Walt Disney Company 100 at [Cabochon] Disneyland

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Favourite character seems fitting for a Disney 100 specific name tag... but I guess find something to hate always forever?

ETA:

“Hate” was admittedly hyperbolic on my part but I don’t like the fact that this feels like a synergistic corporate move.. and I think a favorite character could have also been displayed in picture form on the pin too (while still keeping hometown).

Hometown felt more personalized to the individual. But ultimately it’s not gonna ruin anything.

Disney Analyst

Stolen from IG: castle decor looks complete, just need to turn fountains on. (Also highest turrets still missing their finials)

57F8C94E-4505-4AAA-87CA-F4F897607199.jpeg

PiratesMansion

Favourite character seems fitting for a Disney 100 specific name tag... but I guess find something to hate always forever?

ETA:

I guess how I feel about this depends on how long it sticks around. If this truly is something that will go away after the 100th, then fine, whatever.

But if this becomes standard forever? It puts a bad taste my mouth.

I guess at least that if there aren't two million tags that say ____________, California, maybe there will be more variety?

Disney Analyst

I guess how I feel about this depends on how long it sticks around. If this truly is something that will go away after the 100th, then fine, whatever.

But if this becomes standard forever? It puts a bad taste my mouth.

I guess at least that if there aren't two million tags that say ____________, California, maybe there will be more variety?

I'd say it would be a bigger loss at WDW, where there is a really interesting variety of CM's from all around the world.

Disneyland is legit... __________, California - hah

VJ

something i just realized: having the cm's hometown on their nametag blatantly disregards established disneyland canon and breaks immersion. as the tunnel at the park entrance says, "here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy." you're not in california anymore - you're in disneyland, hence the berm around the park

this in mind... doing away with it is fine with me, nostalgia or not

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Have any of you actually taken the time to talk to a CM about their hometown?
Yes, but this is because I live in Southern California and most of them are similarly from towns in Southern California.

Living in Ventura County, raised in the San Fernando Valley, and having family in the San Gabriel Valley and parts of north OC I find it interesting where people are from. But I also am way more interested in geography than the average person.

Since you were a CM is this something you liked talking about or is the character a preferred name tag listing in your mind? My days working front line customer service were limited to the movie theater back in the day so we didn’t have either but when it wasn’t packed I always liked small talking about movies with patrons (it beat arguing the price of popcorn or why I wouldn’t let someone’s kids in an R rated without an ID).

Consumer

something i just realized: having the cm's hometown on their nametag blatantly disregards established disneyland canon and breaks immersion. as the tunnel at the park entrance says, "here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy." you're not in california anymore - you're in disneyland, hence the berm around the park

I don’t see how it’s any different than having the American flag in the park.

PiratesMansion

Have any of you actually taken the time to talk to a CM about their hometown?
Actually, yes.

Not in detail, but our first day at WDW, as we went to pay for parking at Animal Kingdom, we saw that the CM's nametag said they were from Chicago. My family is from one of the western suburbs, so we were excited to see someone from our neck of the woods. So we told him, and he directed us to one of the closest spots to the park entrance.

I also talked with the server I had at Tiffin's (AK again) when I noticed that her nametag said she was from Anaheim, CA. I said that it was ironic that she was at WDW when she's from a town with another park, so we talked about that for a bit.

Nothing earth shattering, but they were nice moments that wouldn't have happened without the hometowns being included on their badges.

As mentioned above, it's a lot more fun at WDW where you truly see people from all over the world working there. It can be a conversation starter.

Finally, totally subjective, but to me, hometowns feel personal. Favorite character feels like "which IP do you shill for most?"

CaptinEO

The heck? So someones name now has another name under it? I'm Sarah Mickey Mouse! My name is Peter Peter Pan, walk right up to Johnathan Pluto over there!

Before it was clearly a name, then location. Now it is a name with another name underneath.

I get taking out the hometown for privacy reasons, but two names on one tag? LOL. What a confusing decision that had zero thought put into it.

Last edited:

CaptinEO

So does having a persons nametag say "Obi Wan Kenobi" on it in New Orleans.

I totally see this as some executives idea to add more product placement to the park. Now every CM has a little billboard they wear that says a Disney characters name.

Not a huge deal but my brain doesn't like two names on one nametag.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom