Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

faw286570

You can count on a half marathon Volunteer Event report. When it opened up as an option, it looked like a great way to see a new side to the event. I know I appreciated all the volunteers cheering us on at the 2011 races - and see it as a way to cheer others on - in the middle of the course! And thanks for the well wishing for the race! I hope your next runs go as you wish as well!

Texas84

You can count on a half marathon Volunteer Event report. When it opened up as an option, it looked like a great way to see a new side to the event. I know I appreciated all the volunteers cheering us on at the 2011 races - and see it as a way to cheer others on - in the middle of the course! And thanks for the well wishing for the race! I hope your next runs go as you wish as well!

I need to get off my lazy duff and do that. I'll check it out. Thanks!

Ariel484

Very nice, thanks! If my schedule ever allows I would LOVE to do this. I agree with you that the Disney racing volunteers I have encountered are fabulous.

Thanks for the well wishes on the future runs...I need it! :lol: :lookaroun

faw286570

If anyone is interested in volunteering at the Expo or 5K races...

Earlier today, there appeared to be volunteer spots still available at the Expo Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, as well as at the 5K races on Friday morning.

From the main WWOS Disney Marathon event page, select Events, then select Volunteer for an Event to get to the registration page.

Looks like volunteering at the Half Marathon and Full Marathon events are full so you have to sign up on the waitlist.

Ariel484

If anyone is interested in volunteering at the Expo or 5K races...

Earlier today, there appeared to be volunteer spots still available at the Expo Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, as well as at the 5K races on Friday morning.

From the main WWOS Disney Marathon event page, select Events, then select Volunteer for an Event to get to the registration page.

Looks like volunteering at the Half Marathon and Full Marathon events are full so you have to sign up on the waitlist.

I would love to volunteer for the 5K...unfortunately with my husband's work schedule we won't be flying in until Friday night that weekend, so I can't do it. Maybe someday!

Mad Stitch

I just signed up for the half marathon. This will be my first one! The only other race I have ever done was the Expedition Everest Challenge this past May. I run about 3 miles per day currently so it's time to find a training plan and get to work.

Katherine

Quick question, I ran the marathon last year but can't remember, were there PhotoPass photographers last year along the course or only the photographers from the company they bring in? Thanks!:wave:

Mad Stitch, if you are looking for a training plan I really like using Hal Higdon's. Here's a link: http://www.halhigdon.com/ he has a bunch of plans for different levels of running. Hope this helps! I've completed 3 halfs and 1 full marathon and his plans fit my running style.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Quick question, I ran the marathon last year but can't remember, were there PhotoPass photographers last year along the course or only the photographers from the company they bring in? Thanks!:wave:

Mad Stitch, if you are looking for a training plan I really like using Hal Higdon's. Here's a link: http://www.halhigdon.com/ he has a bunch of plans for different levels of running. Hope this helps! I've completed 3 halfs and 1 full marathon and his plans fit my running style.

Only the outside company....which makes it really expensive....booo.

Ariel484

Yeah they are super expensive. Thanks for the info!

The CM's that are with the characters are more than happy to use your camera if you bring it with you.

-dave

Other runners would likely be glad to take a photo as well, if they are stopped in the same area you are...sort of a "you take one of me, then I'll take one of you on your camera" kind of deal.

But yeah, aren't those ASI photos $20 a pop or something?! :eek:

MKCP 1985

take a small camera with you for photos at character stops or mile markers. . . but know that only the ASI photographers will take snaps of you running through the castle or with SSE/Everest/BAH/finish line in the background as you are actually running

dreamfinder

Other runners would likely be glad to take a photo as well, if they are stopped in the same area you are...sort of a "you take one of me, then I'll take one of you on your camera" kind of deal.

But yeah, aren't those ASI photos $20 a pop or something?! :eek:

Something like that. The prices are actually pretty close to what photopass charges, and close to what other photographers charge as well. The kicker to me, is if you do multiple events. They will sell you a cd of all the pictures they tag as being you from a single event for like $99. But if most of your pictures end up in lost & found, they won't add those to your cd. And if you are doing Dopey, Goofy, or even just have multiple people running in the same event, its a $99 charge per person per event. They did offer a deal at the expo where they would sell you bot hthe half & full for like $125 or something, but it needed to be paid for at the expo. If they let you add the lost & found photos, then it might be worth it....

fmingo36

You can also purchase ALL of the pictures and videos that ASI photo take for $99. (And sometimes there are discount codes out there) They'll send you a cd or they'll send the pictures electronically. I ended up with about 35pictures & 5 videos from the marathon in January so it was worth it for me. And it was great having pictures and video of me crossing my the finish line of first marathon. :D

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Today's updated registration stats:

Walt Disney World® Marathon - 82% Full
Walt Disney World® Marathon Relay - 65% Full
Walt Disney World® Half Marathon - 86% Full
Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge - 93% Full
Disney Family Fiesta 5K featuring the Three Caballeros - 69% Full
Disney Kids' Races - 66% Full

MKCP 1985

Something like that. The prices are actually pretty close to what photopass charges, and close to what other photographers charge as well. The kicker to me, is if you do multiple events. They will sell you a cd of all the pictures they tag as being you from a single event for like $99. But if most of your pictures end up in lost & found, they won't add those to your cd. And if you are doing Dopey, Goofy, or even just have multiple people running in the same event, its a $99 charge per person per event. They did offer a deal at the expo where they would sell you bot hthe half & full for like $125 or something, but it needed to be paid for at the expo. If they let you add the lost & found photos, then it might be worth it....

The sentence in bold is not completely correct. I have found in the past that if I find my photos in lost and found and notify ASI, they move them into my gallery and then are included when I buy the photo disc.

but you are correct - if you find yourself in one or more lost and found photos after you've placed your order for your disc, they won't add it after the fact free of charge.

Ariel484

They posted the program...

http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/ewwos/pdf/rundisney/marathons/wdw-marathon/WDW12Program.pdf

...and the maps for the half and full SUCK. I'm not sure why they felt the need to change them...the new ones don't have the mile markers and food/water stops marked. And maybe it's just me, but the area in the full that goes by Yacht and Beach Club looks a bit off to me, even though it's still the same in the course description. :shrug:

Oh well...map disappointment aside, they posted the program! It's getting closer!! :sohappy: Happy training, everyone!

MKCP 1985

Yes I agree with you on the maps.

A couple other changes - one, it doesn't look like Spira shoe company is a major sponsor anymore. I guess they have given up on their spring technology becoming main stream. I've been pretty happy with my shoes and they have lasted a good long time, but serious runners have not endorsed them.

second - they have made slight changes to the Goofy and Mickey medals. Whether they are an improvement is probably a matter of personal taste, but there will be no need for a clip - the ribbon will pass through the slit in the top of the medal. The chip and dale relay medal looks really cool. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom