Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
I have always supported all of the runners on these boards, as I have always appreciated the support I have received.
There is just something about virtual races that rubs me the wrong way. I actually ran a half marathon on the day of
the Wine & Dine Half. To me it was training, I did not sign up for the virtual Wine & Dine. I honestly congratulate you
on completing the distances, but running the "2021 Dopey" a month before the 2022 Dopey?
A back handed compliment is not the same as being supportive.

OG Runner

A back handed compliment is not the same as being supportive.

Look at my other comments on these boards, over the previous years. It was not a back handed compliment.
I honestly do support and admire the runners on these boards. I just have a bit of a problem with the whole
virtual race concept. I even did the Lion King virtual races this Summer with my girlfriend. I made sure though
we did one each month and completed and submitted all of our times in the given time parameters. Signing up
for a virtual race, when the actual race is in January then running the miles in November just doesn't set right
with me. Again I understand the effort to put in the miles and support the runner.

pdude81

I'm back and forth on this. I don't really get the concept of a virtual race and have shunned them mostly so far, but I come from a background in competitive running (way back, I'm very slow now). So it's just unfamiliar to me. For others they might prefer the comfort of their neighborhood or treadmill and not want to deal with getting up at 2am to travel to a race. And 2021 Dopey only existed as virtual, so if you wanted to do that it was your only choice. I can understand people wanting their "normal" whether or not they normally do virtual races for that one.

(Opinion) If someone signs up for a virtual I think the time and place are kind of unimportant, unless the organizing body sees fit to have requirements. They sent out the medals whether you ran or not, so clearly Disney did not care. I think it's good that this runner went back and did them, even if it were as part of training. Often runners will choose B races as training for their A races, so that isn't uncommon to me.

pdude81

Look at my other comments on these boards, over the previous years. It was not a back handed compliment.
I honestly do support and admire the runners on these boards. I just have a bit of a problem with the whole
virtual race concept. I even did the Lion King virtual races this Summer with my girlfriend. I made sure though
we did one each month and completed and submitted all of our times in the given time parameters. Signing up
for a virtual race, when the actual race is in January then running the miles in November just doesn't set right
with me. Again I understand the effort to put in the miles and support the runner.
On the whole it seemed like that, because you cited your support for other runners as part of the criticism of this one. And you actually said congratulations on doing something you don't approve of. To me it fits the criteria of a backhanded compliment.

This isn't an attack on your opinion, either. Just my two cents

OG Runner

On the whole it seemed like that, because you cited your support for other runners as part of the criticism of this one. And you actually said congratulations on doing something you don't approve of. To me it fits the criteria of a backhanded compliment.

This isn't an attack on your opinion, either. Just my two cents

I completely understand. I was trying to note my prior support of the specific runner. It was more of a dislike of the virtual races than the individual. I was also a competitive runner. (long ago in a land far, far away) I ran a 10k through Roger Williams Park in Rhode Island in
February, in a snow storm. I ran in a cross country race also in Rhode Island, in the rain, the course we very very muddy. Back then I signed
up for a race and ran the race. You didn't wait a few months until it was convenient.

surfsupdon

I completely understand. I was trying to note my prior support of the specific runner. It was more of a dislike of the virtual races than the individual. I was also a competitive runner. (long ago in a land far, far away) I ran a 10k through Roger Williams Park in Rhode Island in
February, in a snow storm. I ran in a cross country race also in Rhode Island, in the rain, the course we very very muddy. Back then I signed
up for a race and ran the race. You didn't wait a few months until it was convenient.
I can agree. I believe anyone who is running is a runner. Virtual options are nice to have! An in person race takes place in the conditions of that day, good, bad, or indifferent. I support anyone who runs, but respect the virtual run more when completed on the day of the actual race...as opposed to a time with perfect conditions at a perfect location.

I ran the Space Mtn and Lion King Broadway virtuals...and I selected the days to run them in advance. Allowed me to train and I was forced to run in the conditions of the day I pre selected.

I do understand your viewpoint.

Everyone looks at virtual options differently. I do not include virtual miles in my totals here while others do. Again, there is no right and wrong. Just different opinions. Fun discussion tho.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
It’s not like there was much of a choice for 2021 anyway, if you wanted to participate, virtual was the only option. I get having an expectation of running on (or near) the date of the expected race if you sign up for something with the prior intent of running as a virtual, but this one was kind of thrust upon us after we’d signed up for a live race.

For me, I dropped down to marathon-only because I knew I would never run Dopey over four days (as an obligation) on the same trails I run on for fun. It’s easy to knock out challenges when you’re on-site and have the structure and support of a formal race, plus other runners to help pace you, etc. It’s a lot harder to find four days and stay motivated to go through the progression of distances with a) work/family obligations/ life/etc getting in the way, but also b) without the boost that you get from being in a real race route, with other runners, water/medical stations, and other fun distractions.

I know how hard it was to find time to fit just the three days of the last Star Wars together and did that 2-3 months late myself.

When you have a live race thrust upon you as a virtual, it feels to me that you aren’t so much obligated by a time schedule (after all since the live race was cancelled, there were literally no live race dates to run on, they couldn’t stick to their schedule, so why should you have to?). So, to me, it becomes more of a running challenge, like the ones your run tracking apps might give you, that you can complete on your own schedule.

Knowing how difficult it is for me to plan multi-day runs (and that no one in their right mind would attempt Dopey in the heat about 8-9 months of the year), I understand the delay to the now cooler weather and I’m impressed with anyone that could do it in the four day schedule as intended. I have no qualm with the dates so long as it’s before the next one. 😃

Last edited:

OG Runner

I can agree. I believe anyone who is running is a runner. Virtual options are nice to have! An in person race takes place in the conditions of that day, good, bad, or indifferent. I support anyone who runs, but respect the virtual run more when completed on the day of the actual race...as opposed to a time with perfect conditions at a perfect location.

I ran the Space Mtn and Lion King Broadway virtuals...and I selected the days to run them in advance. Allowed me to train and I was forced to run in the conditions of the day I pre selected.

I do understand your viewpoint.

Everyone looks at virtual options differently. I do not include virtual miles in my totals here while others do. Again, there is no right and wrong. Just different opinions. Fun discussion tho.

That is exactly what I was trying to say. From the reactions I have received at different times though, I do not appear to have made my
point as succinctly. Thank you!

Texas84

That is exactly what I was trying to say. From the reactions I have received at different times though, I do not appear to have made my
point as succinctly. Thank you!
Since there are in person races now, all virtual runners should be forced to show proof of waking up at 0230 and standing around outside for 1-2 hours before starting at the exact same date and time as the actual race.

Surferboy567

I mean, we all know my thoughts on a virtual race. Why should it matter what day they do them on? Pre-selected or not if the run is being done and the results are legitimate that runner earned that medal as far as I’m concerned.

I do understand the point @Edward Jackson brings up though. It is definitely valid. I just don’t think it matters.

I am also totally aware their are people who sign up for the races and don’t actually run them for the cool medal and sometimes shirt. That person is only fooling themselves.

For myself, as I have said the virtuals have been a great way for me to run a somewhat real race without actually going. I’m in the greatest shape of my life because of the virtual races. As I have also said the goal was always to run a LIVE run, which I’m going to attempt to do with the Springtime Surprise.

Greenlawler

I have always supported all of the runners on these boards, as I have always appreciated the support I have received.
There is just something about virtual races that rubs me the wrong way. I actually ran a half marathon on the day of
the Wine & Dine Half. To me it was training, I did not sign up for the virtual Wine & Dine. I honestly congratulate you
on completing the distances, but running the "2021 Dopey" a month before the 2022 Dopey?

Sigh....I just saw this. Wish I had not.

Last edited:

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Sigh....I just saw this. Wish I had not.

Don‘t even give it a second thought - there are several of us who think what you did was AWESOME. I have immense respect for anyone who does a “regular” Dopey - which has a distinct advantage of the additional energy you gain being around so many other runners - but to motivate for one completely on your own is a whole other ballgame and you should feel proud at having the inner strength to do it. I‘ve got a lot of inner strength, but not that much!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Since there are in person races now, all virtual runners should be forced to show proof of waking up at 0230 and standing around outside for 1-2 hours before starting at the exact same date and time as the actual race.

I'm not standing out in the rain, wind and cold again 2 days in a row unless it's an in-person race..... 😁

Greenlawler

I am sorry, it is just an opinion. The mileage was an incredible accomplishment, as I also feel you should be proud of completing
that much mileage over such a short period of time. I am honestly not trying to take away from that.
I could counter your opinion but I think it's best to move on. I just don't think this is the place for that kind of discussion, and it's really not that important.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom