Walk Around the World to be removed.

s8film40

Original Poster
I just heard from a friend who maintains the bricks in the Walk Around the World that it will be removed in about 6 - 12 months. Apparently they have already stopped maintaining the bricks with the exception of keeping them level and smooth for walking on. The areas where the bricks are present are to be resurfaced presumably with pavement similar to what surrounds them. I know that this has been talked about for a long time but it sounds like there finally going to do it.

SirNim

From what I've seen online, it was "guaranteed" for a 10-year term. So, I remember mine were purchased around 1999/2000 so we've approached the 10 year limit. I've got 2 at the TTC near the Poly.

These bricks weren't visually obtrusive but rather melded nicely with the atmosphere around the Lagoon and were a neat thing for thousands of people. Given a choice, I'd rather leave these bricks and remove/relocate LaL (which is visually obtrusive, jarring, etc.) than vice versa. Yes, I'm biased. I don't have a LaL tile. Hopefully the new pavement is nicely textured, colored, and will last a long time.

RiversideBunny

Too bad that 'Walk Around the World' didn't actually let guests walk over to the Grand Floridain.
Just sort of stopped due to a canal or something.
A moveable bridge or some creative engineering could have overcome that obstacle.

IMHO
:)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
My first question would be why? I could understand replacing them with a solid surface that would require less maintenance. I could also understand replacing a damaged personalized brick with a standard one. But why would they pull up all of those bricks just to replace them with blank ones?

WDW Vacationer

From what I've seen online, it was "guaranteed" for a 10-year term. So, I remember mine were purchased around 1999/2000 so we've approached the 10 year limit. I've got 2 at the TTC near the Poly.

These bricks weren't visually obtrusive but rather melded nicely with the atmosphere around the Lagoon and were a neat thing for thousands of people. Given a choice, I'd rather leave these bricks and remove/relocate LaL (which is visually obtrusive, jarring, etc.) than vice versa. Yes, I'm biased. I don't have a LaL tile. Hopefully the new pavement is nicely textured, colored, and will last a long time.
I agree! And I don't have a tile or brick. I actuslly prefer the bricks to concrete. I don't prefer the tombstones to planters and fountains!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Walk around the world = Walk around a bit of Seven Seas Lagoon until guests figured it was another of Eisners money making schemes.....

dznygirl64

I personally loved the idea The EPCOT thing was stupid! We love having our names in stone in WDW.We visit it every year to make sure its still there.Wonder if there will be a way to get the stone when they take them out?Not all of Eisners ideas worked out for the best but he did save the company and the parks from certain doom.Ok now this is where you all scream at me and tell me Im wrong.Ok go ahead:lookaroun

s8film40

Original Poster
My first question would be why? I could understand replacing them with a solid surface that would require less maintenance. I could also understand replacing a damaged personalized brick with a standard one. But why would they pull up all of those bricks just to replace them with blank ones?

My understanding is that this is part of a plan to resurface the MK entrance area and TTC. The bricks require a lot more maintenance than a solid surface, so replacing them will save money. The bricks are continuously replaced or repaired due weathering and wear and tear. They are usually pressure washed every night and will only last so long. I don't believe they will be replaced by blank bricks from what I understood it would be solid concrete like the rest of those areas have.

EPCOTPluto

Odd. I also have an LaL tile. Two, in fact. I am not biased either, but I never had bought a brick, no matter how much I wanted to.

I think it was neat then and still, but why the epic replacement with blank bricks instead?

vonpluto

Walk around the world = Walk around a bit of Seven Seas Lagoon until guests figured it was another of Eisners money making schemes.....

But at least WAtW is a practical thing. A walkway. It is not unsightly like the Graveyard.

Perhaps TDO is one upping Eisner:

"That's right Disney fans, on your next visit to the Walt Disney World Resort, stop by the Walk Around the World Reclamation Station located at the entrance to the Magic kingdom.

For only $$$$, you can reclaim your Walk Around the World Brick. Take it home! (Removal, shipping &handling not included)

Want to repave your driveway? Blank bricks available!

Want to tick off that ex-old friend?
We'll sell you their brick!

All sales final.
Installation available on request.
Not available to residents of the Channel Islands."

:rolleyes:

hpyhnt 1000

My understanding is that this is part of a plan to resurface the MK entrance area and TTC. The bricks require a lot more maintenance than a solid surface, so replacing them will save money. The bricks are continuously replaced or repaired due weathering and wear and tear. They are usually pressure washed every night and will only last so long. I don't believe they will be replaced by blank bricks from what I understood it would be solid concrete like the rest of those areas have.

While we're resurfacing the TTC, can we go ahead and gut the reaminder of the place and get rid of the gaudy colored metal arches? How about add a few more planters and topiary? In short, can make the TTC a bit more welcoming and modern-looking rather than the horrid clash of rusting metal and clashing paint thats there now?

Shame about the Walk. I agree, some sort of solution could have been found to connect the GF path across the canal. That was the only missing link really (apart from the gap between the TTC and Contemporary); I just don't understand why it wasn't done.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If that is the case I can at least see some logic in it but I do not think that anyone could argue that plain gray concrete will be considerably less visually appealing than the bricks.

WDW Vacationer

But at least WAtW is a practical thing. A walkway. It is not unsightly like the Graveyard.

Perhaps TDO is one upping Eisner:

"That's right Disney fans, on your next visit to the Walt Disney World Resort, stop by the Walk Around the World Reclamation Station located at the entrance to the Magic kingdom.

For only $$$$, you can reclaim your Walk Around the World Brick. Take it home! (Removal, shipping &handling not included)

Want to repave your driveway? Blank bricks available!

Want to tick off that ex-old friend?
We'll sell you their brick!

All sales final.
Installation available on request.
Not available to residents of the Channel Islands."

:rolleyes:

Cool!

:lol:

:lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom