Walt Disney World Railroad refurbishment - September 28-November 8

Monorail Lime

Original Poster
Got this e-mail today...
Due to unforeseen track maintenance, the Walt Disney World Railroad will be under refurbishment from September 28-November 8. Because of the refurbishment Disney’s Magic Behind Our Steam Trains Tour will be unavailable during that time. We will be fully refunding your tour. We are also offering to book your party complimentary on Disney’s Keys to the Kingdom or Walt Disney: Marceline to Magic Kingdom upon availability. We apologize for any inconvenience or change of plans this may have caused.

Over a month seems like quite a long time for track maintenance. Anyone know what's going on?

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Are they doing overhauls? There was a rumor a little while back that they might replace the steam engines with replicas instead. Hopefully this isn't part of that plan.

IIRC the rumor was the steam drives would be removed and diesel installed. Even if that were the case this time period is not long enough to do that.

Must just be a tune-up then, because there is no way they're overhauling those things in a month.

Plate refurbishment. Some seals. The odds and ends to make them more efficient would be my guess. The controls have gotten very finicky in the last couple years causing a ton of wheel slip. That would be a big focus IMO this time around.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
At the same rate those engines are flat out filthy and it should be embarrassing to even trot them out each day. The aesthetics are in sad state and need work... but modern day TDO I doubt will put attention there.

MaryJaneP

Am I missing something? OP message states unforeseen TRACK maintenance but many posters seem to be suggesting that the real problem is the engines. Does this mean the track is okay? Does this mean the railroad could operate on the existing tracks if operable engines were available to pull the passenger cars around?

lazyboy97o

Am I missing something? OP message states unforeseen TRACK maintenance but many posters seem to be suggesting that the real problem is the engines. Does this mean the track is okay? Does this mean the railroad could operate on the existing tracks if operable engines were available to pull the passenger cars around?
If something suddenly arose with the track would it not make sense to close now instead of nearly three months from now?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If the railroad is down for 5 weeks for track repairs I think I/we were assuming they would take the time to do some needed work on the engines.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Of late it just seems that scheduling of closures has been too tight while scheduling of vacations has been pushed out further and further.
The WDW Railroad went down for a month last fall too. I think the rumor was they were either replacing or repairing a few bridges along the route. Maybe they just didn't finish what they started last year.

roj2323

Got this e-mail today...

Over a month seems like quite a long time for track maintenance. Anyone know what's going on?

Having looked at the track recently it was in horrid condition so I would guess they are replacing the track or at least a good portion of it. The thing is as Rails age they develop micro fishers which can lead to broken rails not to mention they do just wear out. In main line railroads these lead to derailments. Emergency same day or week repairs are not uncommon as well as slow zones. On the WDW MK railroad however the speed is low enough for it to be ok for a while while replacement rail is produced and delivered. Additionally It could just be an issue with having to replace the ties. The ties are 43 years old which is about as long as most ties last.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom