News Walt Disney Imagineering Leaving California, Moving To Florida... EDIT: Never Mind!

NobodyElse

Man, these bolded statement drive me bonkers about people ignorance. Especially about rain, snow and seasons in California. It also embarrassing to see people in Southern California like who live in LA calling California is a desert. No LA is Mediterranean. Where I live is desert.
Just for fun...

"One thing all deserts have in common is that they are arid, or dry. Most experts agree that a desert is an area of land that receives no more than 25 centimeters (10 inches) of precipitation a year. The amount of evaporation in a desert often greatly exceeds the annual rainfall. In all deserts, there is little water available for plants and other organisms."

I was taught (growing up in Orange County, CA) that we were in a technical Costal Desert. I believe this was based on average rainfall. On the other hand, we seem to have many areas that qualify more specifically as Chaparral, due to all the brush on our hills.

I bet the relocation package never mentioned ANY of this. :)

MoonRakerSCM

Ecology wise in the LA/OC/IE metropolitan area we are chaparral, grassland, wetland, and oak savanna. Most of this is gone/reduced due to urbanization but there are still remnants here and there if you look. Climate wise we are mediterranean and semi-arid. Desert is up over the mountains. If you're in LA, you're mediterranean, if you're in Chino you're semi-arid, if you're in Lancaster, you're in desert.

DLR92

Ecology wise in the LA/OC/IE metropolitan area we are chaparral, grassland, wetland, and oak savanna. Most of this is gone/reduced due to urbanization but there are still remnants here and there if you look. Climate wise we are mediterranean and semi-arid. Desert is up over the mountains. If you're in LA, you're mediterranean, if you're in Chino you're semi-arid, if you're in Lancaster, you're in desert.
I would consider Chino mediterranean. Lancaster is flat out desert. Palmdale is desert until you reach Acton, where mediterranean meet desert.

Vegas Disney Fan

Hey now, I don't need to understand other people's opinions because I live in Los Angeles and am better than them. It's cuz I live in a global class city unlike those second class idiots who do not.
You forgot to include “flyover state”, the simple fact Raven hasn’t used that term makes me think her comments are being exaggerated unfairly. She loves her city, she’s defended it, the fact she doesn’t think other cities match up to it isn’t a direct attack, even if we disagree with her 😉.

If she thought like the true “coastal elite”, looking down her nose at us inland inbred peasants, she would have tossed “flyover state” out a couple time already.

MoonRakerSCM

The ethnic food in LA County is tops.
Oh absolutely, it's top notch. Through covid I've been visiting all different parts of the U.S. and we're so spoiled here in LA. That's my personal problem with small towns is the limited options. Best example is Chinese food- here in LA we have multiple options from different culinary regions of China, while in most smaller cities/towns, there's 'the' Chinese place.

I certainly think that if I'd ever move to a smaller city out of California, I'd weigh less.

Trying to steer back to the thread topic, I haven't done much in Orlando proper but have done a few days west and south of it. Had some great food in Tampa... and I forget where in the middle of the state, but man did I have some good BBQ there.

Lilofan

Oh absolutely, it's top notch. Through covid I've been visiting all different parts of the U.S. and we're so spoiled here in LA. That's my personal problem with small towns is the limited options. Best example is Chinese food- here in LA we have multiple options from different culinary regions of China, while in most smaller cities/towns, there's 'the' Chinese place.

I certainly think that if I'd ever move to a smaller city out of California, I'd weigh less.

Trying to steer back to the thread topic, I haven't done much in Orlando proper but have done a few days west and south of it. Had some great food in Tampa... and I forget where in the middle of the state, but man did I have some good BBQ there.
Knew a guy that worked at DLR and relocated to work at WDW. He said the Asian food in Central FL is poor quality compared to Southern CA. Imagineers are in for a rude awakening.

Robbiem

The million dollar question for me is how many Imagineers are in LA because they dreamed of living in LA and how many are in LA because they dreamed of being an Imagineer? The majority of the first group likely quit and find a new job in LA, the second group likely move to Orlando because the where doesn’t matter as much as the job.

Good point. It would also be interesting to see how many people are locals and where they are in their careers. There is a big difference being you ger with few commitments to having kids in schools etc when you’re told to uproot and move sticks

lazyboy97o

The million dollar question for me is how many Imagineers are in LA because they dreamed of living in LA and how many are in LA because they dreamed of being an Imagineer? The majority of the first group likely quit and find a new job in LA, the second group likely move to Orlando because the where doesn’t matter as much as the job.
It’s an industry where people do move around, between employers and locations.

Lilofan

Didn’t mean to cause such a firestorm with the where to live comments. I just find it fascinating how different people like different things. Small town vs big city, 4 seasons vs 1 season, house with a yard vs condos… it’s a big country with options for everyone.

LA and Orlando may be very different cities but In regards to this thread it’s interesting to compare them from the perspective of an employee facing the decision to move or not move.

There was a time during the Eisner era that a number of Imagineers were fired after the debacle of the failed movie Treasure Planet around 9/11 time. One can create but if the results aren’t successful then employment may be short lived.

lazyboy97o

There was a time during the Eisner era that a number of Imagineers were fired after the debacle of the failed movie Treasure Planet around 9/11 time. One can create but if the results aren’t successful then employment may be short lived.
Imagineers don’t make animated movies. But like Imagineering, movie making tends to be project based so people being “laid off” after a project is pretty normal.

Lilofan

Imagineers don’t make animated movies. But like Imagineering, movie making tends to be project based so people being “laid off” after a project is pretty normal.
My bad. My paths got crossed. A number of Animators were fired after the failed Treasure Planet. Huge budget, little ticket sales to show for it. I agree, WDI lay-off when projects come to an end.

truecoat

I removed a lot of argumentative posts, some with political/social issues content, and some insulting. Behave.

Animated GIF

DLR92

I feel bad for those seniors that don’t want the move and made a legacy. I would have bite my tongue and say screw Disney and left. Leave them to find new talent and expertise. LOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom