News Walt Disney Company plans to spend $17 billion at Walt Disney World over the next ten years

Vegas Disney Fan

Stagnant for a decade?

It was consistently paying a dividend each year... it split in the mid 2000s.. then from 2011 onward was a rocket ship.. growing 5x in price in 10yrs while still paying it's dividend each year. It was growing as a huge conglomerate of everything media. It was expanding it's markets including lucrative divisions like P&R. Then coming out of pandemic, it doubled in price.. again.

You don't understand why anyone would have DIS on their radar?
Yes, the rocket ship happened from the downturn in 2008 to 2015, then it was stagnant for 4 years, then had a brief pop at the start of 2019 before coming back to earth, followed by a brief pop in 2021 before coming back to earth. The price today is the same as it was in 2015, so technically not a decade, 8 years.

If you bought before the pops and sold before the corrections you did well, if you bought Disney stock in 2015 you’ve got the same dollar value you had then, minus the healthy chunk you’ve lost to inflation.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
To the millions of mutual fund investors of Vanguard , TWDC continues to be an important part of select funds that many investors are riding their 401K on.
And don’t forget that DIS stopped paying a dividend in 2020 when Covid hit. Before that there were even more funds (both equity income and growth/income funds) who had DIS in their portfolio and needed to dump it. When they start up the dividend again end of this year it adds more coverage of the stock and more investors. The average analyst stock price target is $121. I think it all depends on how successful they are at reducing the streaming losses.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes, the rocket ship happened from the downturn in 2008 to 2015, then it was stagnant for 4 years, then had a brief pop at the start of 2019 before coming back to earth, followed by a brief pop in 2021 before coming back to earth. The price today is the same as it was in 2015, so technically not a decade, 8 years.

If you bought before the pops and sold before the corrections you did well, if you bought Disney stock in 2015 you’ve got the same dollar value you had then, minus the healthy chunk you’ve lost to inflation.
Plus the dividends you received from 2015 to 2020 :) I didn’t see if they said what the dividend will be later this year, but if it returns to $0.88 where it was in 2019 that is about a 2% dividend yield. 2-6% is generally considered a good dividend yield. I would assume they would start closer to 1.5-2% so maybe $0.66 to $0.90.

Edit: actually it looks like the DIS dividend was only paid every 6 months instead of quarterly so 2% yield on $0.88. $1.76 annually.

Last edited:

Indy_UK

That's whats missing now. Eisner had Wells to help and Iger has..... That IMO is the biggest problem right now. Iger doesn't have that creative sidekick.

I think these days that the current crop of WDI are also part of the problem. What they are churning out isn’t exactly the most incredible stuff we’ve ever seen.

Disney also hiring outside architects for these resort refurbs is also a very bad move.

Lilofan

I think these days that the current crop of WDI are also part of the problem. What they are churning out isn’t exactly the most incredible stuff we’ve ever seen.

Disney also hiring outside architects for these resort refurbs is also a very bad move.
Hiring outside experts, pay them for a job and when job is ended get them off the payroll. Keep the operation lean and efficient. Disney is not the only player in the game.

DopeyRunner

I wonder if part of that $17b was putting Josh D’Amaro’s face and a video of him on the welcome screen on the resort tv’s now.

@Sirwalterraleigh - it’s already made my checkin experience more enjoyable because I felt like I am the magic or something
Well that just sounds depressing. Quick question for you @GhostHost1000, if you are the magic and you’re not there when I visit, should I expect no magic? 🥺🥺😥

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Hiring outside experts, pay them for a job and when job is ended get them off the payroll. Keep the operation lean and efficient. Disney is not the only player in the game.
Indeed. Also... if you're not continuously putting up new hotels year after year, why would Disney need to have a full-time hotel architect?

Nubs70

I wonder if part of that $17b was putting Josh D’Amaro’s face and a video of him on the welcome screen on the resort tv’s now.

@Sirwalterraleigh - it’s already made my checkin experience more enjoyable because I felt like I am the magic or something
Josh needs to be the face of the Parks not Bob. Kind of like Kylo is the functional face of the First Order.

Bob needs to play the part of Snoke. The entity that is the leader of all the business units that make up DIS

GimpYancIent

Josh needs to be the face of the Parks not Bob. Kind of like Kylo is the functional face of the First Order.

Bob needs to play the part of Snoke. The entity that is the leader of all the business units that make up DIS
One modification Josh would be more like General Armitage HUX.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
…perusing the genie “lineup”…

It all stale…they need to refresh in the worst way.

But once they get rid of frequent high spenders like me…it will be magical for those one time whales from Denver

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
If we are the magic, does that mean we can bill Disney for our time? I work in consulting currently, and would very quickly recoup my costs if I’m expected to be the magic. I was kind of hoping to pawn it off on you 😂
If I ARE THE MAGIC!!! as DIsney has told us for the last 18+ months, then as an independent Magic consultant, my hourly rate to be the Magic when I'm in the parks starts at $250/hour (subject to change at any time to higher per-hour rates, based on mood) and then doubles after 8 hours in a day or after 40 hours over a week. Will they kick me out of the parks so I don't hit OT? What will happen to the Magic once I leave? Or, will they simply farm this all out to an India-based outsourcer for pennies on the dollar so they can be the Magic and tell people to "please do the needful"? Serious questions needing serious answers, people. We're talking about the MAGIC!!! here.

flynnibus

Premium Member

That’s not what ‘stagnant’ means :)

And anyone who sees their investment double and calls it ‘a brief pop’… I don’t think is actually active in the market

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom