Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Figment82

I saw lots of complaints on RunDisney’s FB page, but nothing is more important than the safety of all the participants. No matter what they ended up doing, it would have been the wrong decision in someone’s eyes (just like when they cut the W&D course or cancelled the WDW Half). I think some forget how quickly a problem can arise - I know all too well how fast your blood sugar can drop.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
I saw lots of complaints on RunDisney’s FB page, but nothing is more important than the safety of all the participants. No matter what they ended up doing, it would have been the wrong decision in someone’s eyes (just like when they cut the W&D course or cancelled the WDW Half). I think some forget how quickly a problem can arise - I know all too well how fast your blood sugar can drop.
Absolutely, aside from standard folks getting medical treatment, I was in about a six hour finish groove today and saw two people on the course that appeared to be out cold and several others being attended to on the side of the course. One was getting loaded into an ambulance just shy of mile 13 and another a bit before Blizzard Beach that was being attended to by a trooper while waiting on the medics. A lot of folks looking increasingly unsteady on their feet the last 2-3 miles too. I imagine it was only getting worse for those more on pace for the 6.5-7+ hour finishes.

I’m happy I was far enough along to not get the shortened course, but I think it was unquestionably the right call to shorten it when they did.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
How many miles did runDisney cut off the Marathon?

Agree, safety of the runners (and volunteers) is the most important thing.

Congrats to everyone. Wanted to be there, but I was in bed last week with the flu. Was going to drive down Saturday, just so I could pick up the items I pre-ordered (no way I was going to try a Half in both the heat/humidity and still kinda blah after the flu), but I got a stomach bug early Saturday AM. Wasn't my year. ☹️

Great job, @surfsupdon, especially given the weather conditions.

I hear registration for W&D opens soon.

dreamfinder

Sounds like Sunday was interesting. It's not the first time they have delayed the start of a race due to people not being able to get there in time. And while red flag races are never fun, I can't believe people were complaining that they shortened the course. I've done a full under red flags, that verged on black flag, and would never dream of questioning the race directors judgement in that situation.

Qscout

In response to the delayed start, I'm waiting for the announcement of, for just $100 you can by a pass to use the preferential driving lane to the start area car park.

On a 2nd note, all reports I've read it sounded brutal. Big well done to all who completed and best wishes to all who DNF'd for whatever reason.

lukacseven

2007 was a hot one as well. I recall sweating on the walk to the start & the temp was 80 degrees in the morning. Got up to 89 in the afternoon, but no course modifications, just warnings posted at the expo & email regarding proper hydration.

surfsupdon

The delayed start wasn’t a big deal. But, logistically, figure it out so you don’t have a delay!
Event buses should have a dedicated World Drive and Beuna Vista lane. That’s where the clogs always are.

Was a really great weekend tho.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
around 1.5M was cut. Saves quite a bit for the people in the end of the race.

About W&D opening soon: might be my go to race for 2020
Does anybody know how they factored that into finish rankings? Do the people that shaved 25-30 minutes off at their pace end up leapfrogging the people that finished just ahead of them that ran the entire course? Just curious because I like to look at different metrics to gauge how I did and didn’t know how reliable these rankings ended up being for the last 2/3 or so of the runners.

WDW_Emily

Does anybody know how they factored that into finish rankings? Do the people that shaved 25-30 minutes off at their pace end up leapfrogging the people that finished just ahead of them that ran the entire course? Just curious because I like to look at different metrics to gauge how I did and didn’t know how reliable these rankings ended up being for the last 2/3 or so of the runners.
My guess is it looks like they ran the 1.5ish miles that were cut even if they didn't since there was no tracker in that area. I had a friend running the marathon and was pacing around 15-16 minutes per mile at the 20 mile mark then it jumped to 12 minute pace by the end (he was part of the BB cut)

Congrats to everyone who finished. And congrats to all the people who trained hard and the heat got the best of you. You are still awesome.

Katherine

Congrats to everyone that ran this weekend. I was happy to complete my 10th WDW Marathon (7th Dopey) & whoa man was that brutal. I wasn’t planning to race the marathon (sort of raced the half though!) but it was just hard.
Also, for all the repeat WDW Marathon Weekenders, did the logistics just feel a little off to you? I felt like they just weren’t on the ball compared to past years. The bag security lines were long, the traffic was bad, and the pre-race & walk you the corrals felt more crowded even though there were less runners than in years past. Just some quick thoughts. Still always a great time!

surfsupdon

Congrats to everyone that ran this weekend. I was happy to complete my 10th WDW Marathon (7th Dopey) & whoa man was that brutal. I wasn’t planning to race the marathon (sort of raced the half though!) but it was just hard.
Also, for all the repeat WDW Marathon Weekenders, did the logistics just feel a little off to you? I felt like they just weren’t on the ball compared to past years. The bag security lines were long, the traffic was bad, and the pre-race & walk you the corrals felt more crowded even though there were less runners than in years past. Just some quick thoughts. Still always a great time!
Congrats to you! What a fun weekend indeed!

Coming from AKL, we did not hit any traffic. I was pleased because I read some bad reports. Last year from BoardWalk, and then OKW the year prior, traffic on Beuna Vista to get to World was horrible. The OKW year I almost missed Corral A's start (I had to jog to my Corral A).

Bag check was quite a long line THIS YEAR...I did feel more security was needed to expedite runners. I enjoyed the new course, but still miss running down Hollywood Blvd.

Figment82

I definitely felt like the walk-out to the corrals for the half was more crowded/less organized this year. I tend to hang back and use the porta potties many (many 😂) times, so I’m always towards the back of F.

This time, the line just to enter the corral was absolutely nuts. A secondary line formed, and I have to give the volunteers major credit for trying to keep things in order. They held one line while the other went, and were adamant about checking bibs. I overheard a large group discussing how the volunteers were actually looking at corral assignments, and decided to go back to their correct one (H). 🙄 I was far from the last person to enter, and they were already walking our corral up to the start. There was still a steady stream of people coming in from Woodpecker Lane.

And it took my bus over 45 minutes from SSR to Epcot. Way longer than normal. It was practically a standstill on BVD. The merge onto World Dr desperately needs an officer or something to help direct the flow better.

Greenlawler

Well I finished, it was my worst race ever but it's over.

surfsupdon we were at AKL too....

I got interviewed twice pre races, anyone see me lol....with my Titans gear?

Update on my injury....My foot doctor basically told me all I could do was either skip it or limp through it....I chose the later. I did manage to run most of the 5, 10 and half but I walked a lot of the full....a lot.

Not only was it hot, not only did I fight through the bad case of plantar fasciitis. I came down with a weird 12 hour virus and was shaking in bed with a fever after the 10k. I had no clue if I was going to be able to run. I was not about to spread a fever to other runners. Before anyone gets mad at me....I did not feel great but had no idea I was sick until about mile 6 of the 10k. I called my Doc and he told me what to do, it worked, and he cleared me.

Anyways that marathon was indeed brutal. I did like the new course.

I liked getting to MK and feeling like we were halfway done, that was cool.

I did not like running past the wave pool at BB....I wanted in that water so bad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom