News Walt Disney World Christmas holidays 2022

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Needs an apostrophe.

It’s either the Holiday Special of one Disney Park or all of them. So either ‘s or s’ required.

They don’t intend it as possessive here, so it doesn’t need it. It’s a holiday special [taking place in] “Disney Parks”, which they’re referring to as a collective entity, much in the same way that a visually plural sports team name doesn’t need to be styled as a possessive in many cases, for instance.

As @MisterPenguin said, it would be clearer if it said “for our”, but that’s about it.

“Filming today at Magic Kingdom our Disney Parks Holiday Special” is unintentionally a fragment. As stated, it needs a linking verb. Or If they wanted it to clearly not be a sentence, “our” would be removed.

"Filming" is a gerund in a noun clause.

To see it, replace the awkward "our Disney Parks Holiday Show" with simply "our show."

That leaves us with:

"Filming today at Magic Kingdom our show."​

Now, 'our show' is the 'complement' of the gerund 'filming.'

To see that, consider that the 'when' of 'today', and 'where' of 'at Magic Kingdom', are simply an adverb and a adjectival prepositional phrase. They would ordinarily be after the gerund clause as such:

"Filming our show today at Magic Kingdom."​
It's just an inversion of the adverb and adjective with the complement (object of the gerund).

Putting back in the awkward phrase in place of "our show," we get...

"Filming our Disney Parks Holiday Show today at Magic Kingdom."​

It's the inversion which makes it sound awkward.

Also:

Signage is not ordinarily expected to follow 'rules' of formal English, such as being full sentences, e.g., "One Way".

Nouns, by themselves, can be possessive or adjectival. It's one of the quirks of the English language which hates declensions. For example:
  1. Rockefeller Center and not Rockefeller's Center
  2. dog house and not dog's house
  3. love triangle and not love's triangle
  4. Animal Kingdom Park and not Animal Kingdom's Park.

What nouns can be possessive and undeclined, and which ones get an apostrophe-S? No rhyme or reason. It's a fool's gambit.

spectromagic04

Why is Disney so slow at putting up Christmas decorations this year? DAK still doesn’t have the Christmas tree, Pandora decorations and some of Dinoland decorations. The Christmas season started Friday and non of the resorts have decorations minus gingerbread displays.

castlecake2.0

Why is Disney so slow at putting up Christmas decorations this year? DAK still doesn’t have the Christmas tree, Pandora decorations and some of Dinoland decorations. The Christmas season started Friday and non of the resorts have decorations minus gingerbread displays.
Resorts usually aren’t all finished until mid November. Also there was a hurricane that messed up plans.

spectromagic04

There was a hurricane two days ago?
Yes but last year they had all the parks decorated minus Epcot by November 6th. Unless I’m mistaken it usually started 6-8th of November. I know everything got delayed because of the hurricane, but seems the holidays started late in general this year.

UNCgolf

I know they basically have to put the decorations up in early-mid November because they have paid Christmas events in November, but it's strange to see everything decorated for Christmas before Thanksgiving.

Although it's not as bizarre as when they have the Halloween/fall decorations up in the middle of summer.

Disone

Hmmm According to the WDW article The Grand Floridian gingerbread house opened November 11th, 2021. On the pictures on that date you can tell that none of the other Christmas decor is up. No garland no tree naddam It's just the gingerbread house.
Resorts usually aren’t all finished until mid November. Also there was a hurricane that messed up plans.
This^^^^^
It's not really full on Christmas season yet.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Didn't DAK get the Christmasy animals of light puppets even before Halloween?

As far as I remember, pandemic barring, full-on Christmas decorations for non-MK parks and resorts was always around the week leading up to Thanksgiving.

Disone

Didn't DAK get the Christmasy animals of light puppets even before Halloween?

As far as I remember, pandemic barring, full-on Christmas decorations for non-MK parks and resorts was always around the week leading up to Thanksgiving.
I don't know that Dak got anything that soon, but I absolutely agree that Christmas decor was usually the lead up to Thanksgiving with the exception of Magic Kingdom because of the very Merry Christmas parties.

Unrelated, but just fun to think about, In the '90s the Halloween party was second fiddle to the Christmas party. There were way more Christmas party events than there were Halloween events.

Now of course there's more Halloween events than there are Christmas events. It's getting to the point that I have expect them to Thank you for watching " our 4th of July. Fireworks spectacular and don't forget the very first Mickey is not so scarynHalloween party is tomorrow " 🙂

Clamman73

Still
995954C1-6ACC-476D-B6F6-3CFCF90F03D4.jpeg

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I'm surprised it didn't say, "We are recording the Disney Brand Holiday Performance today".

Disney Parks... The Jay Rasulo gift that keeps on ... 🤮 It never fails to make me wretch a little when seeing/reading it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom