Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
BTW I am so not ready for a Dopey.
Not that I’ve ever truly been “ready” for Dopey, but I’m definitely in the same boat. I plan to do one 13 and one 26 mile run before the end of the year and then we’ll see how it goes in January, haha

I noticed that they kept Blizzard Beach parking lot loop on the Full Marathon course but won’t be going through any of the water park like they did in 2020 (before the red flag anyway).
96C8E4A3-C453-49C0-94FE-48B3E1FB0061.jpeg

I can’t imagine that will be a popular decision (maybe not on par with adding ESPN back to the course, but still can’t imagine it being popular to run all the way up to a park entrance that far in the race but not go in any of it).

Any ideas why? Did the lifeguards tell them no running at the pool 😉? I don’t remember it being particularly slick before, but maybe they’re planning on Typhoon Lagoon still being down and having Blizzard Beach in operation that day and are worried about crowd flow and water on pavement? But based on the map, it seems like it will be a challenge to get any cars in and out past the running route.

Rteetz

Not that I’ve ever truly been “ready” for Dopey, but I’m definitely in the same boat. I plan to do one 13 and one 26 mile run before the end of the year and then we’ll see how it goes in January, haha

I noticed that they kept Blizzard Beach parking lot loop on the Full Marathon course but won’t be going through any of the water park like they did in 2020 (before the red flag anyway).
View attachment 605347

I can’t imagine that will be a popular decision (maybe not on par with adding ESPN back to the course, but still can’t imagine it being popular to run all the way up to a park entrance that far in the race but not go in any of it).

Any ideas why? Did the lifeguards tell them no running at the pool 😉? I don’t remember it being particularly slick before, but maybe they’re planning on Typhoon Lagoon still being down and having Blizzard Beach in operation that day and are worried about crowd flow and water on pavement? But based on the map, it seems like it will be a challenge to get any cars in and out past the running route.
I would rather do ESPN than this.

pdude81

BTW I am so not ready for a Dopey.

I'm in the same place on Dopey. Had a Halloween trip to DL and got out of the training cycle for a solid month. Now ramping back up is challenging. I'm just going to suffer through it and use it to learn what I need to know for next year.

As far as looping around Epcot a few times early and the parking lot, I don't get that choice. Surely there are other options that they could have chosen.

I would rather do ESPN than this.

Agreed, although I never really minded the ESPN loop to begin with. I wonder if they don't want us going through BB or WWOS just to cut down on the number of people they need to have at those locations for safety/security. Really grasping at straws to understand why they have us loop back up past Coronado instead of going out the South end of DAK even if they didn't want to use WWOS.

surfsupdon

I thought it was strongly rumored that Typhoon would be open and Blizzard would be closed by the time Marathon weekend was here. So we could run in the water park.

I remember lots of complaints that BB was very curvy and hard to navigate, but not really tougher than WWoS, correct? I actually never minded WWoS.

lightningtap347

Both the Half and full courses look lame in comparison to the W&D half.

I don't understand why you spend such little time in DHS. Additionally, you spend less time in DAK in this full marathon than you spent in the W&D half.

Is this normal?

OG Runner

I don't understand why you spend such little time in DHS. Additionally, you spend less time in DAK in this full marathon than you spent in the W&D half.

Is this normal?
I believe it is normal, but like you do not understand it. It really is a bit of a mess.

Demarke

Premium Member
I thought it was strongly rumored that Typhoon would be open and Blizzard would be closed by the time Marathon weekend was here. So we could run in the water park.

I remember lots of complaints that BB was very curvy and hard to navigate, but not really tougher than WWoS, correct? I actually never minded WWoS.
I thought so too, but as of now Disney is showing Typhoon Lagoon closed on 1/9/22 and Blizzard Beach as TBD
09FF3E9A-5E8E-4E6D-A05E-FD689B5AE0A8.jpeg

pdude81

In reading through the welcome letter I'm noticing it doesn't say anything about characters until talking about the Half Marathon distance. I thought there were characters in all the races though. I've only done the marathon before; can anyone confirm that there will be character stops in the 5 and 10k? More specifically, that they have done this in the past since we never know what they are doing in the future

Figment82

Those out and backs and loops around DAK and Western Way look like total buzzkills. They come at a bad time too - when you’re approaching mile 16, other runners are hitting mile 18. I know the course was a bit different when I ran the full (2012), but I remember that area was when the motivation really started to drain quickly.

Demarke

Premium Member
In reading through the welcome letter I'm noticing it doesn't say anything about characters until talking about the Half Marathon distance. I thought there were characters in all the races though. I've only done the marathon before; can anyone confirm that there will be character stops in the 5 and 10k? More specifically, that they have done this in the past since we never know what they are doing in the future
There were for the Wine and Dine, I’d be real surprised if they didn’t have some on those routes for Marathon weekend

Rteetz

Is this normal?
Yes normal. The allure of both the half course for MW and Princess is running through the castle. You don't do that in the W&D course. The allure of the full is all four parks of course. I don't hate the full course. I just don't like the new portion near BB that they now have. In 2020 that portion felt the hottest and was eventually cut off due to conditions.

OG Runner

Not a fan of the fact we don’t run through world showcase…. I do like that it starts in Epcot and it’s not park at Epcot and take a bus to MK.

We still finish coming through World Showcase. As crazy as it seemed, I still enjoyed the course that included Wide World of Sports.
Yes you wound back and forth a bit, but you actually came out of there at about the 20 mile mark and then had getting to Disney Studios in front of you and then onto Epcot. I wish they understood running through the parking lot of a closed water park is not the same.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom