Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

dreamfinder

I am in for Dopey. I am flying in Wednesday night, after the expo is closed, so I will be relying on runDisney to have a bib pickup at the start of the 5K. Which I know they have done in the past because I have seen it first hand. Here's hoping.

I've seen it as well despite it not being officially listed anywhere. No idea if they do both 5k and Dopey bibs or just 5k though. Hope you are going to be lucky.

Texas84

I've seen it as well despite it not being officially listed anywhere. No idea if they do both 5k and Dopey bibs or just 5k though. Hope you are going to be lucky.

2015 & 2016 it was two bibs, 5K/10K and half/full. Didn't run in 2017 so don't know if it changed.

surfsupdon

My fellow teacher friends have done this before- picked up their Dopey bib on 5K morning. I just hope the tradition continues. Unlike students, us teachers can't take so many days off right out of Christmas Break lol.

lukacseven

So...now I'm curious if the marathon course can/will be modified to run through Pandora. Maybe cut out the stupid out and back in the AK backstage area and loop through the new portion of the park somehow.

Jamie J

No DVC available for the weekend on Friday. runDisney is obviously dead. ;)
This is the worst experience I have ever had trying to book. Booked at 7 months last year and didn't have any issues getting a 2 bedroom at OKW. Was able to book my first 3 days on the 2nd but because the same resort wasn't available the whole week (although 2 others were available), I had to wait til today to get the 4 remaining days.

Literally clicked on the link at 7:59:59 and the 4 days came up at 2 resorts. Then when I clicked BOOK THIS RESORT, I got thrown back to the screen and Friday was no longer available.

Sorry for the rant, but this is extremely frustrating!

wdwjmp239

This is the worst experience I have ever had trying to book. Booked at 7 months last year and didn't have any issues getting a 2 bedroom at OKW. Was able to book my first 3 days on the 2nd but because the same resort wasn't available the whole week (although 2 others were available), I had to wait til today to get the 4 remaining days.

Literally clicked on the link at 7:59:59 and the 4 days came up at 2 resorts. Then when I clicked BOOK THIS RESORT, I got thrown back to the screen and Friday was no longer available.

Sorry for the rant, but this is extremely frustrating!

Isn't this year the 25th anniversary of the WDW Marathon? I wonder if that has anything with the fact that you're not able to get a room? I booked my room when registration opened up so I was one of the fortunate ones. Good luck! Try putting yourself on a waitlist (if you're a DVC member). Chances are someone will cancel. My family and I capitalized on a waitlist opportunity last year where we originally had reservations at Saratoga Springs, but wanted Bay Lake Tower. About three weeks before we left for Disney, someone canceled a Bay Lake Tower reservation and we got in. Let's just say we got lucky! :D

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Isn't this year the 25th anniversary of the WDW Marathon? I wonder if that has anything with the fact that you're not able to get a room? I booked my room when registration opened up so I was one of the fortunate ones. Good luck! Try putting yourself on a waitlist (if you're a DVC member). Chances are someone will cancel. My family and I capitalized on a waitlist opportunity last year where we originally had reservations at Saratoga Springs, but wanted Bay Lake Tower. About three weeks before we left for Disney, someone canceled a Bay Lake Tower reservation and we got in. Let's just say we got lucky! :D

As soon as Active confirms my registration I book, provided I'm not outside the 11 month window....runDisney did, after all, move up opening day for registrations.

Jamie J

Was able to get the last 3 days in DVC, but ended up having to pay "cash" for Saturday night and waitlisted it (crossing my fingers). At least we do not have to switch resorts mid stay now after the 1/2 marathon.

dreamfinder

It is the 25th anniversary, but DVC has been booking up for the last few years. The issue becomes is that just one or two of the nights sell out for DVC, causing booking the whole duration to be problematic. I think 5 years ago I was able to book something 3-4 weeks out for a family member, and 3 years ago it needed to be done at 7 months out, and the last 2 years haven't been able to get anything within the 7 months. Some of it also has to do when the school breaks fall. Some years schools still have the week leading up to the marathon off, so you have normal vacationers overlapping with runners. I can't recall if that is the case this year. And remember, Goofy and the Marathon are both still open for registration.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I think DVC in general has become very popular. Otherwise, why would they have converted three Long Houses at Poly and an entire wing of WL from cash rooms to DVC? And build another new resort at an existing DVC property? Obviously there's demand for those types of rooms, especially for families. And now Disney Travel and DVC are competing with third parties, like Dave's, for rooms.

I'd be hard pressed to go back to a regular cash room, even at a deluxe. I'd only do that if there were absolutely no DVC rooms available, period, either through points, a DVC cash reservation or Disney Travel. Especially if I was traveling due to a race weekend. I've gotten that spoiled, I guess.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
What would be the latest someone would finish the 5 km even if they started in the last corral? I'm trying to plan an ADR for my brother-in-law to join us for breakfast.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
@LAKid53 - I've finally booked my flight for the WDW Marathon weekend so I'd say i've finally committed to the Castle to Chateau challenge in 2018 ... so I'll be waiting for you at DLP in September 2018 :joyfull:

LAKid53

Premium Member
What would be the latest someone would finish the 5 km even if they started in the last corral? I'm trying to plan an ADR for my brother-in-law to join us for breakfast.

That's going to depend on the number of corrals. I was in Corral D (middle of the corrals) for the Princess 5k and I started around 6:30. Due to the number of runners, the corrals at WDW are started in segments (corral D section 1, corral D, section 2, etc.). I would estimate it take 5-7 minutes per corral.

Hope this helps.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Thanks @LAKid53. It sounds like at the very worst we'd be starting around 7:30, so having breakfast in Epcot around 9:00 would be feasible.

I would think no later than 7:00. Don't think there will be as many runners as the Princess, even though it's the 25th anniversary.

I would pack a change of clothes, shoes and maybe some body wipes in the gear bag you'll get at the Expo and check it in the morning of the race.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom