Walking or Running Sneakers?

wdwjmp239

I'm not sure what changed (other than age), but I usually buy a good pair of New Balance Running Sneakers that I'll break in about a month or so before I visit Disney World. On this last trip, however, I wore a pair of New Balance 409 cross trainer sneakers. What is usually a comfortable pair of sneakers for standing around and walking short distances in turned out to be the most uncomfortable things on my feet. It literally felt like someone was squeezing my ankles and jabbing pins into the bottom of my feet. After a full day at the Magic Kingdom your feet will be sore to an extent, but for even walking a few steps, my feet were sore.

So, here's my question - what sneakers do you use/recommend? Ladies - feel free to input your feedback as well because my wife is looking to change up her sneakers, as well.

Thanks! :)

cw1982

Personally, I would never wear running shoes for anything but running. They cost too much (for a good pair) and are designed for the impact of hitting the pavement hard. I've gotten blisters before when going on long walks (10-20 miles) because the shoes were providing the wrong kind of padding for what I was doing. I would do walking shoes or even high quality flip flops if they provide enough arch support.

Upvote 0

rt06

Nike Frees are light and airy. The material dries faster than the average leather shoe. There's zero support around the ankles, designed just to move forward. They squish really well when packing, too.

Upvote 0

KCheatle

I used only wear flip flops (Nike). 6 years ago, I could wear flip flops no problem. With each trip, however, I'm noticing that my feet/knees/hips are continually getting more sore on days where I wear flip flops :( So, on this last trip, I finally switched over to my Brooks running shoes.

I, unfortunately, have super flat feet, so I need structured shoes. But, if you don't, I would look for something that quickly dries after it gets wet. There's nothing worse IMHO than trudging around a park for hours in wet shoes!

Upvote 0

wdwjmp239

Original Poster
I wound up splurging and bought a pair of Brooks running shoes. These sneakers are a dream come true to my feet. I went from limping so badly with my other sneakers, which I confirmed are cross-trainers, to walking like a normal person in a matter of minutes. As a matter of fact, the Brooks running shoes I bought are so comfortable that I went back today to get another pair! I seriously went from a New Balance junkie to a Brooks fan in no time at all.

Upvote 0

cw1982

I wound up splurging and bought a pair of Brooks running shoes. These sneakers are a dream come true to my feet. I went from limping so badly with my other sneakers, which I confirmed are cross-trainers, to walking like a normal person in a matter of minutes. As a matter of fact, the Brooks running shoes I bought are so comfortable that I went back today to get another pair! I seriously went from a New Balance junkie to a Brooks fan in no time at all.

I love my Brooks running shoes but would never wear them at WDW because if I was wearing them all day every day at the parks, they would be worn down and wouldn't work for running anymore. If you're just planning to wear them for walking, that will work fine. Just know you'll likely need new insoles if you want to use them as running shoes after your trip.

Upvote 0

wdwjmp239

Original Poster
I love my Brooks running shoes but would never wear them at WDW because if I was wearing them all day every day at the parks, they would be worn down and wouldn't work for running anymore. If you're just planning to wear them for walking, that will work fine. Just know you'll likely need new insoles if you want to use them as running shoes after your trip.

I'm not a runner, so I don't have an issue. I like the extra padding the Brooks shoes have. Very comfortable. :)

Upvote 0

cw1982

I'm not a runner, so I don't have an issue. I like the extra padding the Brooks shoes have. Very comfortable. :)

Perfect! I just didn't want you to be disappointed. Wasn't sure if you do run or not. They are very comfortable but also a little pricy so just didn't want you to be surprised after the trip lol. I have two of the same pair now: my first pair is run down so they are my street tennies but I love them so much that I got a new pair just like them for running again lol

Upvote 0

SMS55

Something old. Even one month old sneakers are too new. Take your most broken in pair of sneakers. Disney is not the place to experiment with newer shoes. I always my two old pairs that have seen lots of walking or playing sports.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

I have found that if I'm going to wear sneakers in the parks, I prefer trail runners. They usually have more cushion to them than standard joggers. Sure, they grab a bit more when you walk, but the new pair of New Balance trail runners I bought are so much more comfy than my old Asics traditional joggers. Although, they don't glow in the dark like my Asics :(

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Shoes that are properly fitted to your fit are key.

However, more important to that is getting your body used to standing up all day. OP, as you said, your shoes are great for short periods of time, but hurt over longer periods of time. Most of us aren't used to being on our feet for 8+ hours straight. Over that amount of time, the size of your feet will change as they swell. You can minimize this somewhat by trying on shoes only after you have gone for a long walk/run. Some running stores only want you to try on new sneakers after you have done a 3+ mile run to make sure your feet have swelled some. But you spending more time on your feet will help some.

Upvote 0

KCheatle

I'm looking into these shoes made by Columbia (Drainmaker II) that are quick-dry tennis shoes. They look really cool. They are a little pricey (about the same as any new tennis shoe I would buy, though). I like the idea of being able to wear them on water rides and in the rain and not worry about a sopping shoe all day. I think I might get a pair and wear them in over the summer pre-trip.

columbia-womens-drainmaker-ii-multisportschuhe-us-6-37-grill-afterglow-320490578-0-150-07.jpg

Upvote 0

cw1982

I'm looking into these shoes made by Columbia (Drainmaker II) that are quick-dry tennis shoes. They look really cool. They are a little pricey (about the same as any new tennis shoe I would buy, though). I like the idea of being able to wear them on water rides and in the rain and not worry about a sopping shoe all day. I think I might get a pair and wear them in over the summer pre-trip.

columbia-womens-drainmaker-ii-multisportschuhe-us-6-37-grill-afterglow-320490578-0-150-07.jpg

Those are super cute! I want a pair :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom