Voyage of the Little Mermaid is done, won't reopen with the parks.

ToTBellHop

I think for $150+ mil more they could have built MMRR elsewhere (say VotLM), updated GMR and integrated a Speedway type attraction in and around Slinky Dog Dash for a 4th ride in that area.
Yep. Instead they’ll do none of that and be forced to approve a $400,000,000 CGI Young Indiana Jones ride that no one will like because it doesn’t have Harrison Ford. As was stated, though, that will be an issue for executives who didn’t make the choice to close GMR. Wonder if they’ll even say, “gee, we screwed the pooch back in 2016! That was a bad call!” or if they won’t even know that call was made since they were still in college in 2016.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The Mermaid/WDP complex is 1.1 acres. For comparison, TSM is 1.4 acres with the third track...

1596341412956.png

doctornick

The Mermaid/WDP complex is 1.1 acres. For comparison, TSM is 1.4 acres with the third track...

View attachment 488529

I'm not sure how much space the Toy Story restaurant is going to use (it's not show since that's an older photo) but couldn't - in theory - One Man's Dream be preserved and the black box ride be building with VOTLM and backwards to include where the parking is shown?

That sad, while I think this ride concept would be relatively cheap to impliment, we all known that investments are going to be shot to come by in upcoming years, so I'm not holding my breath about seeing it any time soon. And by the time that money becomes available, they may move onto a totally different idea.

I do hope that whenever anything actually gets done that they tear down (or repurpose) the old Animation Bldg/Launch Bay and make that area into a proper well developed land. I still think a "Toontown" concept would work best and would go along with the black box ride if they stick to using it to showcase animated films.

Robbiem

This would be the perfect time and place to create a full Toontown experience...CarToon Spin is a great ride.. and there are others they could add...Seems like Toontown should have been built decades ago in this spot...It certainly makes sense within the design and structure of the park.

I think a toontown area would be a great idea for the park. I love Roger and co but you could easily just base on the fab five if there are rights issues. Cartoon spin themed to the goofy how to cartoons or maybe Donald would be fun especially if it used trackless tech.
unfortunately i think putting runaway railway in the chinese theatre and building toy story land pretty much means this will never happen

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
......global pandemic, numerous projects shelved and indefinitely on pause. Company at large experiencing record losses.
On pause is not canned. Especially when the ride is question has no theming to change or modify.

MickeyMouse10

I wonder what Disney has up their sleeves in the next 4 to 5 years.

I don't care for most of the attractions in the Animation Courtyard area. They can possibly demo Mermaid, Launch Bay and Disney Junior. Plus the section behind Sunset Ranch and have a big chunk of real estate.

MaximumEd

That sounds about right. They still haven't replaced Stitch, which went to seasonal in 2016 (I believe).

Yep. Even in the best of times for them moneywise you had attraction and restaurant space that sat unused in MK, previously accessible areas in World Showcase turned into storage, as well as 2 giant vacant show buildings that were never used, a 30 year old Studios that is still woefully under built, and ditto with AK. If they wouldn’t spend it when they had it, they aren’t spending now or in the near future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom