News Walt Disney World theme park ticket price increases go into effect March 12 2019

prberk

I know that few people here seem to care, but the ticket prices have gotten far and away beyond ridiculous for an average family. It's just sad, to me. I am a longtime youth leader at my church, and I used to be able to recommend a way for most families to get to Disney World and experience what I recommend; but these days many of the families I know just cannot do these prices. Period.

Last edited:

GusEzra

Seems to me this is just part of a overall trend to push people to staying on property. Cause it will be Disney resort guests that will see the first discounts on the new ticket prices.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Honestly, this doesn't bother me that much. Why shouldn't they raise prices during Christmas week? Multiday prices didn't see much of an increase in most cases. Really this affects you the most if you decide to go during Christmas Week or some parts of the summer for only a day.

scottieRoss

I know that few people here seem to care, but the ticket prices have gotten far and away beyond ridiculous for an average family. It's just sad, to me. I am longtime youth leader at my church, and I used to be able to recommend a way for most families to get to Disney World and experience what I recommend; but these days many of the families I know just cannot do these prices. Period.
It is not that people do not care, however, the prices have not gotten beyond rediculous. The number one complaint on here and other boards besides the price is the crowds. If you recall from your economics classes, Supply and Demand seek an equilibrium and we have not reached that point yet. If WDW is overcrowded, then the demand exceeds supply and the prices are not high enough.
WDW is a premium vacation experience. Travelling to WDW is not a right and should not be an expectation. If you value the experience more than the money, you will attend WDW. If you value the money above the experience, then you will vacation somewhere else.

ABigBrassBand

Well, this only confirms that I won’t be spending an extended vacation at WDW anytime soon, but I’m also not surprised. Now that I live in Germany and the lowest AP at DLP is 150EUR, it’s more likely I’ll be there. Wish Disney would take into consideration the increasing inaccessibility...honestly, I’m headed to MK this Thursday and couldn’t justify financially getting a park hopper, so I didn’t. Oh well.

halltd

I know that few people here seem to care, but the ticket prices have gotten far and away beyond ridiculous for an average family. It's just sad, to me. I am longtime youth leader at my church, and I used to be able to recommend a way for most families to get to Disney World and experience what I recommend; but these days many of the families I know just cannot do these prices. Period.
If it’s too expensive for the average family, then there are a ton of above average families visiting. It’s like Christmas and New Years year round now. The experience isn’t even fun sometimes. I just had dinner with a friend’s family who was just at DHS and MK for two days...first time. They had a great time but said the parks were far too crowded with impatient and mean people...and that it was so difficult to just move through the parks.

Making the sidewalks all bigger isn’t working. Extending park hours longer isn’t working. Raising prices isn’t even working. People just keep coming.

I would actually love to see the data on who’s really in the parks. Is it mostly internet bloggers and “travel agents” who have APs and not the families visiting from Ohio or Oklahoma? Maybe it’s all CMs having to get their Instagram shots in? Tour groups? All of the above?

All I know is that attendance needs to go down somehow to make the parks more enjoyable.

NomeKing88

I don’t think most people would ever want to admit “I can’t afford to go to Disney World” because doing so would mean they are too poor to partake in one of the biggest rites of passage in our culture. So as long as there are credit cards and a desire for Disney “magic” I don’t see crowds dying down anytime soon.

The only way they can fix the overcrowding issue is to lower park capacity. Only allow a certain number of people inside at any given time. But we know that won’t happen EVER. :rolleyes:

seascape

People staying at WDW for a vacation book a package, hotel and park tickets. The prices for both may go up individually but that does not mean that packages go up as much. If both go up 10% there is nothing from stopping Disney from only increasing the package by 5%. The losers on this increase are most likely off site hotels that are not good neighbor hotels. Also look for packages that match the nights and tickets so people stay and play on property only. This will also make free dining less valuable and not worth it.

seascape

I don’t think most people would ever want to admit “I can’t afford to go to Disney World” because doing so would mean they are too poor to partake in one of the biggest rites of passage in our culture. So as long as there are credit cards and a desire for Disney “magic” I don’t see crowds dying down anytime soon.

The only way they can fix the overcrowding issue is to lower park capacity. Only allow a certain number of people inside at any given time. But we know that won’t happen EVER. :rolleyes:
My parents didn't mind telling us they could not afford a WDW trip when I was growing up. They already paid for the yacht club so we had the pool and sailing. We lived on the Jersey Shore and had the beach everyday in the Summer. Looking back I see we were in the upper middle class but even then WDW was for the rich or those with the same money my parents had but spending it on a weeks vacation rather than something there kids could enjoy year round. We also has Great Adventures Annual Passes since it opened.

Disney was never for the masses. It is a lie that gets passed along by those who don't want to admit they came from families that were rich or were lucky to live near a Disney park.

Sneezy62

Prices are harder for a family larger than three or four to justify. If my wife and only had one child, I have no doubt WDW trips would be more common. I suspect that we would spend more money in the parks and stay on property. It looks like they are trying to figure out how to get blood from turnips. Oh well if it’s no fun, we won’t go. That’s ok with us and apparently ok with them. That’s just life.

dennis-in-ct

Someone on this forum once posted a terrific graph that showed the average household income as compared to WDW tickets. The two were about the same until around early 2000’s the WDW ticket prices started increasing- and the difference has grown steadily greater.

Patcheslee

The price doesn't effect me at this point because we have already booked a package. But considering we had a 2 year gap since our last visit and only this soon because of work overtime, it may be longer before we consider it again. For us Disney isn't a vacation unless the vacation account shows enough funds. There is still a long bucket list DD10 has that is alot cheaper. Even if it's "I want to see Palais Garnier" lol

John park hopper

With record profits I ask myself why does Disney continue to raise prices and and add new fees for things that once were "free" (probably hidden somewhere). Cost of labor up? material costs up? stock holder demand? or simple we raise prices because we can? Sad

the.dreamfinder

If it’s too expensive for the average family, then there are a ton of above average families visiting. It’s like Christmas and New Years year round now. The experience isn’t even fun sometimes. I just had dinner with a friend’s family who was just at DHS and MK for two days...first time. They had a great time but said the parks were far too crowded with impatient and mean people...and that it was so difficult to just move through the parks.

Making the sidewalks all bigger isn’t working. Extending park hours longer isn’t working. Raising prices isn’t even working. People just keep coming.

I would actually love to see the data on who’s really in the parks. Is it mostly internet bloggers and “travel agents” who have APs and not the families visiting from Ohio or Oklahoma? Maybe it’s all CMs having to get their Instagram shots in? Tour groups? All of the above?

All I know is that attendance needs to go down somehow to make the parks more enjoyable.
This is a problem of Disney’s own creation. They don’t know or want to build for capacity anymore. FW used to be able to do 55 THOUSAND people per hour.

People used to slam EPCOT Center for appearing too empty, but that park was built with massive capacity Disney would never build for today.

eddie104

Disney was never for the masses. It is a lie that gets passed along by those who don't want to admit they came from families that were rich or were lucky to live near a Disney park.
A lot of people are already paying an arm and leg that a percentage of American families can’t afford. Some are acting like they are poor and destitute which is far from the case.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom