Walt Disney Company fourth quarter 2020 financial results to be released mid-November

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Q: Credit Suisse: Math on India... 11 million subs, 2.5 million added? Cruise ship orders? What's viewership like

and we have the quarterly question from Wall Street *suggesting* dropping the theatrical windows and going back to big bucks from Netflix. Idiots.

A: Christine: no more detail on India numbers.

Bob: Cruise ships: CDC has strict protocols... so... hard... so, more delays. Maybe a "bubble" with vaccinated guests. New ships are still on the way (summer '22, '24, & '25).

Bob: Distribution of content: We're happy with windows and licensing.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Q: Citi: Reorganizing... are you sure?

A: Bob: Yeah, we're sure. We're being careful. And our investing in D+ is full speed forward. And linear is good while we (and the world) transition away from it.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Q: UBS: $18B in cash on the books. Spend more for content? Armchair CEOing. As if I haven't heard you say a thousand times that D+ content is king.

A: Christine: $23B from last quarter. We wrote off paper losses of $5B recently. Content production is up and running. Still ramping up production and investing in it. Tune in for Investor Day.

Bob: Yes, more doubling down on streaming. [DUH!!]

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Q: Guggenheim: Ad revenue Hulu decline, what's up with that?

Sports... what's up with cord cutting.

A: Bob: we got Hulu+ Live TV which will soak up cord cutters.

Christine: We still got strong ad buying, but it suffers in comparison to last year. More on investor day.

Lilofan

CFO Christine McCarthy was proud of the $2 Billion dollars in company synergy cuts and advised company even exceeded them. She advised there would be more " operational efficiencies " in parks and experiences. Synergy is the new term for layoffs and it is not rocket science to figure out what operational efficiencies mean.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Surprise, no investors asked about the thousands of Cast Members laid off.

So the investment “zebra” doesn’t have spots then?

CFO Christine McCarthy was proud of the $2 Billion dollars in synergy cuts and advised company even exceeded them. She advised there would be more " operational efficiencies " in parks and experiences. Synergy is the new term for layoffs and its not rocket science to figure out what operational efficiencies mean.

It seems from the synopsis from our fine feathered friend (TY) indicates that they have “cut the bull” with this call.

I’m encouraged.

ParentsOf4

CFO Christine McCarthy was proud of the $2 Billion dollars in company synergy cuts and advised company even exceeded them. She advised there would be more " operational efficiencies " in parks and experiences. Synergy is the new term for layoffs and it is not rocket science to figure out what operational efficiencies mean.
"Synergy is the new term for layoffs"

Sadly, no, it's been a layoff buzzword for some time.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Iger also used the term " synergy" when Disney and Fox did a merger. Not many knew what that meant until layoffs started happening before and during the merger.
Synergy with a merger always means cutting headcount. It’s not a secret buzzword, that’s literally what it means. If I buy a company and I combine it with my operation the synergies come from the duplicate functions I no longer need. At an over simplified level I have 2 CEOs and only need 1 so when I cut the 2nd CEO the cost saving goes down as synergies. Almost every merger of public companies relies on synergies to make it work financially. They aren’t all headcount related, in some cases you can combine corporate headquarters or cut IT maintenance agreements, stuff like that. They will usually quote an amount expected to be saved from synergies but with a large merger it may take years to fully achieve them. I don’t know what the cost synergies related to the Fox deal were or how long they are expected to take to achieve but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if they are still seeing cost reductions from it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom