News Walt Disney World theme park ticket price increases go into effect March 12 2019

Lensman

You are right it is impossible to find out airfares.
It won't get you fares from 1990, but I wanted to point out that you can get historical average airfares for select U.S. cities from 1995 onwards at https://www.transtats.bts.gov/AIRFARES/.

As an example, the airfare to Orlando was $245 in 2018 but was $300 back in 1995. The quoted prices are not inflation adjusted. If you were just going by that, airfare went down in both real (inflation adjusted) and nominal dollars! Note: I don't think these averages are adjusted for changes in destinations. Also, the listed fare averages don't account for baggage fees.

My position is easy. A WDW vacation is very expensive and always has been. It is not for the majority of Americans and never has been.
I find I can neither agree nor disagree with this, just because there's latitude for it to be either true or false. I agree that the majority of American's can't afford a "standard" 4-5 day WDW vacation, even offsite, but that's because 80% of U.S. workers are living paycheck-to-paycheck. And though I'm sure people will say that people can just pull their credit cards out, most families who have credit cards would have to pay off enough to even have the available credit to charge their trip. It's honestly crazy scary to me, but it's true.

OTOH, what @MrMcDuck says is true. One can do Disney on a budget and spend a fraction of what the average WDW vacation costs. I have trailer park relatives who go to WDW for a day or two every few years.

I know the resorts are half the point for myself and most here, but a less well off family that is really trying to save on a Disney trip will bargain hunt and find a deal for around $50/night for an offsite, Kissimmee-based hotel with shuttle transportation to the parks and complimentary continental breakfast. They'll have their stale danish and cereal in the morning, bring some snacks to the park, and do QS and CS for the rest. It's certainly not an ideal way to do it because it wastes a ton of time on transportation, but based on how popular those hotels on 192 are during certain times of the year, many people are choosing that option over not making a Disney trip at all.

Then there's Scrooge McLensman. I've mentioned that we pack our lunches at least once per trip, and we've reduced the frequency of trips to every few years because WDW has become "unaffordable". And I'd consider us to be middle-class - or as cousin Isobel says, "Upper Middle Class!".

BTW, I agree with everyone who dismisses the idea that Disney is raising prices "to reduce crowding". They are raising prices "to increase profits". However, I do agree that they are raising prices more during peak seasons to redirect some people away from peak season and towards off-season.

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
The gap in attendance between the Japanese and American Magic Kingdoms can in part be explained by the lack of after hour parties and such.

The Tokyo parks are typically open 8-10 every day. Early entry for hotel guests is only 15 minutes. There’s no option to pay $80 to get in an hour earlier for a fast food breakfast and 5 rides and there’s no constant tweaking of hours based on changing forecasts. They assume every day is busy and plan accordingly.

It’s so simple in comparison.
I'm not sure how this is even relevant? First of all, the numbers that go to these events are minimal and couldn't possibly account for a 4M annual difference. Second, I believe the figures are related to General admission, not special hard ticketed events, although I may be wrong about that (if someone with better knowledge of park attendance figures can shed some light here, that would be great).

JoeCamel

I'm not sure how this is even relevant? First of all, the numbers that go to these events are minimal and couldn't possibly account for a 4M annual difference. Second, I believe the figures are related to General admission, not special hard ticketed events, although I may be wrong about that (if someone with better knowledge of park attendance figures can shed some light here, that would be great).
You don't think Epcot is boosted 4M a year by drunky town events?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I am not wrong. Both my sisters were teachers in NJ and started in the late 1970s. The other interesting fact that most people no longer think about is that it was in the 1970s that society changed and 2 income families became the norm. The median family income in 1971 was $9,030. The median family income in 2017 was $61,372. That is an increase of 680%. Do you really believe a family of 4 making $9,030 could have afforded a vacation to WDW? Remember clothes cost a much larger percentage of ones income because clothing used to be made in the USA and not China. Food was a higher percentage of income. But taxes were a smaller percentage.
And inflation was only 547% so the income increased more than prices.

DisneyJoe

If I already bought my date based tickets for May 2019 will I have to pay more to use them?
If the tickets are part of a package and you make a change to the package, the tickets may get adjusted in price. If you call and get a CM who knows what they are doing to make the adjustment, they may be able to keep them the same, if their rules allow.

ThistleMae

I think we still should be upset about that. Disney is not going broke. I don't see the need to increase every year. I spent tons of money above and beyond tickets . The tickets should be much lower.
While in theory, I would like the tickets and the resorts to be lower in price, because if would be a more affordable vacation. But it is a business, and it is about making money. Yes, we would like Disney to be more altruistic, and be good to their loyal customers and consumers in general, but it's not going to happen. It leaves us Disney fans to figure out how to continue to afford a vacation we love. And that's exactly what folks are doing. Staying less days, staying offsite, being more planful about meal budgeting, etc. The argument is moot. Disney will do whatever it feels like doing...with the bottom line being profits.

Carlasue991

While in theory, I would like the tickets and the resorts to be lower in price, because if would be a more affordable vacation. But it is a business, and it is about making money. Yes, we would like Disney to be more altruistic, and be good to their loyal customers and consumers in general, but it's not going to happen. It leaves us Disney fans to figure out how to continue to afford a vacation we love. And that's exactly what folks are doing. Staying less days, staying offsite, being more planful about meal budgeting, etc. The argument is moot. Disney will do whatever it feels like doing...with the bottom line being profits.

Yes you are correct. But I do know it is getting more and more difficult to get the experience you want. We go every one to two years and the children are coming home more and more disappointed. Fast passes are harder to get. lines are so long you spend most of your day in the park in line. I start planning a year in advance. I am still trying to get Cinderella's Royal table reservation. These are just a few of the frustrations. But I would make it happen if the kids really want to go but when they have more fun elsewhere then that is where we go. So the day is quickly coming when that is what we will do. Sad because we remember how good it used to be.

ThistleMae

Yes you are correct. But I do know it is getting more and more difficult to get the experience you want. We go every one to two years and the children are coming home more and more disappointed. Fast passes are harder to get. lines are so long you spend most of your day in the park in line. I start planning a year in advance. I am still trying to get Cinderella's Royal table reservation. These are just a few of the frustrations. But I would make it happen if the kids really want to go but when they have more fun elsewhere then that is where we go. So the day is quickly coming when that is what we will do. Sad because we remember how good it used to be.
I definitely hear what you're saying. Perhaps the novelty has just worn off. And I'm sure the crowds and lines don't help matters. But...there are new Disney lovers being born every day. They won't know the difference. Just like technology is changing the way we work and live, people just get used to it. I can't tell you how many young college graduates still have roommates due to the cost of renting an apartment. Life is changing.

Carlasue991

I definitely hear what you're saying. Perhaps the novelty has just worn off. And I'm sure the crowds and lines don't help matters. But...there are new Disney lovers being born every day. They won't know the difference. Just like technology is changing the way we work and live, people just get used to it. I can't tell you how many young college graduates still have roommates due to the cost of renting an apartment. Life is changing.
Well that is depressing. I don't think the solution is "times are changing" time has been changing my entire life. We change with it. I think change is great. The problem is poorly executed change. That is the direction Disney is heading. I have been to Disney stayed in their resorts and never went to a park. We are a family of Disney fans. Generations of our family and friends are Disney fans. So to give up with the statement " it's just time for you to stop going" is going to end it one day. The legacy of Disney is the feeling you get when you walk down main Street and can see the shadows of Walt Disney and his dream. Yes 2019 Disney world is motivated by money but the real fans are not.

ThistleMae

Well that is depressing. I don't think the solution is "times are changing" time has been changing my entire life. We change with it. I think change is great. The problem is poorly executed change. That is the direction Disney is heading. I have been to Disney stayed in their resorts and never went to a park. We are a family of Disney fans. Generations of our family and friends are Disney fans. So to give up with the statement " it's just time for you to stop going" is going to end it one day. The legacy of Disney is the feeling you get when you walk down main Street and can see the shadows of Walt Disney and his dream. Yes 2019 Disney world is motivated by money but the real fans are not.
I'm sorry you are losing the feeling, the Magic, Disney has brought you and your family for so many years. I hope this never happens to me. "Poorly executed change" is subjective. There will still be many who will embrace the change and keep the Magic alive. Sorry for your loss.

Carlasue991

I'm sorry you are losing the feeling, the Magic, Disney has brought you and your family for so many years. I hope this never happens to me. "Poorly executed change" is subjective. There will still be many who will embrace the change and keep the Magic alive. Sorry for your loss.

No. I'm sorry for yours. Have a magical day.🙂

eliza61nyc

I think we still should be upset about that. Disney is not going broke. I don't see the need to increase every year. I spent tons of money above and beyond tickets . The tickets should be much lower.

No they shouldn't. Should all businesses lower there prices just because they are not going "broke"? or because sectors feel it's getting to expensive??

This is not a "pay what you feel" museum, tickets should be as high as the market can bear because the market (general public) will quickly be tell a business when they've cross the lines.

Now if folks think the direction the company is going, the absolute best way to let them know that is to stop patronizing them. I still get great value for my Disney vacations. I don't compare them to what they were years ago or what they "should"be doing. no need for my family to get deep or sentimental.

eliza61nyc

LOL I guess there are many "real" fans. we too stay onesite ( we are dvc'ers so we plopped down a wad of cash to make sure that always happens), can't really say generations of my family because pretty much there was no disney most of my parents genereation. lol. my entire family invested in wdw, family reunions, weddings, graduation celebrations. I don't give a hoot about "walts" dream, don't even know what his dreams are. I could care less if walt is rolling over in his grave. I'm a consumer. Do I feel that I am getting the value that comes with the asking price?? Now I absolutely agree with you, it is a problem if one feels they are not getting good quality.

But I do have a question, if you really feel that they change is poorly executed or the feeling is lost, why wouldn't you just stop going?? why would you continue to pay for something you feel you are not getting value from? I can't remember who it was but someone else mentioned that consumers feel they are getting "fleeced". why in heavens name would someone continue to go someplace where they feel that way? that's why we say to "stop going". heck, I don't go back to restaurants if I have a bad meal and that's only a few bucks

sorry I just really don't understand this belief that Walt was everybody's benevolent Grandpa, I feel like there should be a plague outside of magic kingdom with the inscription
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses, yearning to ride space mountain.

Last edited:

Carlasue991

LOL I guess there are many "real" fans. we too stay onesite ( we are dvc'ers so we plopped down a wad of cash to make sure that always happens), can't really say generations of my family because pretty much there was no disney most of my parents genereation. lol. my entire family invested in wdw, family reunions, weddings, graduation celebrations. I don't give a hoot about "walts" dream, don't even know what his dreams are. I could care less if walt is rolling over in his grave. I'm a consumer. Do I feel that I am getting the value that comes with the asking price??

Carlasue991

I don't recall saying I don't go. I do and I pay their price. All I said was they need to give more thought to some of the ways they do things. I go to Disney even when the kids don't go. We are going again in December. Not staying off property. Taking the RV. I will continue to go until they price themselves off the market. Have a magical day.

eliza61nyc

I don't recall saying I don't go. I do and I pay their price. All I said was they need to give more thought to some of the ways they do things. I go to Disney even when the kids don't go. We are going again in December. Not staying off property. Taking the RV. I will continue to go until they price themselves off the market. Have a magical day.
No, that was more a general question. But I did think you said you were no longer feeling the magic, my apologies if that's not what you meant. So my question is what makes someone return ANY place and pay premium prices to some where they feel is no longer worth it??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom