Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

pdude81

I TOTALLY forgot about race retreat!! Is that concept dead now? It would be a Godsend for Dopey in 2023
I emailed them through the form yesterday, so hopefully there will be a response sometime today or tomorrow. I assume the guardians building changed layout at the start but that doesn't mean there aren't a few parking lots they don't really need in January. It can be revisited.

pdude81

For Marathon Weekend, do you think it’s better to submit a Marathon PoT that is slightly under 4hrs, or a Half PoT that is well under 2hours??
It would depend on how far under the 2 hours would be. They do look at conversions. But if all you care about is being in a corral under 4 hours, then the marathon basically guarantees it. To me 1:50 half is a better time than 3:59 full, but I think to them you're in the same corral.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I emailed them through the form yesterday, so hopefully there will be a response sometime today or tomorrow. I assume the guardians building changed layout at the start but that doesn't mean there aren't a few parking lots they don't really need in January. It can be revisited.

But wasn't that building under construction in 2019?

Rteetz

That's a good point. They should have at least had the frame up by January. There is hope yet!
Its the future world and entrance work that changed the courses in 2020 not guardians. We run under the guardians launch tunnel in 2020. I think the whole race retreat thing may be dead. Runners square could come back but again I don't know. Neither of them ever seemed worth it. I would rather congregate, meet with friends, experience everything than hide out in a tent or something. Just my take.

OG Runner

Here is the response I received. About as informative as usual:

"Future events for the race retreat have not been announced.
For further information, please look for updates on our social media platforms."

Considering how close it was to the Marathon, before they actually showed the course in 2020, I am not really surprised.
I really wish Disney understood some people enjoy a consistent experience. For me, I liked the course in 2014, because
in 2015 I felt more comfortable really knowing where I was. I know there are mile markers but there is a feeling. I would
think, for many, it would be the same with the comfort of having the race retreats there.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
I was notified late last night that the charity I wanted to run the Marathon for was going live with registrations sometime today. They went live slightly before noon for sign-up, as all those who were interested were emailed as it went live.
runDisney still doesn't have any charities listed or links to any of the charities on their website.
When I registered for the Marathon their count showed 42 bibs for each race during each race weekend (excluding Spring surprise, which they will have bibs at a later time).
So yeah, I'm signed up for the Marathon and hopefully come Tuesday I'll be able to sign up for the 10k too!

Figment82

I was notified late last night that the charity I wanted to run the Marathon for was going live with registrations sometime today. They went live slightly before noon for sign-up, as all those who were interested were emailed as it went live.
runDisney still doesn't have any charities listed or links to any of the charities on their website.
When I registered for the Marathon their count showed 42 bibs for each race during each race weekend (excluding Spring surprise, which they will have bibs at a later time).
So yeah, I'm signed up for the Marathon and hopefully come Tuesday I'll be able to sign up for the 10k too!
That’s awesome! Congrats! The charity that I was interested in also sent out communication that they had bibs available, so I’m in for the Half! I’ve never run a rD race for charity before - but I’m excited to finally make it happen! Also relieved that I’ll be able to avoid the potential crazy of Tuesday.

dreamfinder

For those of you who have confirmed with charities, can you post what charities they are? And did they have a virtual option available? The ones I would normally expect to have information don't seem to have anything publicly available yet.

Figment82

For those of you who have confirmed with charities, can you post what charities they are? And did they have a virtual option available? The ones I would normally expect to have information don't seem to have anything publicly available yet.
GKTW, and I didn’t see any mention of a virtual option - it looked like there was only a fundraising opportunity if you wanted to donate, but didn’t want/need a bib.

Last edited:

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
American Cancer Society, also didn't notice any virtual bibs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom