News Walt Disney World theme park ticket price increases go into effect March 12 2019

Carlasue991

No, that was more a general question. But I did think you said you were no longer feeling the magic, my apologies if that's not what you meant. So my question is what makes someone return ANY place and pay premium prices to some where they feel is no longer worth it??
I accept your apology because that is not what I said. Someone else said that about me. I will be leaving this unofficial group. So confrontational. You all do attack very well. Hope I don't meet any of you at DW. Don't bother replying .Have a magical day.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
giphy.gif

SteveAZee

LOL I guess there are many "real" fans. we too stay onesite ( we are dvc'ers so we plopped down a wad of cash to make sure that always happens), can't really say generations of my family because pretty much there was no disney most of my parents genereation. lol. my entire family invested in wdw, family reunions, weddings, graduation celebrations. I don't give a hoot about "walts" dream, don't even know what his dreams are. I could care less if walt is rolling over in his grave. I'm a consumer. Do I feel that I am getting the value that comes with the asking price?? Now I absolutely agree with you, it is a problem if one feels they are not getting good quality.

But I do have a question, if you really feel that they change is poorly executed or the feeling is lost, why wouldn't you just stop going?? why would you continue to pay for something you feel you are not getting value from? I can't remember who it was but someone else mentioned that consumers feel they are getting "fleeced". why in heavens name would someone continue to go someplace where they feel that way? that's why we say to "stop going". heck, I don't go back to restaurants if I have a bad meal and that's only a few bucks

sorry I just really don't understand this belief that Walt was everybody's benevolent Grandpa, I feel like there should be a plague outside of magic kingdom with the inscription
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses, yearning to ride space mountain.

I agree with what you've said, for the most part. I think people continue to return to WDW, perhaps even after the threshold of $ pain has been crossed, for nostalgia reasons. They went as kids and hope to have their own kids experience it as well... or they're still kids at heart and hope to recapture the magic. The cold reality of higher prices and larger crowds throws a wet blanket on that, so they have to now trade off the value of the trip vs. the 'feelings' of the trip, and that's a tough thing for people to do, so they complain.

disneyfireman

Disney prices...? As I've said before.....I'll work all the overtime in the world....cause nothing will keep us from it!!
Good excuse to log a few more hours now and then.....

ThistleMae

I agree with what you've said, for the most part. I think people continue to return to WDW, perhaps even after the threshold of $ pain has been crossed, for nostalgia reasons. They went as kids and hope to have their own kids experience it as well... or they're still kids at heart and hope to recapture the magic. The cold reality of higher prices and larger crowds throws a wet blanket on that, so they have to now trade off the value of the trip vs. the 'feelings' of the trip, and that's a tough thing for people to do, so they complain.
Yes, people do complain and they still go...from what I've read. I imagine it must take away from the overall experience . That's too bad. How awful that must feel, to spend all that money to go on vacation and feel like it's not really worth it. I think in life, you'll find folks where this is the case in many things. So sad to exist with this mindset.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
No they shouldn't. Should all businesses lower there prices just because they are not going "broke"? or because sectors feel it's getting to expensive??

This is not a "pay what you feel" museum, tickets should be as high as the market can bear because the market (general public) will quickly be tell a business when they've cross the lines.

Now if folks think the direction the company is going, the absolute best way to let them know that is to stop patronizing them. I still get great value for my Disney vacations. I don't compare them to what they were years ago or what they "should"be doing. no need for my family to get deep or sentimental.
1001 of the same post.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
LOL I guess there are many "real" fans. we too stay onesite ( we are dvc'ers so we plopped down a wad of cash to make sure that always happens), can't really say generations of my family because pretty much there was no disney most of my parents genereation. lol. my entire family invested in wdw, family reunions, weddings, graduation celebrations. I don't give a hoot about "walts" dream, don't even know what his dreams are. I could care less if walt is rolling over in his grave. I'm a consumer. Do I feel that I am getting the value that comes with the asking price?? Now I absolutely agree with you, it is a problem if one feels they are not getting good quality.

But I do have a question, if you really feel that they change is poorly executed or the feeling is lost, why wouldn't you just stop going?? why would you continue to pay for something you feel you are not getting value from? I can't remember who it was but someone else mentioned that consumers feel they are getting "fleeced". why in heavens name would someone continue to go someplace where they feel that way? that's why we say to "stop going". heck, I don't go back to restaurants if I have a bad meal and that's only a few bucks

sorry I just really don't understand this belief that Walt was everybody's benevolent Grandpa, I feel like there should be a plague outside of magic kingdom with the inscription
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses, yearning to ride space mountain.
1002 of the same post.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The funny thing is, those who say some posters are "living in the past", are enjoying the rides and attractions and shows that were created "in the past", when Disney did things in big, bold ways and did things you never thought you'd like until you experienced it. Going on ad naseum about "things are just more expensive these days, get over it", and "you expect them to offer a cheap vacation to everyone?" are just red herrings. If you want to experience what Disney has done in the past decade, limit your WDW experience to New Fantasyland, HEA, CGI Soarin', FEA, Avatar, TSL, and Disney Springs, and then get back to us then on how much value those things truly hold compared to the price you're paying for your vacation.

The Motley Fool had an article recently, "Is Disney World too expensive?". While they say the things I'd expect to hear - Why stop raising prices when the crowds continue to roll in, and they won't stop until the number of people coming through the turnstiles decline - they also said that prices have risen 468% over 31 straight years of price increases, and admit they have far outstripped the (government-manipulated) rate of inflation. Shrinking your pool of potential visitors by charging a higher and higher price doesn't seem to be the best long-term plan, but what do I know...

eliza61nyc

The Motley Fool had an article recently, "Is Disney World too expensive?". While they say the things I'd expect to hear - Why stop raising prices when the crowds continue to roll in, and they won't stop until the number of people coming through the turnstiles decline - they also said that prices have risen 468% over 31 straight years of price increases, and admit they have far outstripped the (government-manipulated) rate of inflation. Shrinking your pool of potential visitors by charging a higher and higher price doesn't seem to be the best long-term plan, but what do I know...

Can we link articles? I read the same article. ok mods if this is illegal I apologize, please delete.

It's actually not a bad strategy. right now the primary complaint with Disney is the crowds. thin out the crowds and you have more favorable reviews. One of retails biggest weapons is the "sale". raising the prices is giving Disney great flexibility. If they ever "jump the shark" so to speak, they will give the "proverbial" discount. That's exactly what they did after 9-11 if I recall.

now it also depends on how we are defining "long term". pretty much unless something catastrophic happens to the economy, the parks are golden for 10 years. IMO Star wars and Epcot updates are going to see to that.

if some thing catastrophic happens again like 2008, well lol going to Disney will be the last thing folks worry about.

Tom P.

Can we link articles? I read the same article. ok mods if this is illegal I apologize, please delete.

It's actually not a bad strategy. right now the primary complaint with Disney is the crowds. thin out the crowds and you have more favorable reviews. One of retails biggest weapons is the "sale". raising the prices is giving Disney great flexibility. If they ever "jump the shark" so to speak, they will give the "proverbial" discount. That's exactly what they did after 9-11 if I recall.

now it also depends on how we are defining "long term". pretty much unless something catastrophic happens to the economy, the parks are golden for 10 years. IMO Star wars and Epcot updates are going to see to that.

if some thing catastrophic happens again like 2008, well lol going to Disney will be the last thing folks worry about.
That's exactly how free dining came about, in fact.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Odd. This is the article I read, and it's almost identical to the one you linked.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Odd. This is the article I read, and it's almost identical to the one you linked.

Motley Fool's analysis of Disney is usually... not very insightful. So, being repetitive isn't surprising. It's rehashing stuff because of new news which isn't much of news anyway. "Prices raised on a popular and in-demand product" is so very deep. ;)

disneyflush

Its a sign of something interesting when people start getting angry at other people for making the parks crazy busy even though they 'obviously can't really afford it' without credit cards.

"Keep raising prices!", they scream.

So busy trying to price out the crowds they don't notice what else is happening.

eliza61nyc

Its a sign of something interesting when people start getting angry at other people for making the parks crazy busy even though they 'obviously can't really afford it' without credit cards.

"Keep raising prices!", they scream.

So busy trying to price out the crowds they don't notice what else is happening.
May I ask how you know others can't afford their trips? I'm just curious.

I know a boatload of disney lovers and they very much can afford their trips but really I never think to ask how someone pays for their vacations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom