Walt Disney Company 100 at [Cabochon] Disneyland

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Yes, but this is because I live in Southern California and most of them are similarly from towns in Southern California.

Living in Ventura County, raised in the San Fernando Valley, and having family in the San Gabriel Valley and parts of north OC I find it interesting where people are from. But I also am way more interested in geography than the average person.

Since you were a CM is this something you liked talking about or is the character a preferred name tag listing in your mind? My days working front line customer service were limited to the movie theater back in the day so we didn’t have either but when it wasn’t packed I always liked small talking about movies with patrons (it beat arguing the price of popcorn or why I wouldn’t let someone’s kids in an R rated without an ID).

Actually, yes.

Not in detail, but our first day at WDW, as we went to pay for parking at Animal Kingdom, we saw that the CM's nametag said they were from Chicago. My family is from one of the western suburbs, so we were excited to see someone from our neck of the woods. So we told him, and he directed us to one of the closest spots to the park entrance.

I also talked with the server I had at Tiffin's (AK again) when I noticed that her nametag said she was from Anaheim, CA. I said that it was ironic that she was at WDW when she's from a town with another park, so we talked about that for a bit.

Nothing earth shattering, but they were nice moments that wouldn't have happened without the hometowns being included on their badges.

As mentioned above, it's a lot more fun at WDW where you truly see people from all over the world working there. It can be a conversation starter.

Finally, totally subjective, but to me, hometowns feel personal. Favorite character feels like "which IP do you shill for most?"
I’m also interested in where people are from. It’s partially why I love traveling so much. I want to hear about people, where they come from, where they’ve been, their upbringing, etc.

With that being said, I’m an extrovert and have no problem using a wooden pencil to start up a conversation with someone. When I moved to Massachusetts, my boss was shocked to learn that I had new friends, at least 10+, by the end of my first week. I believe pretty much anything can be a conversation-starter. I don’t even need that. If I want to talk to someone, I will just walk up to them, say excuse me, and start talking. I also believe anything can be personal for someone, not just hometowns. Getting a bouquet of flowers is personal for me because when I was little, my dad sometimes would come to our classes at school and take us to Universal CityWalk to see a movie, right after going to Pink’s in Hollywood to get a hot dog for lunch. This was always a surprise, but my sister and I always could tell if he was there for an actual emergency or a fake one because he would stand in the doorway of our respective classes with a bouquet of flowers for each of us when we would go on our field trips to CityWalk. Now, as an adult, I am positively triggered by receiving a bouquet of flowers, or even simply talking about a bouquet of flowers because of those memories I have as a kid with my siblings and my dad.

I am 100% unbothered by this likely temporary change. I personally don’t see this as shilling. We were just talking about Disney movies last week in this forum, ones that we’ve seen and thought were good or weren’t good and ones that we haven’t seen. Given we’re at Disneyland, it’s completely normal to talk about Disney there with guests and CMs. Even if it isn’t temporary, you can still talk to CMs about where they come from by asking.

I’m personally stoked about potentially roasting CMs for listing Star Wars or Marvel characters as their favorites.🤗🥳

I’m joking (or am I?).

Jambo Dad

I'm not sure it will be corrected. There seems to be this aversion to color in modern society. Not just among Disney, but in societal wide trends. In movies, stores, decor, you name it. Particularly bold colors.

"Modern" designs just seem to lack color and favor shades of white, beige, black, and brown as a general way of being, or so it seems to me.
Car colors really suck these days. No one picks anything interesting, even if offered.

waltography

Looking spiffy! They all look wonderful.

lots of news today!

new monorail wrap:

new mickey statue in town square:

new esplanade loop? (unconfirmed):

They're really going all in on that wishing star being a motif; does it count as subliminal marketing for Wish if it's everywhere and obvious? 😂

waltography

Saw another statue online by the Pixie Hollow fountains:

1674667709286.png

What are the odds that MagicBand+ will interact with these statues a la WDW 50th?

Disney Analyst

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom