News Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin to eliminate 1136 employees

Lilofan

I'm working on designing chemical feed systems for a new facility. Most customer contact is webex, phone and emailing of prints.

I finally received a physical print of a main water system. The print was 18ft long. Try following this print while scrolling on a 27" monitor. It will make you want to cry. Piped it onto my 125" screen and was only marginally better.

There is still a need for physical interaction.
Wow, that's challenging. During that I would walk a short walk to the kitchen a few times and grab some liquid refreshments to get me through the day.

disdonald

I always felt like that, but I've actually really enjoyed working from home for the past 6 months.

However, I've been working on some pretty easy cases. There are other cases I've worked on in the past (and ones that some colleagues are currently working on) where I think WFH would be a nightmare.
You have only done it for 6 months try for 10-12 years. Very lonely after a few years. I actually looked forward to the face to face meetings to really develop the relationships. Face to face was really where our team bonded and created that relationship that helped with the remoteness

mdcpr

You can't buy someone a drink on Zoom. You can't judge body language. You can't touch and feel the product that someone is trying to sell Don't get me wrong, Zoom, WebEx, etc. are great tools that will change the landscape, but I think conferences will eventually recover most of their previous business. IDK about other workplaces, but at mine its the bosses that go on the most conferences, not the underlings. The bosses aren't going to eliminate their own travel unless they have to.
I don't know about you, but I talk from experience and knowledge. Bosses might not eliminate their own travel, but middle management and lower will have to do with virtual. The business conferences/travel industry is NOT coming back. This all comes down to revenue, earnings and expenses. And you are right, you can't buy someone a drink on Zoom---I've been going to virtual happy hours where I'm sent a bottle of wine in advance, and have also attended an event with a mixologist.

mdcpr

You can, but the proof is in the nature of human interaction, as MickeyLuv'r stated. We're seeing a rise in WFH fatigue and even the press is picking up on it. People miss routines, commutes, and basically everything that we hate about office life, but at least it beats the mundane nature of WFH months on months on end.
This could also be a generation thing. Most people I know do not miss commutes and like their new schedule because they are not tied down to an office.

jmp85

Business travel as a whole might NEVER come back. Now that everyone is used to Zoom/Skype/Teams etc, there is much less need for people to go face to face.

I work for a pretty large organization and they've all but said our business travel will never return to what it was. They have seen we can operate remotely just fine and would rather allocate that money in other areas of the business.

Lilofan

I work for a pretty large organization and they've all but said our business travel will never return to what it was. They have seen we can operate remotely just fine and would rather allocate that money in other areas of the business.
In many major convention and hotel cities including Orlando there may just be a lot of huge vacant real estate with overgreen weeds decorating the landscape.

MickeyLuv'r

I would add that while human interaction in a face to face manner is always going to be important and essential for personal relationships, many of the younger generations filling our shoes prefer electronic communication for utilitarian needs.

Have you been to WDW?

Most of us- even if we fall solidly into one sensory-favoring category or another, respond strongest to multi-sensory simulation. Even if we aren't paying attention, the theme parks are constantly bombarding us with multisensory experiences, and we react.

Think about it, why do GF, BC or HRH bother to pump in strong fragrances and special music?

Geir Ness' Laila = NORWAY!

HM's organ music? Wishes "Star light, star bright, first star..."? Soarin' without the scents? FoP's breathing-type motion? BTMRR or EE's anti-roll back clacking sound? It is the full multisensory stimulation that makes WDW attractions so effective.

In sales too, multi-sensory = sales.

Lilofan

Have you been to WDW?

Most of us- even if we fall solidly into one sensory-favoring category or another, respond strongest to multi-sensory simulation. Even if we aren't paying attention, the theme parks are constantly bombarding us with multisensory experiences, and we react.

Think about it, why do GF, BC or HRH bother to pump in strong fragrances and special music?

HM's organ music? Wishes "Star light, star bright, first star..."? Soarin' without the scents? FoP's breathing-type motion? BTMRR or EE's anti-roll back clacking sound? It is the full multisensory stimulation that makes WDW attractions so effective.

That fragrance smell at the Norway gift shop makes you like it or feel like passing out. But Geir Ness sometimes makes an apperance!

MickeyLuv'r

Is anyone gonna point out that a lot of the draw of “business travel” is complete stupidity and/or Tom foolery? So it will survive in some form. It was never “all about work”...

I'm thinking of the private suites in Yankee Stadium and the Super Bowl. Sure, it is for play, but it is also the human equivalent to dogs' peeing high on the hydrant.

Hosting a big convention booth is a bit like having a large rack of antlers.

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member
Have you been to WDW?

I have and I get the context of the Parks and the smell of cinnamon rolls I enjoyed wafting down Main Street USA. I know what the parks are doing and still eagerly open my wallet. That being said, the context of my reference was to future leaders approach in relation to business meetings and interactions. While I often enjoy and prefer face to face travel, my two older teen aged children and young adults I work with professionally often prefer their communications/ interactions with those outside their closest circle of friends not be a face to face or voice to voice. Their social lives are not that way but if their relationship with you is utilitarian they are fine never seeing your face or hearing your voice unless absolutely necessary. Even myself, closer to 50 than 40, find I often prefer less personal interactions in business when feasible. I don’t always have time to meet with a sales rep. Sell your product through videos,detailed spec sheets, and access to a sample or a contact where I can see it used. In business, time is money and you often don’t have as much of either as you would like. I don’t treat friends like this but I do treat business like this. Anecdotal examples I admit. Perhaps I didn’t word my original statement and provide context well enough.

ImperfectPixie

I'm thinking of the private suites in Yankee Stadium and the Super Bowl. Sure, it is for play, but it is also the human equivalent to dogs' peeing high on the hydrant.

Hosting a big convention booth is a bit like having a large rack of antlers.
I don't know if they still do, but Canon used to give box-seat Red Sox tickets to clients they were courting. I was a beneficiary through my boss once...it's something I'll never forget!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom