Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

pdude81

I haven’t seen anything, but if they brought Runner’s Square back like they did in 2020, it wasn’t really worth it. It was open air and placed in an inconvenient location. Also, the “short cut” to the corrals wasn’t really noticeably shorter unless you were in the first couple of corrals and they didn’t seem to actually go early because there was already easily a few hundred from the regular area in my corral by the time I got there using the “early access” perk. The photographers didn’t seem to be available much either beyond volunteers coordinating cell phone pics, the one from an official photographer I remember getting, he told me he was making an exception and had to do it quick so a line didn’t form. Although you do get a small towel, a rice krispy treat, and fruit and bottled beverages!
Ah, that's a bummer. I think I did it both for 18 and 19 and it was a closed tent that was definitely heated the year it was freezing, and seemed cooled the next year when it was hot. After the race they had eggs and potatoes and stuff too, plus a small bar as well as the usual sodas and fruit drinks. And it seemed like a lot of people, so I figured it made decent money. Being able to get my gear bag and sit in a chair with a beer and some eggs was a nice option. I wonder if they had to switch it up in 2020 due to Guardians construction. IIRC they used to send us up that way to get around to where the bag drop and race retreat were... closish to the finish but not a convenient walk in those years since they made you go out a different way. Some combination of the big blue building messing with race retreat and the spine construction detouring the finish perhaps?

Now in reviewing the maps it looks like they really changed things up in 2020. They had you running around and through Epcot early to make up some miles they didn't have you doing later in switchbacks and WWoS, although you did end up going through Blizzard Beach. I'm guessing some of this had to do with construction either at Epcot where they normally had the big tents set up or for roads/bridges that they had to put you on a different route. Maybe they did it all on purpose but hopefully they just put it back. IMO running around WWoS was kind of fun and went by in a flash. So I don't see what the problem was there unless it had more to do with the blue monster than anything else.

surfsupdon

There is so much discussion here and on fbook about PoT.

My one question- can’t I use my W&D 2019 as my PoT for both the W&D and Marathon Weekend??? Is that a certified course (I’ve used rD courses before). Thanks for clarifying! I hope I can use it bc I had a great time!!

pdude81

My one question- can’t I use my W&D 2019 as my PoT for both the W&D and Marathon Weekend??? Is that a certified course (I’ve used rD courses before). Thanks for clarifying! I hope I can use it bc I had a great time!!
If the time was for the half then you absolutely can use it for both.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Is the USATF certification a new requirement? Like someone mentioned, it's a bit harder for runners abroad to run on such courses.

Only, I believe, to make sure the course is the stated distance. For those major marathons, like Boston, that require you to QUALIFY to get a bib, you need to run on an USATF certified course.

LAKid53

Premium Member

One would think a PoT from a prior rD race would be a valid PoT for an upcoming rD race.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Ah, that's a bummer. I think I did it both for 18 and 19 and it was a closed tent that was definitely heated the year it was freezing, and seemed cooled the next year when it was hot. After the race they had eggs and potatoes and stuff too, plus a small bar as well as the usual sodas and fruit drinks. And it seemed like a lot of people, so I figured it made decent money. Being able to get my gear bag and sit in a chair with a beer and some eggs was a nice option. I wonder if they had to switch it up in 2020 due to Guardians construction. IIRC they used to send us up that way to get around to where the bag drop and race retreat were... closish to the finish but not a convenient walk in those years since they made you go out a different way. Some combination of the big blue building messing with race retreat and the spine construction detouring the finish perhaps?

Now in reviewing the maps it looks like they really changed things up in 2020. They had you running around and through Epcot early to make up some miles they didn't have you doing later in switchbacks and WWoS, although you did end up going through Blizzard Beach. I'm guessing some of this had to do with construction either at Epcot where they normally had the big tents set up or for roads/bridges that they had to put you on a different route. Maybe they did it all on purpose but hopefully they just put it back. IMO running around WWoS was kind of fun and went by in a flash. So I don't see what the problem was there unless it had more to do with the blue monster than anything else.
There was a small cash bar to pay for beer and I think a limited mixed drink selection if remember right.

Here's the breakfast buffet from Marathon 2020:
IMG_8156.JPG

Drink stations:
IMG_8346.JPG

IMG_8345.JPG

Seating area:
IMG_8153.JPG

Photo area (cell phone photos only, no photopass):
IMG_8149.JPG

LAKid53

Premium Member
There was a small cash bar to pay for beer and I think a limited mixed drink selection if remember right.

View attachment 573782
Drink stations:
View attachment 573787
View attachment 573788
Seating area:
View attachment 573783

View attachment 573785

I'm sorry. Runner's Square was NOT an adequate substitute for the race retreat offered during both Marathon and Princess weekends. That heated/air conditioned tent was a godsend. Along with a changing area, better port-a-potties and a stretching area. And both pre- and post-race food and beverages. Including chocolate milk.

Demarke

Premium Member

Yep, all the Disney World runDisney events are USATF certified. You can look them (or any other races) up on https://certifiedroadraces.com/search/ I think Toni Youngman typically measures for Disney so you can look up that name or search for races in Lake Buena Vista. But they're all certified and capable for use as Boston qualifiers and such. Certifications last for 10 years I believe, so the course may use a prior year's certification if the route hasn't changed.

Last edited:

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
Yep, all the runDisney events are USATF certified. You can look them up on https://certifiedroadraces.com/search/ I think Toni Youngman typically measures them so you can look up that name or for races in Lake Buena Vista. But they're all certified and capable for use as Boston qualifiers and such.
I was gonna share the link too for USATF races... Super easy to look up.
I'm sorry. Runner's Square was NOT an adequate substitute for the race retreat offered during both Marathon and Princess weekends. That heated/air conditioned tent was a godsend. Along with a changing area, better port-a-potties and a stretching area. And both pre- and post-race food and beverages. Including chocolate milk.
For the 5K & Half Marathon on Princess Weekend I enjoyed the perks of Runner's Square, especially no lines for the potties. The heated tent would've been a nice treat instead of the the few heaters they had we all were trying to get heat from... But I enjoyed the perk of being in the front of the coral, so I'll do it again if they offer it.

pdude81

View attachment 573782
Drink stations:
View attachment 573787
View attachment 573788
Seating area:
View attachment 573783

View attachment 573785
I hope that cost a lot less than the ransom for the race retreat in prior years. Better than nothing for sure though

OG Runner

Still no update on PoT and early registration starts tomorrow. This is rather curious. I'm wondering if it will be soft of a half-measure. Instead of dropping down to something like 4 hour marathon time, they go to 4:30, which tracks closer to the 2 hour half requirement for Wine and Dine.

POT is only needed if you want to be in a corral, based on finishing in four hours or less.

Demarke

Premium Member
Totally agree!
3EB2F7A2-C280-4CE5-97E1-7C83402A7B32.jpeg

😁

RunningKoen

Well, IF i'm gonna run, the best strategy looks like I'll try a 3:59 time and submit a PoT around (most likely slightly above) that and see what happens. I have both WDW and Paris HM's from runDisney 2019 with a decent time.

Or: Last corral and starting last could be fun aswell. :) Options enough.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Well, IF i'm gonna run, the best strategy looks like I'll try a 3:59 time and submit a PoT around (most likely slightly above) that and see what happens. I have both WDW and Paris HM's from runDisney 2019 with a decent time.

Or: Last corral and starting last could be fun aswell. :) Options enough.

So you'll be doing Marathon weekend? Yay!!!!!

Make sure to wave as you pass me. 👋

OG Runner

Ok good. Thanks for the help and confirmation. Hoping I can still manage a good coral for the races aka A!

I am wondering how they are going to be handling corralling the rest of us. It has been a while since
I have run a 4 hour marathon, and the times I have run the Disney Marathon, I have always had a lot
of friends around me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom