Walking the parks

WDWFan2018

Original Poster
The last 2 times I went to Disney, we rented a double stroller for my kids who were 4 and 2 and then 5 and 3. Next time we go, they will be 7 and 5. Would you still get a stroller? Maybe just a single one? My older child, who hasn't used a stroller at home since he was 3, used it a lot on our last 2 trips. I know it's a lot of walking and I'm just wondering what to do for my next trip. Should I still get a double? Is it weird for a 7 year old to sit in a stroller?

correcaminos

I would never consider putting a 7yo in a stroller (barring disabilities or the like). A 5yo IMO can walk as long as you don't go commando. Our last age for strollers for kids is 4. At 5 it was more than doable. Especially if the kids haven't used one in quite a few years regularly.

So yeah, I think it is very weird putting a 7yo in a stroller. YMMV. The 5 is more questionable but I still wouldn't unless they are very small for their age. Stroller free is quite nice!

WDWFan2018

Original Poster
I would never consider putting a 7yo in a stroller (barring disabilities or the like). A 5yo IMO can walk as long as you don't go commando. Our last age for strollers for kids is 4. At 5 it was more than doable. Especially if the kids haven't used one in quite a few years regularly.

So yeah, I think it is very weird putting a 7yo in a stroller. YMMV. The 5 is more questionable but I still wouldn't unless they are very small for their age. Stroller free is quite nice!

Thanks for your advice. The 5 yr old was my main concern because, like I said, we were there when my oldest was 5 and he used it quite a lot. But I'm sure he only used because it was available for him to use because I already had it for my 3 yr old. I will admit, the stroller was nice to have for storage and for keeping both kids contained in the crowds of people. I didn't have to worry about anyone wandering off haha. I think I will miss it for those reasons but I won't miss lugging it in and out of cars, buses, cabs etc...

correcaminos

Thanks for your advice. The 5 yr old was my main concern because, like I said, we were there when my oldest was 5 and he used it quite a lot. But I'm sure he only used because it was available for him to use because I already had it for my 3 yr old. I will admit, the stroller was nice to have for storage and for keeping both kids contained in the crowds of people. I didn't have to worry about anyone wandering off haha. I think I will miss it for those reasons but I won't miss lugging it in and out of cars, buses, cabs etc...

Our last trip with one was with a 4yo. I admit we hardly used it but wanted it because we were at BWV and the walks can be long to/from the parks. Most of the time we just parked it and left it. Then again my 4yo didn't use it at home at all and kind of felt too big for it (felt silly in it) most of the time in the parks.

So I get the 5yo might be more of a concern but it is doable I think. I thought I'd miss the stroller for storage but turns out we went darn near bagless every trip after that (we take a bag for ponchos if rainy). I also don't miss it on the buses LOL

But you have to pick what is right. Maybe a very small single? Even then it's hard to know if you'd use it.

Weather_Lady

It's up to you, and depends on your kids' fitness levels and stamina, and your itinerary. My kids have never used a stroller at WDW, and we first visited with them at ages 4 and 6. However, mine are very energetic kids, and although we walked 8-10 miles a day, we never toured for more than about 5 hours at a time (rope drop to lunch, back to the hotel for a nap/swim break, back to the parks for another 4-5 hours in the evening), and we took plenty of 5-minute snack/rest breaks throughout the day. We deliberately waited to go to WDW until we knew the kids were fit enough to walk around without a stroller, and have always been glad not to have that hassle (trying to navigate crowds with it, find places to park it, fold/unfold for transportation, etc.).

Last edited:

kimberlymautz

When we were there in 2016 with my daughter and niece (5 and 2 at the time) we had an umbrella stroller for my niece and my daughter used it twice. Once while we were waiting for the bus after MNSSHP, and that was about two hours past normal bedtime, and when we were at Epcot and she refused to drink any water and ended up dehydrated (I kept filling her bottle up, but here she was pouring it out instead of drinking it because "it's hot and the flowers are thirsty". Ugh!) And had to sit in it while I made sure she guzzled down water and relaxed in the shade for an hour. Kids. 😒😒😒

Driver

Amusing story slightly related to the OP's concern. Last night at MK a family with three children were walking out to the busses. One was a toddler second about 5, the third was 8. He had crashed in the stroller and the two younger ones were walking still !! The dad had to scoop him up to get on the bus and he never woke up! Thank goodness for the stroller in that case! LOL!

winstongator

The last 2 times I went to Disney, we rented a double stroller for my kids who were 4 and 2 and then 5 and 3. Next time we go, they will be 7 and 5. Would you still get a stroller? Maybe just a single one? My older child, who hasn't used a stroller at home since he was 3, used it a lot on our last 2 trips. I know it's a lot of walking and I'm just wondering what to do for my next trip. Should I still get a double? Is it weird for a 7 year old to sit in a stroller?
Our first trip, my daughters were 2.95 & 5.8 (almost 3 and almost 6). We rented a double stroller at the parks for them. Younger one didn't like the stroller, wouldn't ride in it, wouldn't walk. Did the whole trip on my shoulders (I'll find a pic). Older one rode in it a bunch, especially when she got tired. It can also take the pack off your back and carry your stuff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom