Walt Disney World annual pass price increases now in effect (February 2020)

tribbleorlfl

Considering the cost of SWGE, the lost revenue from Shanghai and HKDL and all of the new stuff opening over the next year, I'm actually surprised the increases weren't higher.

Doesn't change the fact, though, that after 13 years of APs, we're not renewing next month.

Eamethyst

Unless the demand wasn’t there...
Which is has not been for Star Wars...hence no 2019 double jack
Disney world increased prices every year since they opened and will continue. In 2018 they increased prices three times but not three times on AP's. They did gradually. They increased one day tickets, then another time multi-way tickets and then the AP. Disney hasn't had a demand to increase ap's twice until last year. Disney has made a few new rides not many. That didn't break the bank, Ha ha. Disney hasn't made another land except for toy story land in Hollywood studios June 2018. So you have toy story land a year before Star Wars. In 2021 expect for prices to increase because magic kingdom will be open Tron. Epecot is under renovations. I saw a few new rides coming to Epcot that are all ready at Euro Disney & Disney Land, etc.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Disney world increased prices every year since they opened and will continue. In 2018 they increased prices three times but not three times on AP's. They did gradually. They increased one day tickets, then another time multi-way tickets and then the AP. Disney hasn't had a demand to increase ap's twice until last year. Disney has made a few new rides not many. That didn't break the bank, Ha ha. Disney hasn't made another land except for toy story land in Hollywood studios June 2018. So you have toy story land a year before Star Wars. In 2021 expect for prices to increase because magic kingdom will be open Tron. Epecot is under renovations. I saw a few new rides coming to Epcot that are all ready at Euro Disney & Disney Land, etc.

Pandora opened in 2017.

Eamethyst

Pandora opened in 2017.
Right but Disney had already increased their prices in Feb of 2017. Pandora opened in May 2017. The next increase was 2018 three times. 1) one day tickets. 2) multi day tickets. 3) one day and Muti day tickets increased 2019, annual passes increased in feb 2019 and oct 2019 annual passes increased feb 2020. I'm talking more about increases. I know pandora was big but ticket prices didn't increase until 8 months after the opening. Star Wars brings in more money then Pandora. Disney world, Disneyland, Euro Disney all have Star Wars land.

Eamethyst

BUT - got some data for everyone :).

I CALLED DVC. They were kind enough to tell me the new cost, WITH TAX, for a Gold AP Renewal - DVC Owner.
$650.72.

Hope this helps others, doing financial planning :).
Sales tax increased recently in certain cities throughout Florida. Disney is 7% but that does not include hotel tax. That is a different amount for tax.

Last edited:

Eamethyst

Well, can't say that it wasn't without warning. Really, these are pretty modest increases. Makes me think they might give it another round later this year.
Ticket prices including AP prices increase every year. Disney has been increasing prices since they opened. Prices increases usually in Feb. So far the AP prices have only increased once so far this year. Last year they increased. Next year they defiantly will because Tron is suppose to open in Magic kingdom. Epoct, some areas are under renovations. New rides are coming to Epcot. Hollywood studios Mickey and Minnie's runaway railroad road suppose to open March 2020, Animal Kingdom: Nothing major is going. Disney Springs lots of restaurants and stores are coming. Resorts: Some have gotten renovations. Star War resort due to open in 2021. The increased prices aren't just for the theme parks. They are for everything throughout Disney world in general. Disney is like a city in its own way. The charge for everything. Except parking at Disney Springs and the water parks.

Eamethyst

They're spending billions in the parks, they have to pay for that somehow!!! /s
It's not just parks though that they are spending money on. It's resorts, hotels, Disney Springs, transportation. Prices increase because they spend so much money. If Disney never opened a new ride, a land, restaurants, retail store. Prices would be cheaper. Disney was lacking for many years when it comes to renovations. For awhile Disney Springs was not doing well. The name of Disney springs changed sever times. It went from Lake Buena Vista Shopping Village to Walt Disney Village to Pleasure Island to Disney Village Market Place to Pleasure Island_ Disney Village Market Place to Disney Springs. Most people new the area as downtown Disney. Look at Epcot. Rides have come and gone in Epcot. Epcot for many years did business but not as much as the other parks. Now they doing renovations. I hope that it will work.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Right but Disney had already increased their prices in Feb of 2017. Pandora opened in May 2017. The next increase was 2018 three times. 1) one day tickets. 2) multi day tickets. 3) one day and Muti day tickets increased 2019, annual passes increased in feb 2019 and oct 2019 annual passes increased feb 2020. I'm talking more about increases. I know pandora was big but ticket prices didn't increase until 8 months after the opening. Star Wars brings in more money then Pandora. Disney world, Disneyland, Euro Disney all have Star Wars land.

They raised prices in Feb 2017 in anticipation of the May 2017 opening. They didn't raise prices again until Feb 2018, and they only increased twice that year. Once in Feb and once in Oct.

Eamethyst

They raised prices in Feb 2017 in anticipation of the May 2017 opening. They didn't raise prices again until Feb 2018, and they only increased twice that year. Once in Feb and once in Oct.
Disney raised ticket prices not once, not twice, but three times since the beginning of 2018. That’s for its annual platinum pass which gives you access for a year to all four parks: the Magic Kingdom, Epcot Center, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom. In February, Disney raised prices for the passes from $779 to $849. Then in October, Disney increased them again, from $849 to $890. Then, because of the new Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge opening, they raised prices again from $890 to $1,119. Over the past five years, Disney has hiked fees at roughly double the rate of inflation,

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

If you went to the Disney site and logged into your account, you could of added the Ap to your cart, the price would of shown you what the sales tax is along with monthly payment fee, if you chose that route or full payment.
All true - unless one is calculating a RENEWAL, prior to the 60 day expiration of a current pass. You see, some folks (like us) want to know what our RENEWAL price is likely to be, prior to our ability to buy one.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Disney raised ticket prices not once, not twice, but three times since the beginning of 2018. That’s for its annual platinum pass which gives you access for a year to all four parks: the Magic Kingdom, Epcot Center, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom. In February, Disney raised prices for the passes from $779 to $849. Then in October, Disney increased them again, from $849 to $890. Then, because of the new Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge opening, they raised prices again from $890 to $1,119. Over the past five years, Disney has hiked fees at roughly double the rate of inflation,

They raise ticket prices annually, you're just combining years to be unnecessarily dramatic. You also said ticket prices, and then switched to talking about annual passes.

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 12.34.33 PM.png

Source: https://allears.net/walt-disney-world/wdw-planning/wdw-ticket-increase-guide/

You originally said:

That statement is false. Tickets increased in 2018 two times, followed by one time in 2019. Annual passes increased in 2018 two times, in 2019 one time, and in 2020 one time (so far).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They raise ticket prices annually, you're just combining years to be unnecessarily dramatic. You also said ticket prices, and then switched to talking about annual passes.

View attachment 450808
Source: https://allears.net/walt-disney-world/wdw-planning/wdw-ticket-increase-guide/

You originally said:

That statement is false. Tickets increased in 2018 two times, followed by one time in 2019. Annual passes increased in 2018 two times, in 2019 one time, and in 2020 one time (so far).

Indeed...lumping the different types of tickets together is also disingenuous. As they do much more “targeted” price adjustments to specific demos...

I also caution to make the correlation of recent ticket/price adjustments and frequencies to be “the way it’s always been” - a frequent duster stance.

The passes have gone up by a factor of 100% in 15 years...that is not “standard” nor based in “inflation”

Pay it...don’t pay it....that’s up to you.

However, don’t for a second think the Bob’s are doing what they “have to do”...their model is different than the prior models which built an ultra profitable juggernaut. And that policy is to deflect losses in business segments outside of the parks.

They will turn you upside down and shake you till the last quarter falls out. Because WE don’t check them. I’m not saying don’t patronize...but be adult enough to accept the reality of the truth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom