News Walt Disney World Christmas holidays 2022

Comped

I was never a fan of One Solitary Life, even when it was passed around on mimeographed copies.
Unfortunately, it seems like most people disagree with you. At least from folks I talk to, including a number of former Disney execs who hated the change. Personally, I'm surprised someone hasn't tried to read it since it got cut, especially the religiously or Disney-traditionally minded...

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Unfortunately, it seems like most people disagree with you. At least from folks I talk to, including a number of former Disney execs who hated the change. Personally, I'm surprised someone hasn't tried to read it since it got cut, especially the religiously or Disney-traditionally minded...
Those who liked it have no one to blame but Jim Cavaziel for its removal.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Because of his work on the passion of Christ? Or is there something more Disney specific I didn't know...
Not exactly. He wandered way off the reservation while reading the One Solitary Life speech and took it as an opportunity to plug his film, The Passion of the Christ (“And like many of you saw in my movie, The Passion of the Christ, on the third day he did rise again and now sits at the right hand of the Father and will come again in the clouds of Heaven.”).

After this he was never asked back, and the speech disappeared the following year.

jrhwdw

Not exactly. He wandered way off the reservation while reading the One Solitary Life speech and took it as an opportunity to plug his film, The Passion of the Christ (“And like many of you saw in my movie, The Passion of the Christ, on the third day he did rise again and now sits at the right hand of the Father and will come again in the clouds of Heaven.”).

After this he was never asked back, and the speech disappeared the following year.

IDK if Radio City even uses One Solitary Life anymore. I remember hearing it before it's 75th but not after.......

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
View of MIckey's Once Upon A Christmastime Parade from Frontierland

https://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/mickeys-once-upon-a-christmastime-parade/gallery/01dec2022-mickey's-once-upon-a-christmastime-parade-2022---frontierland.htm

Mickeys-Once-Upon-a-Christmastime-Parade_Full_49522.jpg

Mickeys-Once-Upon-a-Christmastime-Parade_Full_49528.jpg

Mickeys-Once-Upon-a-Christmastime-Parade_Full_49539.jpg

Mickeys-Once-Upon-a-Christmastime-Parade_Full_49549.jpg

Mickeys-Once-Upon-a-Christmastime-Parade_Full_49568.jpg

Mickeys-Once-Upon-a-Christmastime-Parade_Full_49571.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's a great parade. Aside form the trumpeting toy soldiers, I didn't notice anything missing. But then again, I wouldn't have remembered if there were 6, 8, or 10 elves bouncing the Pixar balls. There is a new Green Army Men jeep with the Pixar group.

The skiers were rollerblading and they were *fast*. They really seemed to enjoy themselves.

The dance numbers are well choreographed. There's like a 2 minute routine before it repeats. Very well done considering many are CMs-who-move and not actual dancers.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here is the Magic Kingdom Holiday entertainment schedule for December 23rd through December 31st:

Mickey’s Most Merriest Celebration
December 23-29 - 6:15pm, 7:25pm, 8:45pm, 10:15pm
December 30-31 - 7:45pm, 9pm, 10pm

Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmastime Parade
December 23-31 - 12pm and 3pm

Minnie's Wonderful Christmastime Fireworks
December 23-29 - 8:15pm

Fantasy In The Sky Fireworks
December 30-31 - 6:30pm and 11:50pm

ToTBellHop

Here is the Magic Kingdom Holiday entertainment schedule for December 23rd through December 31st:

Mickey’s Most Merriest Celebration
December 23-29 - 6:15pm, 7:25pm, 8:45pm, 10:15pm
December 30-31 - 7:45pm, 9pm, 10pm

Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmastime Parade
December 23-31 - 12pm and 3pm

Minnie's Wonderful Christmastime Fireworks
December 23-29 - 8:15pm

Fantasy In The Sky Fireworks
December 30-31 - 6:30pm and 11:50pm
It must be interesting counting down to midnight at like 6:37 pm on 12/30 but it’s a nice offering for kiddos!

JohnD

This board is probably not the place for theological discussions, though I’m happy to have them elsewhere. I’m not the theological rube you may think I am. 😉

To answer your question, yes, the audience stood for the Hallelujah chorus, though I suspect mileage will vary here depending on the audience. The number starts with Joy to the World, so everyone is sitting. When it transitions to Hallelujah, at both performances everyone stood. But then when it shifted back to Joy to the World, people got confused. At one performance, everyone sat back down, then stood again when it shifted back to Hallelujah. This continued happening to the point where it felt like we were doing that children’s song Stand Up, Sit Down. At the other performance, everyone remained standing the entire time.

And yes, Chita’s enthusiastic singing is what does it for me. She also always appears to be genuinely overjoyed to be there.
I can imagine everyone being confused. Those brought up in Catholic or Anglican ("liturgy") traditions probably stand first. Others who don't know any better see this happening and stand themselves. Then liturgy guests hear Joy to the World so sit and the others follow suit again. Upon hearing again Hallelujah is when confusion ensues. LOL. I guess I would probably remain standing.

JohnD

-There is also new narration after Silent Night that talks about Jesus always giving of himself (feeding the hungry, giving water to the thirsty, visiting the sick, etc.) and teaching people to love and care for one another. I also loved this change. I think those who were upset about the show getting “less spiritual” because they cut the One Solitary Life speech will be happy with this change. It is unabashedly religious though the ultimate message in this passage is universal.
In a 2012 version, Silent Night is introduced with the story of its first writing. Joy to the World is introduced with One Solitary Life. Now in 2022, Silent Night is introduced by an entirely made up story of Mary and Joseph looking down at Jesus "sleeping peacefully in the manger" "wondering what the future would bring for them". Did that happen? We don't know. But that was made up out of whole swaddling cloths just to introduce Silent Night. I would have rather heard the true story of "Silent Night's" creation. Then we're told that Jesus was a nice man with an "earthly" heart who told us all to "love one another".

So they removed the story of Silent Night and a decidedly Christian message in One Solitary Life and replaced that with Jesus where is just a nice prophet. I could get into more theology but that isn't Christian. It's just telling everyone he was nice and lived by the Golden Rule. It only took 10 years, but now we have a watered-down, less Christian Jesus.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom