News Walt Disney Company plans to spend $17 billion at Walt Disney World over the next ten years

lentesta

Premium Member
I went back and looked at domestic parks & resorts capex for the last decade (which includes Disneyland and Disney Cruise Line). I think these are the numbers:
Screenshot from 2023-04-04 09-05-45.png

Then I tried to calculate the value of a $17B capex over the next decade, with 4% inflation (stop laughing, okay?):

Screenshot from 2023-04-04 09-07-53.png

Don't me wrong - $17B is a lot of money for the local economy. But it doesn't seem too different than the last decade of spend. Taking inflation into account, it might be slightly less.

I don't know anything about accounting, so I could be completely wrong here.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
This thread is hilarious. Certain people on this board do nothing but complain about every move WDW makes, including whining that they don’t pour enough money into the parks for upkeep and expansion, etc. Then this announcement comes out and those same folks say “well, they won’t actually do it” or “that’s not really that much” or “they are just trying to spin” or words to that effect. If Universal had made this same announcement, these people would be saying “look at that, Universal just continues to get it right and dominate WDW.” It honestly makes you wonder why certain folks spend so much of their time on a forum entitled WDWMAGIC.

Anyway you slice it, this is a MAJOR announcement for WDW!
It’s not an announcement at all. In fact we’ve been around long enough to actually see announcements that never get off the ground or get cut budget wise in a big way. I hope it’s a good thing, but I won’t believe it until I see it. Wishful thinking though but I also know not to get my hopes up based on the past

Sorcerer Mickey

He has a fixed time limit, per the board.

That being said, I am betting now, this will just mostly be fixing all that they haven't kept up with. I simply can't see a 5th park. Just doesn't make sense.

But you can bet on at least 2 more DVC hotels
It would be great if it was a 5th parks' worth of rides spread out over the three gates not named Magic Kingdom.

Vinnie Mac

This thread is hilarious. Certain people on this board do nothing but complain about every move WDW makes, including whining that they don’t pour enough money into the parks for upkeep and expansion, etc. Then this announcement comes out and those same folks say “well, they won’t actually do it” or “that’s not really that much” or “they are just trying to spin” or words to that effect. If Universal had made this same announcement, these people would be saying “look at that, Universal just continues to get it right and dominate WDW.” It honestly makes you wonder why certain folks spend so much of their time on a forum entitled WDWMAGIC.

I saw someone say that 17 billion dollars will only translate to 2 E tickets and a DVC expansion. Haha...

Sorcerer Mickey

Do you remember when they announced Epcot's redo?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Oh…things must be so fun in your mental happy place today!!😍

Now…this is part of a larger, more important discussion about corporate governance, politics and the changing landscape…not a pep rally.

I look forward to your constructive comments on the multiple threads discussing this 👍🏻

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I went back and looked at domestic parks & resorts capex for the last decade (which includes Disneyland and Disney Cruise Line). I think these are the numbers:
View attachment 708516

Then I tried to calculate the value of a $17B capex over the next decade, with 4% inflation (stop laughing, okay?):

View attachment 708518

Don't me wrong - $17B is a lot of money for the local economy. But it doesn't seem too different than the last decade of spend. Taking inflation into account, it might be slightly less.

As usual…your take/numbers does a great job of keeping the discussion realistic. Thank you as always.

Disney Dead Head

View attachment 708516

View attachment 708518

That's one new Cruise Ship every year - Wish was actually $1.8

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
No, what he actually does is argue with anyone and everyone who dares to see things differently from him, and he does so with a rude and condescending tone.
You can see it however you want just as others can see it however they want.

I hate being negative about some things because we all love Disney and I still do, but some of us have been around long enough to see trends and when things are announced what may/may not actually happen as well.

I would love nothing more than $17B be put into attraction expansion, but I know that’s not reality

JusticeDisney

You can see it however you want just as others can see it however they want.

I hate being negative about some things because we all love Disney and I still do, but some of us have been around long enough to see trends and when things are announced what may/may not actually happen as well.

I would love nothing more than $17B be put into attraction expansion, but I know that’s not reality
And you can see things however you want.

gorillaball

No but whether you paid $25 or stood in line for 2 hours, the ride was still half working.
So you could in fact ride without paying $25, kind of like a bad clickbait headline - misleading.

And Woody's lunch box only grilled cheese and poptarts - I understand you are exaggerating but for a quick service place I think they have some pretty good options. Brisket melt - good, Totchos - good.

castlecake2.0

View attachment 708516

View attachment 708518

Is this for all domestic spending? Because I think the bob announcement was specifically just for WDW?

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
So you could in fact ride without paying $25, kind of like a bad clickbait headline - misleading.

And Woody's lunch box only grilled cheese and poptarts - I understand you are exaggerating but for a quick service place I think they have some pretty good options. Brisket melt - good, Totchos - good.
How it is misleading? The ride was half working. That was the headline. Whether someone paid for ILL or stood in line for 2+ hours, they would like the full experience

JusticeDisney

I think people would have a much more positive take if he said “We will be spending 17B on new lands and attractions in the next 10 years”.

However that is not what he said.
That’s a very fair look at it. Of course, even if that is precisely what he said, plenty of people would still say things like “oh, BS, I’ll believe it when I see it.” Anyway, I agree with you that, at this point, it’s all just words.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
That’s a very fair look at it. Of course, even if that is precisely what he said, plenty of people would still say things like “oh, BS, I’ll believe it when I see it.” Anyway, I agree with you that, at this point, it’s all just words.
I would be one that would still say I’ll believe it when I see it. Just like the Main Street Theater, Mary Poppins attraction and observation deck building at Epcot, Hyperion Wharf, Reflections Resort, etc etc

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom