News Walt Disney World holidays 2021

Splashin' Ryan

Starting to wonder if we are ever going to see the castle dreamlights again. Have projections finally kill them off.
Not to mention the 50th castle decor would have almost certainly stopped the dream lights from being put on.
I wonder if they were planning to do something with the projections on top of the 50th decor for the holidays before covid or if just by happenstance the Christmas covid projections made it easier for them to continue it into this year and likely next year as well.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
SCREENS_starwarsholidayspecial-745x445.jpg

Yet another year of missed opportunities at DHS.

Art Carney and Bea Arthur look a likes, with Malla, Lumpy, and Itchy.

You're leaving money on the table Bob Chapek.

drizgirl

Starting to wonder if we are ever going to see the castle dreamlights again. Have projections finally kill them off.
I'm very concerned they are using this (pandemic/50th) as a way to wean us off of them.

They can do projections against the dream lights. They have many many times. They just don't want to.

And DLR mingled Halloween and Christmas with their 60th decor very nicely. It can be done.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
No mention of Candlelight...is it gone forever, or just suspended again? Seems to be no reason for them not to be able to have it this year. Distancing is clearly no longer a concern.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
No mention of Candlelight...is it gone forever, or just suspended again? Seems to be no reason for them not to be able to have it this year. Distancing is clearly no longer a concern.
Like almost all entertainment now, there is only really one reason why it isn't happening, and that isn't anything to do with distancing or concerns of COVID.

I would be surprised if it is gone forever. It sells a huge amount of dining and is a necessary draw for a struggling park.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Like almost all entertainment now, there is only really one reason why it isn't happening, and that isn't anything to do with distancing or concerns of COVID.

I would be surprised if it is gone forever. It sells a huge amount of dining and is a necessary draw for a struggling park.
I know it all comes back to staffing, but most of the people involved in that event were either contracted out for the event (the orchestra), or Equity performers, and the VoL have already returned to work. Maybe they didn't feel ready to bring the high school choirs back yet?

It probably has more to do with the restaurants not being fully operational. They likely couldn't monetize the event by way of dining package sales to their satisfaction.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

castlecake2.0

I’m assuming candlelight is a combination of not having full restaurant staffing still making it difficult to offer dining packages(multiple epcot restaurants are still closed), not wanting to ship in unvaccinated high school students to perform, and probably also not having all the behind the scenes staff back yet needed to put on the production.

JohnD

SCREENS_starwarsholidayspecial-745x445.jpg

Yet another year of missed opportunities at DHS.

Art Carney and Bea Arthur look a likes, with Malla, Lumpy, and Itchy.

You're leaving money on the table Bob Chapek.

The Bea Arthur and Chewie characters can be played by the same actor because of their height. Of course, the characters can't be on the stage at the same time.

GrumpyFan

While I think they're a great Christmas season experience, I don't really think they need to do them anymore, at least not physically. The projection mapping has gotten so good that they can now re-create the same visuals and even add more effects now. I think they may try and go this route for the future, which will save them the cost of labor and renting a big crane for several weeks before and after the season. Not to mention, if they go virtual (projection mapped), it will save Guest Relations the negative comments that they get from guests when the crane is raised.

jpinkc

This will be our First trip during the holiday season in years. I hope they try and make it special as its my kids first Holiday at WDW. Wife and I have been pre kids, but thats 18 years ago. Candlelight would be great for Wife and Daughter. I think my boy would be bored to tears LOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom