Walt Disney World Park Hours cut starting September 8 2020

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Let him go. It’s actually amusing now. 🙂
I admire the relentless optimism. I actually wish what he is saying would come true. I’d be more than happy to be wrong if it means Penn State football games on Saturdays and fireworks with WDW back to normal crowds in a few weeks or a month. I‘m not happy about any of this, just being realistic. Neither is likely. IMHO the best case scenario is Big Ten football after Thanksgiving when the students are gone and possible bump in crowds at WDW for the holidays. The more likely scenario is both things don’t happen until the spring.

ToTBellHop

I admire the relentless optimism. I actually wish what he is saying would come true. I’d be more than happy to be wrong if it means Penn State football games on Saturdays and fireworks with WDW back to normal crowds in a few weeks or a month. I‘m not happy about any of this, just being realistic. Neither is likely. IMHO the best case scenario is Big Ten football after Thanksgiving when the students are gone and possible bump in crowds at WDW for the holidays. The more likely scenario is both things don’t happen until the spring.
I could see fireworks returning IF DEEMED SAFE during winter since they wouldn’t require late hours. A lot rides on a viable vaccine.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I could see fireworks returning IF DEEMED SAFE during winter since they wouldn’t require late hours. A lot rides on a viable vaccine.
Yeah, the safe part is a high hurdle. It’s a catch 22 situation. With crowds as low as they are right now they could probably do fireworks safely with distancing but the cost is prohibitive. If crowds increase enough to make the finances work the crowds may get too large to do it safely. The last thing they want is a mob gathered shoulder to shoulder on Main Street or in front of the castle for a fireworks show. Tough call for Disney.

ToTBellHop

Yeah, the safe part is a high hurdle. It’s a catch 22 situation. With crowds as low as they are right now they could probably do fireworks safely with distancing but the cost is prohibitive. If crowds increase enough to make the finances work the crowds may get too large to do it safely. The last thing they want is a mob gathered shoulder to shoulder on Main Street or in front of the castle for a fireworks show. Tough call for Disney.
I mean, the call has been made...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Projections first.. perhaps quick "awaking" style shows.
That could work. They could also just run a continuous projection show on loop so there’s no need to “line up” to see it. Either that or random start times vs a set schedule. I think it’s hard to break Disney park fans of the habit of gathering for the night entertainment. It’s in our DNA at this point.

Bob Harlem

The tickets to get in are also expensive and SeaWorld is already doing "light up the sky" with fireworks. There are ways to do it safely, Disney just needs to get in gear and quit making excuses, and have it ready by the Holidays.

All the parks and what they could do:
Magic Kingdom: No Central Castle show, unannounced projections shows or perimeter fireworks that discourage gathering by the castle and encourage spreading out.
Epcot: Easiest to do, use the lagoon, enforce social distancing.
DHS: More difficult to do, at most distant fireworks, no Star Wars show that makes people congregate. Fantasmic, every other row, parties 3 spaces apart, controlled entry.
DAK: Can't do fireworks (animals), so pretty much just tree of life unannounced projections.

Universal: Current nighttime show can't work. Do lagoon wide fireworks, fountains, and lights, maybe projections along the buildings, but nothing to encourage getting put in one spot like it currently does. Or unannounced short shows like they do in the daytime.
Islands of Adventure: Can't do Hogwarts show, they have vast amounts of lagoon viewing areas, so just use the lagoon.
SeaWorld: Already doing it with light up the sky, lagoon wide show enforcing social distancing.
Legoland: Lake Barge fireworks, they already did it for the 4th.
Busch: No fireworks (animals), not much I can think of for here.

Last edited:

legwand77

Not optimistic, just sharing the report that they are looking at it, it is all just various reports. Either way my teams are planning on playing this fall. There were posters that were saying and calling for the MLB to shut down immediately with a few cases on the Marlins a month ago.

Sonconato

The tickets to get in are also expensive and SeaWorld is already doing "light up the sky" with fireworks. There are ways to do it safely, Disney just needs to get in gear and quit making excuses, and have it ready by the Holidays.

All the parks and what they could do:
Magic Kingdom: No Central Castle show, unannounced projections shows or perimeter fireworks that discourage gathering by the castle and encourage spreading out.
Epcot: Easiest to do, use the lagoon, enforce social distancing.
DHS: More difficult to do, at most distant fireworks, no Star Wars show that makes people congregate. Fantasmic, every other row, parties 3 spaces apart, controlled entry.
DAK: Can't do fireworks (animals), so pretty much just tree of life unannounced projections.

Universal: Current nighttime show can't work. Do lagoon wide fireworks, fountains, and lights, maybe projections along the buildings, but nothing to encourage getting put in one spot like it currently does. Or unannounced short shows like they do in the daytime.
Islands of Adventure: Can't do Hogwarts show, they have vast amounts of lagoon viewing areas, so just use the lagoon.
SeaWorld: Already doing it with light up the sky, lagoon wide show enforcing social distancing.
Legoland: Lake Barge fireworks, they already did it for the 4th.
Busch: No fireworks (animals), not much I can think of for here.
I've been going to SeaWorld every week since June 13 and I have enjoyed it immensely. The fireworks have been great also.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not optimistic, just sharing the report that they are looking at it, it is all just various reports. Either way my teams are planning on playing this fall. There were posters that were saying and calling for the MLB to shut down immediately with a few cases on the Marlins a month ago.
When the Big Ten cancelled the fall sports season they said they would be monitoring the situation and if things improved to the point that they felt it was safe they would consider starting the season so it’s not surprising they are looking at it. The Oct 10 date is a rumor that was put out by an ESPN analyst and then the Nebraska AD shot that down. Since Nebraska was the biggest advocate in the Big 10 for playing this fall I don’t see why he’d lie about that. There was also rumor of a plan to play the conference football schedule starting Thanksgiving when all the other students are sent home from the campuses. If they started the weekend before Thanksgiving they could get the 10 games in by the end of January and have a Big 10 championship game.

MLB had a terrible start but it seems like the players realized their mistakes and stopped going to clubs on the road. Hopefully the NFL players see that and follow in their footsteps.

legwand77

When the Big Ten cancelled the fall sports season they said they would be monitoring the situation and if things improved to the point that they felt it was safe they would consider starting the season so it’s not surprising they are looking at it. The Oct 10 date is a rumor that was put out by an ESPN analyst and then the Nebraska AD shot that down. Since Nebraska was the biggest advocate in the Big 10 for playing this fall I don’t see why he’d lie about that. There was also rumor of a plan to play the conference football schedule starting Thanksgiving when all the other students are sent home from the campuses. If they started the weekend before Thanksgiving they could get the 10 games in by the end of January and have a Big 10 championship game.

MLB had a terrible start but it seems like the players realized their mistakes and stopped going to clubs on the road. Hopefully the NFL players see that and follow in their footsteps.
Nice angle

When Big Ten first announced cancelling fall sports, there was no talk of possibility of playing in the fall, spring was iffy.

Then under pressure a week or so later, they stated their reasons, including a now debunked cardiomyopathy study, and saying they are" to plan for the return of fall sports competition as soon as possible. In evaluating winter/spring models, we will explore many factors including the number of football games that can reasonably be played from a health perspective in a full calendar year"

Then this week, rumors go out led by Dan Patrick (former espn anchor, left ESPN 13 years ago) that they are looking at Oct 10th, NB AD says there is nothing to that.

The reason Oct. 10th works is because that is the latest they can start to be in the BCS playoffs.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Nice angle

When Big Ten first announced cancelling fall sports, there was no talk of possibility of playing in the fall, spring was iffy.

Then under pressure a week or so later, they stated their reasons, including a now debunked cardiomyopathy study, and saying they are" to plan for the return of fall sports competition as soon as possible. In evaluating winter/spring models, we will explore many factors including the number of football games that can reasonably be played from a health perspective in a full calendar year"

Then this week, rumors go out led by Dan Patrick (former espn anchor, left ESPN 13 years ago) that they are looking at Oct 10th, NB AD says there is nothing to that.

The reason Oct. 10th works is because that is the latest they can start to be in the BCS playoffs.
I know you just like to argue over nonsense so this is the last I’ll say on this. The Big Ten always said the fall sports season was postponed and not cancelled. They targeted the Spring but there were several plans thrown around for Football only to start in dome stadiums in January or possibly start around Thanksgiving when the students leave campus, mostly due to the NFL draft and players not wanting to play in the Spring. The reason Oct 10 was rumored is to get the season in before bowl time but there has been nobody within the Big Ten that has said that’s even on the table. It’s just someone in the media jumping to the conclusion that if they can start in November why not October.

legwand77

The title of the show they are testing is "Minnie's Wonderful Christmastime Fireworks" ;)

Also no need to test fireworks, needed to test projections as the castle colors have changed since the last show.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom