Walking from Old Key West to Disney Springs

StefDisney

Original Poster
Hey everyone,

Arriving on Saturday but planning to stay off-site this year. However, we will be going to Disney Springs almost every night.

Is the trail from OKW to Saratoga (and then on to DS) still open this time of year?

As well, anyone know approximately how long the walk is?

Thanks!

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
I don't know if the path is open, but here's the distance and time it would take to walk... It's from the edge of OKW to the edge of DS,

1545843261549.png

correcaminos

Those blue dots are through the golf course and not meant to be used as a walker. You have to take the gray line route. If you walk the course you can get some unhappy golfers and CMs.

The path is open but it closes at dusk. That's the only stipulation.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The bus trip not including wait time is only about 10 minutes and will drop you off at a much more central location. They also will run much later into the evening.

The boat ride comes in at 20 minutes, but it is actually a pretty nice relaxing ride.

epcotisbest

I don't know if the path is open, but here's the distance and time it would take to walk... It's from the edge of OKW to the edge of DS,

View attachment 336142

While I am sure you are just trying to help, neither route you have marked is correct, as both cut through the golf course, which is not allowed. The pedestrian walkway follows alongside the boat canal the entire route. We have gone this route dozens of times, but always via bicycle.

866AEC3B-7C84-4ECF-96DB-F79BF8D4BC2D.jpeg

correcaminos

While I am sure you are just trying to help, neither route you have marked is correct, as both cut through the golf course, which is not allowed. The pedestrian walkway follows alongside the boat canal the entire route. We have gone this route dozens of times, but always via bicycle.

View attachment 336268
I was just coming to post that. I realized much later that both paths were in the golf course. You are effectively walking right by the canal the whole time.

In 2004, I made that walk once too and also took the boat back. I think the boat ride is more picturesque than going by a golf course in the blaring sun.
Not sure how the boat ride is more picturesque since it's pretty much exact same way as the path. I will say it's more relaxing, but not more picturesque.

Hcalvert

I was just coming to post that. I realized much later that both paths were in the golf course. You are effectively walking right by the canal the whole time.

Not sure how the boat ride is more picturesque since it's pretty much exact same way as the path. I will say it's more relaxing, but not more picturesque.

Well, considering it was about 15 years ago, all I remember while walking the path that I was going to die of heat exhaustion due to no shade available and didn't notice much of the view. I think I might have walked through the golf course as I do not remember being passed by the boat or seeing the treehouses and that is why I made the comment I did. I see the sign that someone else posted and I must have went the wrong way as it was the first time I visited the resort and only my second trip to WDW (first in 14 years). Of course, who knows if the sign was there nearly 15 years ago.

correcaminos

Well, considering it was about 15 years ago, all I remember while walking the path that I was going to die of heat exhaustion due to no shade available and didn't notice much of the view. I think I might have walked through the golf course as I do not remember being passed by the boat or seeing the treehouses and that is why I made the comment I did. I see the sign that someone else posted and I must have went the wrong way as it was the first time I visited the resort and only my second trip to WDW (first in 14 years). Of course, who knows if the sign was there nearly 15 years ago.
You are right, there is no shade. That and going through the course will give a different view. I think the path is nice if you aren't in the blazing sun. 15 years ago though SSR didn't exist so the view likely had changed some lol

Hcalvert

You are right, there is no shade. That and going through the course will give a different view. I think the path is nice if you aren't in the blazing sun. 15 years ago though SSR didn't exist so the view likely had changed some lol

Actually, I believe that Saratoga Springs just opened with phase I. I was at OKW in late May 2004.

correcaminos

You are right. Congress Park opened in May 2004.
Yep! And finished in 2009 with phase 4
Actually, I believe that Saratoga Springs just opened with phase I. I was at OKW in late May 2004.
Ah gotcha! I was doing math from 15 years, not knowing when you went (no I don't look at signatures closely LOL) so I was thinking 2003 or maybe early 2004 which meant it wasn't opened but just under construction at that point.

wdwjmp239

I recently stayed at Old Key West resort and with me being an early bird and long distance runner, I got up early and did a 3.68 mile run from our room in Bldg 55 (right next to the Conch Flats Trail sign) to Disney Springs. With it being June, a couple of days of rain, and just the humidity in general, there were gnats, mosquitoes, and all that good stuff Florida has to offer along the trail, but it was worth it. Very nice scenery along the way!

The actual intentions behind this run was I was going to register for and run the Southernmost Point Fun Run, but decided to go longer so I did this run the day before the fun run. Truthfully, I liked my route better and it gave me a chance to do a little sightseeing along the way. :)

One thing I will have to say is that the walkway between OKW, SSR, and Disney Springs does need some work...it is pitted in some areas and if you're not watching where you're going...you could twist an ankle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom