrainsOfDisney

DW and I were at Epcot on Wednesday (10/28) and it's true that a few of the festival kiosks were not open. Specifically I remember "The Alps" and "Islands of the Caribbean" not open. "Spain" may not have been open as well.
Wow. That says a lot about the level of cuts. Even when hurricanes were approaching they kept all the festival booths staffed and opened.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Was at MK on Saturday for Halloween. Crowds were high and lines were long but we were there to people-watch and mission accomplished. Haunted Mansion was 60+ all day long.

Last edited:

Ldno

Epcot today was vastly different than the experience we had in August. With every other store and restaurant having a closed sign (one in Germany is only open for the weekday crowds - which makes no sense to me) and only half the food/wine booths, it was a quick day. As a passholder, i paid about $45 for the experience, but i can’t imagine how folks who paid full gate price must have felt. Also the absence of cast members from different countries made the day a bit bland as well (although every CM we encountered was upbeat and engaged with us in lively conversation.) I hope the company has a good long range plan.
Still doesn’t make sense why the park hours from 10am to 10pm justify this mid november.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Was at MK on Saturday for Halloween. Crows were high
Man, what were they smokin'?

1604326003074.png

zengoth

Still doesn’t make sense why the park hours from 10am to 10pm justify this mid november.
With less than 10 "attractions" and so many stores/restaurants shuttered (and no after-dark entertainment), i figure it's to give the folks who paid good $$$ at the gate enough time to wander aimlessly and feel they got their $$$$s worth.

Ldno

With less than 10 "attractions" and so many stores/restaurants shuttered (and no after-dark entertainment), i figure it's to give the folks who paid good $$$ at the gate enough time to wander aimlessly and feel they got their $$$$s worth.
I’m not going to lie, I grew up with Epcot Center, and for the first time ever despite all it’s construction I will literally try to take my time and actually try to explore every single country and inch of the world showcases to their fullest, everything. Be the ultimate tourist IMHO

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom