Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Schema

Yeah, it is the banking part that makes me nervous. Hopefully, DVC is understanding and allows the points to be banked beyond the traditional window should the event be cancelled after the banking window is closed.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Yeah, it is the banking part that makes me nervous. Hopefully, DVC is understanding and allows the points to be banked beyond the traditional window should the event be cancelled after the banking window is closed.

I shortened my trip when W&D was moved to virtual. Had borrowed points. DVC didn't have a problem returning the borrowed points back to their use year.

Just ask.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
While I understand all of the measures, I hope that races will find an alternative to giving out finisher medals with the race packets (I’ll admit, I can’t think of a good alternative unless the post race food can come in a bag of some sort, but it is also early morning for me right now and my brain is not yet fully functioning 😉)

PJBuckeye

In the Parks
Yes
Space Coast Marathon received approval to go ahead with their event at the end of November! They just shared their safety protocols, and I thought it might be helpful to see how Running Zone is handling the details:

Space Coast Marathon Safety Protocols

It also appears that I’ll need to invest in a new running belt to carry my own water and sports drink. 🙁

The lack of on course water is scary. I think not having high availability of water does more harm than good. The more I think about this, it is actually incompetent.

Figment82

The lack of on course water is scary. I think not having high availability of water does more harm than good. The more I think about this, it is actually incompetent.
They’re offering bottled water/sports drink on the course. I just don’t want to deal with a large bottle, plus the waste of the plastic. They aren’t offering open cups and are reducing the amount of stations.

Don’t worry, these guys have been managing the Space Coast Marathon for almost 50 years. They know what they’re doing and are far from incompetent. 😊 A lot of races in more rural settings don’t offer on-course fluids - the Big Sur Marathon comes to mind. You have to bring your own regardless.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
A lot of races in more rural settings don’t offer on-course fluids - the Big Sur Marathon comes to mind. You have to bring your own regardless.

This. I have volunteered at races that try to be ecologically conscious, and you need to bring your own cup or bottle, which would get filled by the volunteers.

And I agree with you about not wanting to carry a large plastic bottle, but hopefully they will use small ones and will have plenty of recycling bins available on the course.

dreamfinder

If they made this switch at the last moment, then yeah, I'd agree with incompetence. But making it public well in advance of the event is the smart thing to do. I'd usually recommend that someone run with whatever they need to begin with, and not rely on the event organizers providing what you may need on course. This was evident a few years ago when one of the WDW events was held on an excessively hot day, and they started running out of water for the slower runners. Yes, the organizers plan ahead as best they can, but some times things are beyond their control.

And in their case, offering bottles every 2 miles should be more than sufficient. I'd still say carry my own, and then use theirs as the primary, to supplement with my own.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Space Coast Marathon received approval to go ahead with their event at the end of November! They just shared their safety protocols, and I thought it might be helpful to see how Running Zone is handling the details:

Space Coast Marathon Safety Protocols

It also appears that I’ll need to invest in a new running belt to carry my own water and sports drink. 🙁

Why not get a hydration vest? I love my CamelBak because it has lots of pockets on the front to store phone, ID, gels, chews, hand sanitizer wipes, lip balm. Doesn't bounce, stores up to 1.5 liters of water. I also have a Nathan handheld that I fill with water and a hydration powder...I dislike the taste of Powerade/Gatorade.

If runDisney provides hydration in the form of individual bottles, hopefully they will be the small ones.

Figment82

Why not get a hydration vest? I love my CamelBak because it has lots of pockets on the front to store phone, ID, gels, chews, hand sanitizer wipes, lip balm. Doesn't bounce, stores up to 1.5 liters of water. I also have a Nathan handheld that I fill with water and a hydration powder...I dislike the taste of Powerade/Gatorade.

If runDisney provides hydration in the form of individual bottles, hopefully they will be the small ones.
I might look into a vest. I’m not the biggest fan of things on my arms/shoulders when I run (I know, I’m weird! 😊), but I’m thinking it would distribute the weight better. And the idea of lots of storage is great! Do you find it gets too warm in Florida weather?

I usually stick with Gatorade since the carb count is pretty high. I only use sports drinks and energy gels to bump up my blood sugar when it starts to drop. Are the hydration powders pretty good carb-wise? I’ve been thinking about trying nuun but they only have like 2g which won’t do me much good! 😂

LAKid53

Premium Member
I might look into a vest. I’m not the biggest fan of things on my arms/shoulders when I run (I know, I’m weird! 😊), but I’m thinking it would distribute the weight better. And the idea of lots of storage is great! Do you find it gets too warm in Florida weather?

I usually stick with Gatorade since the carb count is pretty high. I only use sports drinks and energy gels to bump up my blood sugar when it starts to drop. Are the hydration powders pretty good carb-wise? I’ve been thinking about trying nuun but they only have like 2g which won’t do me much good! 😂

I was worried about something on my shoulders as racer back sports bras aren't comfortable for me, but I've got no issues with my hydration vest, even when fully loaded. Just don't overfill the bladder like I did once - missed the fill lines, lol.

I was concerned about having a pack on my back while running in the Florida heat, but it's not an issue. I fill my bladder the night before and store it in the fridge. Most vests are predominantly mesh, so they breath well.

Liquid IV has 11g of carbs, but it's also the highest in sugar and some complain about a salty taste. The top 3 brands of electrolyte supplements are Nuun, Hydrant and Liquid IV. I've tried them all. Didn't care for the taste of Nuun, really like Hydrant's Lemon Ice Tea and Raspberry Lemonade flavors and Liquid IV Lemon Lime.

I just gag on both Gatorade and Powerade, so I use my powders. I have one in my vest to dump in the bottle of water runDisney has at the finish line.

Here's a good article the compares all three. Costco now sells Liquid IV, both the hydration and energy powders. I really think it's down to preference.

Figment82

I was worried about something on my shoulders as racer back sports bras aren't comfortable for me, but I've got no issues with my hydration vest, even when fully loaded. Just don't overfill the bladder like I did once - missed the fill lines, lol.

I was concerned about having a pack on my back while running in the Florida heat, but it's not an issue. I fill my bladder the night before and store it in the fridge. Most vests are predominantly mesh, so they breath well.

Liquid IV has 11g of carbs, but it's also the highest in sugar and some complain about a salty taste. The top 3 brands of electrolyte supplements are Nuun, Hydrant and Liquid IV. I've tried them all. Didn't care for the taste of Nuun, really like Hydrant's Lemon Ice Tea and Raspberry Lemonade flavors and Liquid IV Lemon Lime.

I just gag on both Gatorade and Powerade, so I use my powders. I have one in my vest to dump in the bottle of water runDisney has at the finish line.

Here's a good article the compares all three. Costco now sells Liquid IV, both the hydration and energy powders. I really think it's down to preference.

This is extremely helpful, thank you so much! It’s great to know the pack isn’t bothersome. Honestly, my running belt was annoying me this evening, with only my phone, so I’m definitely open to trying something different.

LAKid53

Premium Member
This is extremely helpful, thank you so much! It’s great to know the pack isn’t bothersome. Honestly, my running belt was annoying me this evening, with only my phone, so I’m definitely open to trying something different.

I have one of the Fitletics mini belts I use on short runs around the neighborhood. Mainly to hold my phone, iPod nano and my house key. Also have a Brita sports bottle that I slip a bottle band on for hydration in this lovely Florida climate. Would only use my hydration vest for distances longer than a 10k and not near home, like running on a county trail a few miles south...there's a bathroom at the trail head and one at the sports complex it passes.

Chomama

After years of reading these forums I just now discovered the running one! 🤦🏼‍♀️ Excited!!! Anyway, to answer your questions
- I use a Nathan vest and love it. I am in Alabama so pretty hot and humid here too. I actually prefer it to my handheld Nathan, which I also love, bc it doesn’t slip in my hands when I get sweaty
- per my sports nutritionist the best powder to mix in water is Skratch. It’s engineered for endurance athletes and the perfect balance of electrolytes and carbs. I have started using that and supplementing with skratch chews every 20-30 mins. Have stopped hitting the wall and no gut bombs!
- the vest doesn’t bother me and I expected it would. I did have to play around with the straps to get the right fit. They make one for women that is made to fit different body types.

Love running so happy to answer more questions!

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
After years of reading these forums I just now discovered the running one! 🤦🏼‍♀️ Excited!!! Anyway, to answer your questions
- I use a Nathan vest and love it. I am in Alabama so pretty hot and humid here too. I actually prefer it to my handheld Nathan, which I also love, bc it doesn’t slip in my hands when I get sweaty
- per my sports nutritionist the best powder to mix in water is Skratch. It’s engineered for endurance athletes and the perfect balance of electrolytes and carbs. I have started using that and supplementing with skratch chews every 20-30 mins. Have stopped hitting the wall and no gut bombs!
- the vest doesn’t bother me and I expected it would. I did have to play around with the straps to get the right fit. They make one for women that is made to fit different body types.

Love running so happy to answer more questions!

Welcome to the running sub-forum!

UKDisDad

Based on timelines for last year we should have already had the medal announcement and seen postings for volentEARS and medical staff for the Marathon Weekend races, I know they REALLY limited registration for Dopey this year but I wondered if any of our insiders had heard any race go/no go rumblings.

This thread has NOTHING to do with the fact that if it’s cancelled, I can stop training and rewatch Gravity Falls on Disney+ instead.

the.dreamfinder

Based on timelines for last year we should have already had the medal announcement and seen postings for volentEARS and medical staff for the Marathon Weekend races, I know they REALLY limited registration for Dopey this year but I wondered if any of our insiders had heard any race go/no go rumblings.

This thread has NOTHING to do with the fact that if it’s cancelled, I can stop training and rewatch Gravity Falls on Disney+ instead.
If it’s cancelled, they’ll do a virtual. Then you can run your race on your treadmill AND watch Gravity Falls.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom