Walkie talkies

estherhead

Original Poster
Have any of you taken walkie talkies to WDW? Do the 10 mile radius ones work from park to park? If I were in Animal Kingdom could I talk to my sister at MK?

Any walkie-talkie/tips for travelling in herds would be helpful.

Esther

bad idea for me and my family...let me tell you, everyone in the park has a walkie talkie and its very very hard to find each other. I kept getting everyone else talking to me and not my family. Even with the different channels you may have, it ended up useless for us.

MonoRon

I don't think walkie talkies could work that far away, unless its one of those high powered ones. When we used them before we kept getting other peoples converstaions...make sure you find a channel no one else is using.

tigsmom

We tried the walkie talkies one year and they didn't work so well for us. Everyone overlapped each other and there were groups of teens answering calls and making jokes. The only time they worked was when my SIL called from the boat traveling from the MK to the WL.
Cell phones worked better for us... we have a family plan where the calls between phones are free.

rosebud's mom

It was the same for our family last week. No matter how many different channels we tried, we got endless garbled chatter from other people. We also switched over to our cell phones, and found that worked just fine. The brief, "we're at such-and-such, wanna meet for lunch ?" calls don't really amount to that many minutes anyway.

The funny thing is - I'm from Ohio. I had perfect reception virtually everywhere in Disney, but my phone won't work in my own home !

Hmmmm.......could I use that as an excuse for another trip ? :lookaroun

cru5h

should-be-BELLE said:
bad idea for me and my family...let me tell you, everyone in the park has a walkie talkie and its very very hard to find each other. I kept getting everyone else talking to me and not my family. Even with the different channels you may have, it ended up useless for us.
Same thing with us :/

wannab@dis

Exactly what TAC said...

We used the Multi-coded radios last year and only had a couple of instances where we got chatter from other people. Go with odd numbers. For some reason, I think people are attracted to even numbers, so select an odd channel and odd code (5-21). Don't forget you get what you pay for. If you pay $15 for the radios, chances are they won't work well at WDW. If you really want to communicate using the radios, go and get some name brand radios at Best Buy and expect to pay $50+.

megaelch

we use them in the parks

and usually within the boundaries of one theme park they work pretty well, but not from one park to another .. they are just too far away fromeach other and with all the buildings and steel structures they do not reach the maximum range !

Even within a park you might occur problems within buildings when standing in line for example in mission space or test track at Epcot !!

Have fun anyways...

Stephan

mikeymouse

We tried the Uniden 6-mile ones, they only worked for about 3/4 mile. The only way they would work for 6 is if you were in the desert where it is flat and there are no buildings or trees. The best thing to do is use your cell phones if you have mobile-to-mobile.

Testtrack321

tigsmom said:
We tried the walkie talkies one year and they didn't work so well for us. Everyone overlapped each other and there were groups of teens answering calls and making jokes. The only time they worked was when my SIL called from the boat traveling from the MK to the WL.
Cell phones worked better for us... we have a family plan where the calls between phones are free.

Ditto. It worked way back in 1999 before you could buy them for cheap at Costco or Sams, but yeah, they kinda lost their value.

wannab@dis

tigsmom said:
You & me both! Everytime I hear that I want to smash the dang thing! :drevil:
No kidding! I can understand walkie-talkies (normal or cell) at WDW, mall, etc. Great to get groups back together. We've used them and will continue doing so in several situations.

But I'm sorry... I really don't want to sit in the airport or restaurant (or PhilharMagic) and listen to your converstation and that blasted noise every sentence! Please, please, use some common courtesy. Not everyone wants to listen to BOTH sides of your conversation!!!!

bugsbunny

This was actually a topic of conversation at my office the other day in the kitchen. Somebody used the walkie talkies for a day and there was so much cross talk, it was impossible to know who you were talking to.

Finally, he just started pretending he was other people and saying he would meet them there, etc. Pretty mean, but I'm sure it seemed funny at the time. :fork:

I've been a loyal Nextel subscriber for 6 years now. Nextels rule!!! Period.

BenS

Me and my family used to use Walkie Talkies, but now that we all have cell phones we no longer have need for them.

gobuckeye@wdw

Account Suspended
USE CELL PHONES!!!!!!!!!!

They work VERY WELL in WDW!!!! But........ make sure you have free LONG DISTANCE!!!!!!! I didn't have have free long distance the last time and my cell phone bill was $98.23!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

But they work very well and it is never hard to get a signal in WDW!!!!

tigsmom

gobuckeye@wdw said:
USE CELL PHONES!!!!!!!!!!

They work VERY WELL in WDW!!!! But........ make sure you have free LONG DISTANCE!!!!!!! I didn't have have free long distance the last time and my cell phone bill was $98.23!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

But they work very well and it is never hard to get a signal in WDW!!!!
Thats why mobile to mobile is best...its free! :wave:

Mom's the word

I agree with the comments about all the other chatter you get from people outside your group. Aside from that, some members of our party would forget to turn on their WT's or keep them in backpacks which were inaccessible or whatever. It was a waste of time using them, especially since we had limited range. Go for the cell phones.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom