Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

DocAlan02

This was my 3rd WDW Marathon and 11th overall. I enjoyed it, and while I didn't PR, I did have my 3rd best time. I thought it was well run and generally liked the course. My family saw me at the TTC, by the Poly, and at the finish line. My only complaints were the ridiculous plastic cups (what a TERRIBLE idea!) that caused me to essentially miss several hydration stops, and I also didn't like the stretch on Western Way from AK to the BB parking lot. Sun was right in our face all the way down and then that parking lot out and back was bad. Tough spot in the race to face that stuff.

Rteetz

This was my 3rd WDW Marathon and 11th overall. I enjoyed it, and while I didn't PR, I did have my 3rd best time. I thought it was well run and generally liked the course. My family saw me at the TTC, by the Poly, and at the finish line. My only complaints were the ridiculous plastic cups (what a TERRIBLE idea!) that caused me to essentially miss several hydration stops, and I also didn't like the stretch on Western Way from AK to the BB parking lot. Sun was right in our face all the way down and then that parking lot out and back was bad. Tough spot in the race to face that stuff.
I think the plastic cups were because they ran out of the paper. They didn't have them at every stop.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
I ran Dopey so they definitely had powerade cups some of those days. They all sort of blur together. Likely were out by marathon day.
My recollection was paper Powerade cups at all stops for the half and like the first two stops for the full. I was near the front of s4.

We got towels at Runner's Square? That I don't remember. I wonder where mine is.

Yep, they were navy blue and had runDisney across one side in a slightly different shade of blue, I think they were about 8”x16” or so. If memory serves, they handed them out when you stopped by after the race with the runDisney rice krispy treat.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Was surprised I didn't see attempts to do that at the point during the W&D Half last November. I've see many corral jump for the Princess Half after returning from the porta potties near the start line.
do NOT get me started on corral jumpers. Sunday morning was a complete mess because we started early and had to "force" everyone into 6 if they were late. When it says to be in your start groups by a certain time - BE IN THEM

pdude81

I actually liked the clear cups as I was easily able to tell when the powerade stopped and the water started. I don't remember from previous years, but if they had blue cardboard powerade cups vs white water cups then that would have been totally fine. It just meant I had to walk to drink the powerade instead of trying to jog through, which always caused me to spill on myself anyway.

Greenlawler

Anyone else laugh at the people who arrive later and they walk right past you in the coral like they are looking for someone, only to be blatantly getting in front of you. I mean it's literally dozens and dozens of people who do this. It used to irritate me because I am always there early to get a good spot. But now I just laugh.

There was one couple who did this every day last week. The same two people and they would also squeeze right by me to stand about two feet in front of me....only for me to pass them within seconds of the start, lol.

pdude81

Anyone else laugh at the people who arrive later and they walk right past you in the coral like they are looking for someone, only to be blatantly getting in front of you. I mean it's literally dozens and dozens of people who do this. It used to irritate me because I am always there early to get a good spot. But now I just laugh.

There was one couple who did this every day last week. The same two people and they would also squeeze right by me to stand about two feet in front of me....only for me to pass them within seconds of the start, lol.
I moved up a little bit just to fill in bigger holes in front, but only before we started walking forward. After that it would be hilarious all the people trying to get that extra 4 seconds off their time.

pdude81

do NOT get me started on corral jumpers. Sunday morning was a complete mess because we started early and had to "force" everyone into 6 if they were late. When it says to be in your start groups by a certain time - BE IN THEM
What was that time btw? I don't think I managed to get to Epcot from the monorail until 4:25 or so. Then had to hoof it over to bag drop and all the way to the start. I got into 3 ok from there and could relax, but if people were later than me and not in 6 I don't know what they were thinking. Had to pass at least a thousand people though just heading to the start, though it is really far

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Yup.

Rteetz

One thing I do think they could've done a better job of was having the DJ or someone on the stage in the pre-race area announcing times and stuff like that. Especially Sunday with them wanting to start early. That should have been communicated better.

surfsupdon

I move right to the front because I want to be in that first group so the mile marker clocks are accurate to me! But there are a lot of empty spaces to fill in so it does not feel like I am cutting. Guys will pass me by too, especially the elite who were doing their warmups elsewhere. Just a part of being in a corral I guess…errr…a starting group!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom