Walt Disney Imagineering launches "Creative and New Experience Development" Team

IveBeenJack

Original Poster
So recently, I received word that President of Imagineering Bob Weis would be receiving a job title change to include a new division titled "Creative and New Experience Development".

Description that outlines this announcement: "In order to accelerate our progress in this area, it is critical that our teams are organized in such a way that we can establish clear vision and ensure constant focus. That is why, today, I am proud to announce that Bob Weis will take on the new role of President, Walt Disney Imagineering – Creative and New Experience Development.

In this critical role, Bob will oversee a highly talented, multi-disciplinary team, tasked with exploring, developing and bringing to market groundbreaking ideas that will add to the impressive portfolio of products and experiences that DPEP operates today. Additionally, he will continue to influence creative visioning within all of Walt Disney Imagineering."

Since then this has been confirmed on Bob Weis' LinkedIn Profile that reflects this new position.
Bob Weis 2.jpg

Furthermore, this is what I have been able to learn about this team so far. They will be focused on exploring ways of bringing the signature Disney Park "magic" to new venues around the world. This is said to be in pop-up consumer facing venues in popular tourist destinations/cities. There is talk of bringing one-off events of Disney Park nighttime entertainment/spectaculars/projection shows to new consumers in developing regions. Giving them a taste of the Disney Park "magic" (akin to Disney on Ice), which hopefully would entice causal fans that have been Disney+ or movies into visiting a nearby resort one day.

Obviously this is all in the very early EXPLORATORY STAGES. And should be treated as a rumour until confirmed by Disney.

Personally I could also see Disney looking into more immersive themed experiences like Galactic Starcruiser, VR play spaces and Escape Rooms in destinations in Asia, Middle East and South America. But that is my own speculation.

Thought I would share this, so if anyone hears more about the intentions of this new division, they can add to the discussion.

castlecake2.0

This is Disney taking business ops/financials away from Bob Weis and giving that part of his old role to someone else. It just lets him focus on the creative side of things.

The types of projects you described already were under WDI's scope and will continue to be.

Nothing more to see here.
Is this something along the lines of how they reorganized the Studio segment?

IveBeenJack

Original Poster
This is Disney taking business ops/financials away from Bob Weis and giving that part of his old role to someone else. It just lets him focus on the creative side of things.

The types of projects you described already were under WDI's scope and will continue to be.

You're right in saying that this is basically what WDI have always been about. But it's intriguing that there seems to be renewed interest in developing new experiences for consumer-facing locations and regions around the world. I was told that this could mean that a spectacular similar to Fantasmic! or a Projection Show could be toured. That is a new project at least to me. Now whether or not it will happen is another thing entirely...

Magic Feather

You're right in saying that this is basically what WDI have always been about. But it's intriguing that there seems to be renewed interest in developing new experiences for consumer-facing locations and regions around the world. I was told that this could mean that a spectacular similar to Fantasmic! or a Projection Show could be toured. That is a new project at least to me. Now whether or not it will happen is another thing entirely...
Traveling Disney experiences have been explored.

They are wholly independent of Bob Weis's new title.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member

I'm intrigued if biz ops/ financials would be taken away, who will take them? And what does that look like for WDI budgets when someone else is in control?

Serverfarm

Winner winner chicken dinner. No breaking news....
Kareem Daniels was his finance guy before getting the top spot (aka head of all franchise distribution basically). I'm sure at least 2 recently (less than 5yrs that is) hired mba's I know of will be likely gunning for that finance spot (vp in show engr, vp in construction). Mind that Weiss's retirement is eminent. Structure to be modeled after the new media organization and let the politics fly as they say.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom