News Walt Disney World renames certain room categories

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
Not sure how widespread this is, but Disney has gone through their room inventory and renamed and recategorized various rooms. For example:
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge "Pool View" rooms are now called "Water View" rooms
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge King Bed rooms are now a bookable category. In the past, you would have booked a standard room and then requested a King bed room, and on occasion parties of 2 would be assigned a king bed whether they asked for one or not.
Cc @lentesta @Kingdom Konsultant

TheMaxRebo

Weird considering this could be construed as viewing some kind of actual body of water. Obviously not confusing for those who know the AK Lodge grounds, but still.

Definitely makes it feel broader .... Though I know at like Port Orleans Riverside they specifically call rooms with a view of the river as River Views which are separate from Pool rooms

Brian

Making a king bed a bookable category is a great step to transparency on the front end.
It will also help tremendously with the guessing game that the back office cast would have to do when assigning rooms. Previously, they would have to put a certain number of parties into a king room each day, and the only way they could be even somewhat sure it's a safe choice is if the party was two adults with Mr. and Mrs. as the prefixes and celebrating an anniversary or honeymoon. Otherwise, it was a gamble, and swaps would have to happen when they inevitably guess wrong and the party of two adults are just friends.

On the flip side, it will also make those same honeymooning guests a lot happier now that they can "guarantee" a king bed.

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
Mr. and Mrs. as the prefixes and celebrating an anniversary or honeymoon.
Niiiiice.

Otherwise, it was a gamble, and swaps would have to happen when they inevitably guess wrong and the party of two adults are just friends.
Interestingly, the standard room still says "two queens or one king" in the description. So you can book a king, but booking a standard doesn't appear to be a guarantee that you don't get a king.

On the flip side, it will also make those same honeymooning guests a lot happier now that they can "guarantee" a king bed.
The real pro move is to have one bed for sleeping and the other one reserved for amorous activities.

Or if you're like me and my lady, one bed for sleeping and the other bed for her to send me to in the middle of the night because I'm snoring and it's keeping her awake.

Brian

Interestingly, the standard room still says "two queens or one king" in the description. So you can book a king, but booking a standard doesn't appear to be a guarantee that you don't get a king.
Technically, they reserve the right to move you to any category at any resort when you book a resort reservation at WDW. So realistically, booking a "resort view" king room doesn't mean you won't get "magically upgraded" to a Savannah view room with two queens. But as you pointed out, it might be a good thing.

DisneyDreamer08

This is the wording from an email I received:

Effective later this month, and including all 2024 reservations, the names of some room categories at Deluxe Resorts will be simplified to be three categories in most cases: resort view, water view, theme park view. This adjustment better enables us to focus on the guest experience at check-in as we assign rooms and prioritize specific requests.

durangojim

The big question is for the rooms that the categories changed, will the new pricing reflect the highest cost prior subcategory, or the lowes. My bet's on the highest which means you'll be paying more money for a potentially poorer view.

Also, does this affect DVC as well?

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
This is the wording from an email I received:

Effective later this month, and including all 2024 reservations, the names of some room categories at Deluxe Resorts will be simplified to be three categories in most cases: resort view, water view, theme park view. This adjustment better enables us to focus on the guest experience at check-in as we assign rooms and prioritize specific requests.
it'll be interesting to see if/how this impacts DVC points - charts are already out for next year however so.... maybe it won't change there?

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
The big question is for the rooms that the categories changed, will the new pricing reflect the highest cost prior subcategory, or the lowes. My bet's on the highest which means you'll be paying more money for a potentially poorer view.
I think it will go both directions. For example, some "lagoon view" rooms might be downgraded to "water view" and get cheaper, closer to pool view, while others might be upgraded to "theme park view" and get more expensive.

I really hate this change. Natural-body-of-water view are some of the quietest rooms on property, while pool view rooms are often the loudest. I would NEVER pay extra for a pool view, I'd actually pay extra to not have it.

it'll be interesting to see if/how this impacts DVC points - charts are already out for next year however so.... maybe it won't change there?
I don't think there's any reason to believe this will affect DVC.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I think it will go both directions. For example, some "lagoon view" rooms might be downgraded to "water view" and get cheaper, closer to pool view, while others might be upgraded to "theme park view" and get more expensive.

I really hate this change. Natural-body-of-water view are some of the quietest rooms on property, while pool view rooms are often the loudest. I would NEVER pay extra for a pool view, I'd actually pay extra to not have it.

I don't think there's any reason to believe this will affect DVC.
Valid concern, I paid for a Lagoon View for our upcoming trip and that is what I expect, I'd be a little upset if I got a pool view though typically if you talk to the check-in cast members, they will accommodate you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom