Walt Disney Company 100 at [Cabochon] Disneyland

eddie104

1. The thing is, this isn’t even a Disneyland celebration. It’s a company celebration, and yet it still seems like it’s going to outdo WDW’s 50th.

2. WDW’s 50th merch was nothing to brag about.

3. I initially thought it was rushed as well, but given this was announced less than six months prior, and the decor has been going up this week, I’d say they’ve done a very good job with this.

4. We don’t give passes to TDA for the bare minimum over here in this sub-forum.

5. TDO is cheap.

6. Judge things accordingly, but you’re judging something that hasn’t even started and something you haven’t seen (the merch can absolutely be judged now and it’s not cute).
At this rate it’s about the same and not gonna outdo anything. Yea it’s not park specific but Disneyland is getting the most attention. I’m saying what I’ve seen so far isn’t that different to what they offered in Orlando.

TDO being cheap has nothing to do with anything considering this is in Anaheim. Diverting attention to WDW is a common tactic used by this board when something critical is said about Disneyland.
I wouldn't say WDW 50th had great merchandise TBH. Mostly I remember journals, extra blinged out princess playsets, and maybe a few shirts.

Even the WDW 50th book that I was ready to hand them money for was out of stock.

Not that I looked at this super in depth, but what did WDW 50th really have? Mediocre merch, statues, and a mediocre fireworks show replacing one that was beloved that isn't going to stick around permanently like they planned.

It wouldn't take much to beat WDW's 50th. There's no question that WDW 50th didn't live up to DL 50th or 60th. Heck, Tokyo DisneySea regularly gets anniversaries more elaborate than WDW's 50th!

I'll make the final judgment when I finish in July, but for now I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. At the very least, I find that even if this anniversary turns out to be a bit of a bust, it's unlikely that this will be inferior compared to WDW's 50th..
Am I missing something what does Disney 100th have that’s super spectacular and over the top compared to the 50th ?

Isn’t this suppose to be the bigger event because the whole company is being celebrated.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
At this rate it’s about the same and not gonna outdo anything. Yea it’s not park specific but Disneyland is getting the most attention. I’m saying what I’ve seen so far isn’t that different to what they offered in Orlando.

TDO being cheap has nothing to do with anything considering this is in Anaheim. Diverting attention to WDW is a common tactic used by this board when something critical is said about Disneyland.
You came in defending the 50th anniversary; of course TDO has something to do with that lackluster celebration lol. No one is diverting anything. I can bet the energy at Disneyland will outdo the energy of WDW’s 50th. We’ll see what WDW comes up with for the 100th celebration in a couple of months.

Last edited by a moderator:

PiratesMansion

Am I missing something what does Disney 100th have that’s super spectacular and over the top compared to the 50th ?

Isn’t this suppose to be the bigger event because the whole company is being celebrated.
Two new nighttime spectaculars that (at least so far) don't seem to suck and some evidence of thoughtful changes (ex. the new esplanade music loop).

It was not my intention to make Disney 100 sound like this big, epic event. It was instead to point out that by comparison WDW 50th brought almost nothing to the table. The biggest success of the 50th was...lights on a ball. Not going to lie, they look great, but at the end of the day, the 50th was very slight, but seemed to think it was doing SO MUCH.

Disney 100 should be bigger, definitely. It should be around the globe. But for a celebration that seemingly was put together on short notice, it seems like they are doing a better job at actually meeting what people want from a milestone celebration than WDW 50th. YMMV.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Hey, remember MK's 50th 'color' was 'earidescence' and completely failed to make anything iridescent, but instead painted a faux blue/purple/salmon ombré...

1674709303490.png

Well, guess what DL gets for the 100th...

... actual iridescence.

Centauri Space Station

Two new nighttime spectaculars that (at least so far) don't seem to suck and some evidence of thoughtful changes (ex. the new esplanade music loop).

It was not my intention to make Disney 100 sound like this big, epic event. It was instead to point out that by comparison WDW 50th brought almost nothing to the table. The biggest success of the 50th was...lights on a ball. Not going to lie, they look great, but at the end of the day, the 50th was very slight, but seemed to think it was doing SO MUCH.

Disney 100 should be bigger, definitely. It should be around the globe. But for a celebration that seemingly was put together on short notice, it seems like they are doing a better job at actually meeting what people want from a milestone celebration than WDW 50th. YMMV.
I feel like this will be pretty even to the 50th. I thought Harmonious was a good show, it just wasn’t a celebration. I think the food offerings paying tribute to the old restaurants and attractions of wdw were a nice touch. The gold statues were fine but nothing special. The 50th float on the electric water parade was actually a nice addition. While SSE point of light might not seem like much it managed to, for the most part, get near Universal approval across the board from people who are very against lots of changes happening in the park. The vault merchandise were pretty cool with past items from the 70s to present being available again, not sure DL probably does that often too though. The issue is that WDW 50 should have been on par with DLs and insider seem to say it was gonna be until the pandemic, but that could be an excuse and it would have been cut down to what it was anyway.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Hey, remember MK's 50th 'color' was 'earidescence' and completely failed to make anything iridescent, but instead painted a faux blue/purple/salmon ombré...

View attachment 694899

Well, guess what DL gets for the 100th...

... actual iridescence.

In this case, both resorts got it wrong. Isn’t this supposed to be a platinum theme, not iridescent?

Disney Analyst

Winds are high, so seems to be in a lower fountain mode. Show looks good so far, and it seems they have the fountains in the viewing area going for this one.

VJ

just watched a stream of the media preview of world of color one

honestly had no expectations but was still disappointed. film clips on water with no flow or story, and the oldest (disney) film represented is lion king. 3 seconds of walt and the show doesn't really bring anything new to the table as far as effects

west coast version of disney enchantment

Last edited:

mickEblu

honestly had no expectations but was still disappointed. film clips on water with no flow or story, and the oldest film represented is lion king. 3 seconds of walt and the show doesn't really bring anything new to the table as far as effects

Was there fireworks?

Notes from Neverland

honestly had no expectations but was still disappointed. film clips on water with no flow or story, and the oldest film represented is lion king. 3 seconds of walt and the show doesn't really bring anything new to the table as far as effects

Not to be that guy, but Star Wars predates Lion King. ;)

Californian Elitist

Original Poster

The original WoC isn’t very good. In fact, the only version of the show that I actually enjoy Season of Light.

One is the very last thing I’m looking forward to in terms of this celebration. Not expecting to enjoy it, but I’ll reserve judgement until I see it in person.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom